INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image conversion for Gizmo / Library Server [ADVICE WANTED]  (Read 1049 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

On the to-do list for tomorrow is adding the ability for Library Server to do on-demand image conversion.  Both Gizmo and Library Server will use this.

It gets a little complicated with Library Server, so we wanted some advice.

During playback, it seems reasonable to download and display the image at the resolution of the monitor, say 1080p.

But then, is it important to work in the background getting the full resolution copy?  This adds complexity, and it will push the network to 100% for a big file which bogs down a netbook or slower laptop.  However, it's hard to check focus of a picture without the full resolution copy.

Next, when should it get a lower resolution copy?  It seems like playback should always get the lower resolution image.  But image editing should probably always get the full resolution image.  How about the image preview window?

Thanks for any advice.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: Image conversion for Gizmo / Library Server [ADVICE WANTED]
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:51:36 pm »

I think that image editing should be done using the full library, not the library server client. I'd even remove the ability to do it from a client.

I also wouldnt want my LS clients to download the full res images. My raw files are 30mb each. I want the ability to tag, stack and organize my photos from a client. Thus, the resolution of the client image only needs to be large enough to check focus etc. on an image. I'd say that 1080 lines of resolution would be quite satisfactory for that.

Finally, I dont want my server to have to convert the images on demand from scratch every session. That means that there will always be a delay, every time I want to see any image. I'd prefer some kind of cache that resides on the ls client machine, or if the ls client is on the local network, to be able to use the raw cache that the server has generated.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 04:24:05 am »

I notice that the new option is a Library Server Client option. Is the client downloading the whole image and then converting it? Is there no way to make the server do the work?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 06:27:46 am »

I notice that the new option is a Library Server Client option. Is the client downloading the whole image and then converting it? Is there no way to make the server do the work?
No, I believe the client requests a converted file.  The server does the conversion.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 10:14:10 am »

I use a client to do lots of tagging etc on my libraries. I don't do image editing that way, but I can see it useful to some and it should be the full resolution image. Preview and Playback should be a converted image. I would see if the "low res" image is good enough to check focus or not (via user feedback) and push a higher res image only if needed.

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:23:27 pm »

1. Can you tell us what happens when LS clients try to view a RAW file. Does it grab the jpeg from the RAW cahce, or is it supposed to generate a new smaller jpeg like with other image types? At the moment I still cant successfully see a raw image on a LS client.

2. The location of the image conversion options in "Options" would appear to imply that they are only related to DLNA. But they work for LS too right? Perhaps the layout could be jigged around a bit.

3. I'd like an option to have the cache persist between sessions. Preferably on the server so that any client can quickly have access to low quality conversions. The same with the new video conversion option.
Pages: [1]   Go Up