INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is anyone successfully bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD and DTS-H in MC15 using ffdshow  (Read 29182 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I just built a new 13/H57-based HTPC. Using MPC-HC, I can bitstream HD audio, in mkv and mt2s files, perfectly to my Onkyo receiver. That's using Win7 x64 and 64-bit versions of MPC-HC and ffdshow.
In MC15, I can only (partially) successfully bitstream TrueHD when using Haali splitter and DTS-HD MA using the standalone Matroska splitter (all 32-bit versions, of course). It might be the way around with regards to the splitters - I forget. I say partially successful, as some files play fine and others stutter and break up. Can anyone who has it workign fine all the time, please post the filters they're using? I mean, including version numbers and any non obvious settings. Thanks very much in advance.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

I've found a temporary workaround for my problem. I've lamented in the past that playback options and filter selection is based on filetype, not codec, in MC. If it were by codec, the workaround would be simpler - assign files containing DTS-HD MA or TrueHD audio to be opened by MPC-HC.
Instead, I've created a new filetype which I've associated in Windows to be opened by MPC-HC. HD audio-containing files are renamed with this new extension. I have to manually tell MC that these are video files (I call them .mkva). The .mkva doesn't show up as a filetype in MC's options, of course, but trying to play one of these files will open MPC-HC automatically, which is a good enough workaround for now. I much prefer the MC UI in display view, with the OSD etc., so my first question still stands - if anyone else is bitstreaming HD audio in MC15, please let me know how.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

I'll take the silence as a "no"? Really - nobody is bitstreaming HD audio? Do you audiophiles not concern yourself with high quality sound from movies?

HiFiTubes

I'll take the silence as a "no"? Really - nobody is bitstreaming HD audio? Do you audiophiles not concern yourself with high quality sound form movies?

LOL. I'm game to check this out but I'm not sure I can help. I'm a luddite when it come to video-related audio.

I haven't really looked at what type of audio is spit out of my high-res MKV files. Would these have "HD audio".

I have an external DAC and Lynx AES16 card but as I explained here today, I have tried to simplify things by just using "analog connection" as I ran into problems I didn't have time to troubleshoot.

What do you recommend for a filter setup first of all. I installed Shark this time around on this new build.

Should I un-install and start with CCCP, but manually install a newer version of FFDShow? Manuall install a Haali not packaged with CCCP as well?

thanks

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

LOL. I'm game to check this out but I'm not sure I can help. I'm a luddite when it come to video-related audio.

I haven't really looked at what type of audio is spit out of my high-res MKV files. Would these have "HD audio".

I have an external DAC and Lynx AES16 card but as I explained here today, I have tried to simplify things by just using "analog connection" as I ran into problems I didn't have time to troubleshoot.

What do you recommend for a filter setup first of all. I installed Shark this time around on this new build.

Should I un-install and start with CCCP, but manually install a newer version of FFDShow? Manuall install a Haali not packaged with CCCP as well?

thanks

The majority of mkv files "out there" before 2010 only had AC3 of DTS, so not HD-audio. A much higher percentage now have TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. Shark's codec pack is probably the best according to most of the reports I've read. As a bonus, the Shark007 frequents AVSforum, so you cna get advice directly form the person who assembled the pack. Having said that, I prefer a minimalist approach to keep things lean and simple.

When I have an nVidia GPU:

I use MPC-HC's standalone Matroska Splitter whenever possible. Haali otherwise.
CoreAVC with CUDA support active
ffdshow audio filter for almost every format of audio
ffdshow subtitle filter

For my i3/H57 or an ATi GPU:
I use MPC-HC's standalone Matroska Splitter whenever possible. Haali otherwise.
MPC-HC's standalone Video decoder set for DXVA of h264/VC-1
ffdshow audio filter for almost every format of audio
ffdshow subtitle filter

I don't really need anything else. Codec packs? Never again! I'm close enough to the cutting edge of video that I wouldn't touch CCCP no matter how much it's recommended. I might have tried Shark if I wasn't so close to a perfect setup given what I have now. In fact, it IS perfect when I use MPC-HC for playback.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Sorry, I love my High Res sound but I decode on the HTPC and send as LPCM over HDMI via Reclock as the Audio Renderer.  If I playing a Bluray disc or ISO I use TMT (launched from MC).  For MKV/M2TS containers I use MC/FFDSHOW.  The lack of a direct show DTS-HD filter has me using the ISO merhod, though I have played with transcoding the DTS-HD tracts to both PCM or FLAC ink MKV containers.

Just can not help on bitstreaming (though with the recent releases of FFDSHOW, it "should" work fine.)
JRiver CEO Elect

HiFiTubes

I seem to have DirectVobSub installed (from Shark?); is that different from FFDshow subtitle filter?

@ JMONE - what content are you using Reclock with? Some on Head-Fi are claiming it is superior for audio rendering of flac etc.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Sorry, I love my High Res sound but I decode on the HTPC and send as LPCM over HDMI via Reclock as the Audio Renderer.  If I playing a Bluray disc or ISO I use TMT (launched from MC).  For MKV/M2TS containers I use MC/FFDSHOW.  The lack of a direct show DTS-HD filter has me using the ISO merhod, though I have played with transcoding the DTS-HD tracts to both PCM or FLAC ink MKV containers.

Just can not help on bitstreaming (though with the recent releases of FFDSHOW, it "should" work fine.)

You've mentioned this before in my similar thread about decoding HD audio. SOmething is puzzling me because I've seen guides on how to incorporate Reclock when bitstreaming. Is that not possible? In the end I broke down and left the nVidia/CUDA camp because of their lack of support for bitstreaming. Now, with the capability announced in their new cards, I may go back. For now, though, the i3/H57 combo is doing amazingly in bitstreaming and decoding 1080p h264 material.

The problem remains in MC15 - I can't consistently get one set of filters to bitstream both TrueHD and DTS-MA; one works with Gabest's splitter and the other with Haali. That, plus I have to install both the 32bit and 64bit versions of ffdshow filters - 32 bit for MC and 64 bit for MPC-HC. I wish someone who has it working perfectly in MC could lend a hand here. Maybe SamuriHL will figure it out, or what the problems are, if any, so they can be fixed?

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

You've mentioned this before in my similar thread about decoding HD audio. SOmething is puzzling me because I've seen guides on how to incorporate Reclock when bitstreaming. Is that not possible? In the end I broke down and left the nVidia/CUDA camp because of their lack of support for bitstreaming. Now, with the capability announced in their new cards, I may go back. For now, though, the i3/H57 combo is doing amazingly in bitstreaming and decoding 1080p h264 material.

The problem remains in MC15 - I can't consistently get one set of filters to bitstream both TrueHD and DTS-MA; one works with Gabest's splitter and the other with Haali. That, plus I have to install both the 32bit and 64bit versions of ffdshow filters - 32 bit for MC and 64 bit for MPC-HC. I wish someone who has it working perfectly in MC could lend a hand here. Maybe SamuriHL will figure it out, or what the problems are, if any, so they can be fixed?

It's on my list of things to look into for sure as I'd like to get ffdshow working in MC15.  That's one of my big goals I just haven't had time to sit down and play with it too much yet.  Maybe this weekend I'll get a chance to work on it and see if we can get MKV's with DTS-HD MA and TrueHD bitstreaming from MC15.  As for Haali, it doesn't work well for DTS-HD MA for me.  I'm using MPC and/or SMM splitter.  I have a batch file that can quickly switch between all 3 splitters.  But here's a question I didn't think of until just now...MC15, 32 bit only?  If so, that's going to cause me some issues in my setup because I have 32 bit world set up specifically for RipBot and the 64 bit world setup for playback.  If its 32 bit only I can work with that but it'd explain why things aren't entirely working for me.  :D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Welcome SamuriHL, I'm sure your experience with FFDSHOW/reclock will help those poor misguided bitstreamers like yourself!

fitbrit, reclock works with bitstreaming but is not the recommended approach as it drops/adds audio packets instead of resampling the PCM stream.

JRiver CEO Elect

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

Well that was easy.  Done.  :D  On my machine I have WMP and 7MC set to use ffdshow dxva for video and ffdshow for audio bitstreaming.  So I configured MC15 for Matroska files to simply use WMP settings.  Oh look, TrueHD.  :D  Oddly I'm not seeing the ffdshow icons on the taskbar, but, I'm getting TrueHD bitstreaming.  :D

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

One small detail on that.  I'm not able to get subtitles to work.  And without the ffdshow icons showing, that's highly problematic.  I'll have to play around with this some more, but, hey, MKV's, full bitstreaming....not bad for a first attempt.  :D

swinster

• World Citizen

Don't know if this will help, but I'm looking to get a Video Card capable of outputting full resolution HD Dolby and DTS audio bit streaming via HDMI. AFAIK, the main issue in doing this is with regard to the Protected Audio Path, which needs to be implemented in the hardware, drivers and software. PowerDVD and TMT latest version offer support for some cards, whilst WinDVD employs some kind of mechanism that allows bit streaming that seems to allow it with cards that maybe shouldn't even work. Then there is the ffdshow method which also seems to work in a lot of cards.

I am interested in the new Nvidia 460 (or 450 when it comes out) and there seems to be ways in which some of these methods can be utilised to output full definition bit streamed audio using some of these methods. Check out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18975407#post18975407 for more info in this card - plus there are many thread that talk about this issue.

Not exactly sure where MC15 fits into the picture - it maybe just this it will become a launcher for something like WinDVD, but I hope that there would be a better solution.I'm not sure where MC15 currently stands with BluRay support either.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

PAP isn't involved in what we're trying to do.  It's more akin to what WinDVD does in Media Foundation classes which is to use the new bitstream types.  ffdshow bitstreams perfectly in all DShow apps.  The question is how to get it directly integrated with MC15.  Since I'm new to MC15 and don't know all the ins and outs yet, I don't have a great answer for that.  But so far I've been able to tell it to use my WMP settings and it's bitstreaming with that.  So, not bad for the moment.

swinster

• World Citizen

Nice - SamuriHL, I see you are active in AVSForums so I would love to see some help towards pushing MC15 on. There are somethings it does well but other things it does poorly. I would love to see a nice integrate HD Def video/audio feature

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

Yea, I'm active all over the place.  :D  I'd like to see that, as well.  First, for me, is to learn this product inside and out.  That's going to take me some time.  Thank jmone for getting me to try it.  :)  I really do like it though.  There's a bunch of things I'd like to see if it can do in my environment.  Bitstreaming MKV's with subtitle support is obviously job number 1 for me.  But, I'm interested in the tv recording stuff and perhaps the music library stuff, as well.  I have a Droid, so, if it can manage my Droid's music library with iTunes that'd be nice.  Anyway, we'll get this bitstreaming thing sorted out I'm sure.

swinster

• World Citizen

Yea, I'm active all over the place.  :D  I'd like to see that, as well.  First, for me, is to learn this product inside and out.  That's going to take me some time.  Thank jmone for getting me to try it.  :)  I really do like it though.  There's a bunch of things I'd like to see if it can do in my environment.  Bitstreaming MKV's with subtitle support is obviously job number 1 for me.  But, I'm interested in the tv recording stuff and perhaps the music library stuff, as well.  I have a Droid, so, if it can manage my Droid's music library with iTunes that'd be nice.  Anyway, we'll get this bitstreaming thing sorted out I'm sure.

Good - when you've done all this give a shout :) Although technical, I'm no developer and things seem to be going slower now I'm older! Still, TV support in MC is poor - I would love to see TV serving - after all it is called Media Centre. The remote things is also good, again something they have been working on. I'm lining up a HTC Desire just so I can get this functionality.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

Oddly I'm not seeing the ffdshow icons on the taskbar...

Currently MC disables the FFDShow and Haali icons. They caused some problems because MC's background importer can launch several decoding tasks when it analyzes new files and creates thumbnails from the video content. The filter configuration windows are accessible by right-clicking the display, but that is not the same as having the tray icon menus available. However, I have a reason to believe that this will be optional in the next public build.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

Currently MC disables the FFDShow and Haali icons. They caused some problems because MC's background importer can launch several decoding tasks when it analyzes new files and creates thumbnails from the video content. The filter configuration windows are accessible by right-clicking the display, but that is not the same as having the tray icon menus available. However, I have a reason to believe that this will be optional in the next public build.

Aha, awesome.  Thanks for the info!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Hey SamuriHL!
Welcome to the Interact Forums and MC. I'm a big fan of your work on doom9, albeit mostly silent. Thanks to jmone for bringing you aboard, and to you for coming. I'm looking forward to seeing what come about with your testing, and Yaobing working, on video.

I'm still learning new features of MC on a weekly basis after almost three years! I was a huge iTunes fan, but now I avoid it as much as possible; it doesn't compare to the depth and breadth of MC15. And that's just the audio part of it.

Right now I'm able to bitstream DTS-MA and TrueHd using Gabest's splitter, mpc-HC video decoder for dxva and ffdshow. However, some files cause stuttering with dts-MA, such as my Avatar rip; I hadn't noticed the lack of subtitles with ffdshow subtitle filter, but I'll check it out in say, Clash of the Titans. Also, I'm using EVR; there was some work being done to get MadVr working with MC, but that may have stalled.

Great to hear you got it all working by using wmp settings in MC. I would try that but I'd have to read up/learn how to correctly set up WMP for bitstreaming first.

P.S. I just checked, and subtitles work inMC15 with  Clash of the Titans for me, bitstreaming DTS-HD MA with the filters/splitter I mentioned above. However, there is still stuttering and some freezes every now and again. Not present in MPC-HC.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

It's quite simple to set up.  Google for Win7DSFilterTweaker.  See if that helps with the stuttering. 

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

It's quite simple to set up.  Google for Win7DSFilterTweaker.  See if that helps with the stuttering. 

Thanks for the suggestion; it didn't really do anything for the stuttering in MC15 though. I'm wondering whether an i3 530 is up to the task of decoding a very high bitrate h264 mkv in MC15 - it's a little more resource hungry than MPC-HC I'm willing to bet.

When I try to play an mkv using wmp (after doing the Win7DSFilterTweaker) I still get nothing - i.e. playback doesn't even start in MC15. I'll have to look into this deeper.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

Are you sure you're getting DXVA decoding?  If not, that could be the source of the stuttering.  What's the CPU utilization when playing a file that stutters?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Are you sure you're getting DXVA decoding?  If not, that could be the source of the stuttering.  What's the CPU utilization when playing a file that stutters?

Very good point - I'll have to check this. Perhaps I forgot to configure the 32 bit MPC-HC decoder for dxva; MPC-HC 64 is using the native 64bit version of course, so that could be a difference.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Very good point - I'll have to check this. Perhaps I forgot to configure the 32 bit MPC-HC decoder for dxva; MPC-HC 64 is using the native 64bit version of course and displays dxva upon playback, so that could be a difference.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

I hope that's the issue.  Very simple to fix that one.  :)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

I hope that's the issue.  Very simple to fix that one.  :)

Oh Jeez... that was it. I went into the mpc-hc decoder standalone configuration and removed the option to decode h264 without dxva; sure enough the videos wouldn't play, suggesting that they can only utilise CPU decoding in MC15. I'll have to look into why this is, as the same filter (I think) set in MPC-HC 64 does DXVA nicely. I've been used to CUDA or DXVA for so long that it's almost inconceivable to me that that was my problem. Thanks for stating (what should have been) the obvious. :)

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

Oh Jeez... that was it. I went into the mpc-hc decoder standalone configuration and removed the option to decode h264 without dxva; sure enough the videos wouldn't play, suggesting that they can only utilise CPU decoding in MC15. I'll have to look into why this is, as the same filter (I think) set in MPC-HC 64 does DXVA nicely. I've been used to CUDA or DXVA for so long that it's almost inconceivable to me that that was my problem. Thanks for stating (what should have been) the obvious. :)

No problem at all.  Any time!  :D  I'm glad it turned out to be something simple though.  That's what it sounded like to me when you described the problem.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

So no matter what I tried, I couldn't get DXVA to work with the MPC-HC standalone filter. CPU usage was at about 28% during the stuttery scenes, but only 8% in MPC-HC with DXVA enabled. I think it may have something to do with the renderer or Vob Sub because an error message would come up saying I didn't have a filter for the new track. Then playback in MC15 would start, but relative high CPU and still the stuttering and freezes. In the end I got it working with ffdshow DXVA video decoder. I enabled post-processing for subtitles as the instructions indicated.

Now I think I should read up about the EVR Custom Renderer, because I have a hunch that's what's allowing me to have dxva and subtitles in MPC-HC. If that's the case, is there any chance we could get support for it in MC15, or is it a "custom solution" for MPC-HC only?

In any case all is working well right now.... I think. More testing to be done.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

That's great that you got it figured out.  I'm not sure about the EVR custom in MC15.  I don't know it well enough yet to be able to answer that.  I'll try to play tomorrow.  :)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Ha! I spoke too soon. I still get random stutters and freezes, yet flawless playback in MPC-HC.

Also, Fifth Element (TrueHD) will play with no sound using Matroska as splitter, but is fine with Haali. My Star Trek rips are fine with Matroska. All play fine in MPC-HC. I'm beginning to think 32 bit filters in a 64 bit OS are a bad idea, or that something in MC15 needs to be tweaked, since both ffdshow dxva video decoder and MPC-HC decoder are having problems. Of course, if Yaobing is still interested in a custom solution for an MC15 h264 decoder, I'm all for it... as long as it supports DXVA and CUDA too. ;)

Personally, I think I'm going to get a new low power bitstreaming nVidia card when they come out. CUDA accleration with CoreAVC is child's play compared to getting DXVA working in MC15... with subtitles etc.

Have a good weekend, and let us know how your playing around with MC 15 goes.

Darth B

• Recent member

I'm bitstreaming HD audio formats using an ATI 5570 video card.  It uses MPC Codecs and ffdshow.  I created a guide for setting it up.  As this is my first post, I haven't found out how to attach the file.

I've copied the text from the guide below.  I hope its clear enough to be of use.

Guide for Setting Up Bit-Streaming from ATI 5570using MPC and ffdshow Codecs in JRiver Media Center 15
I created this guide hoping others could benefit from the hours (days?) of research and experimentation.  What follows are instructions detailing how I’ve been able to configure my HTPC to playback video files within JRiver Media Center 15 using MPC and ffdshow DirectShow filters to bit-stream HD video and audio formats to an ATI 5570 based graphics card.

There are four major sections to this guide.
1. Install and configure ffdshow
2. Install and configure MPC Standalone Filters
3. Register ffdshow and MPC filters
4. Configure JRiver Media Center 15

Before beginning you need to find and download the following programs
* ffdshow.  I downloaded "ffdshow_rev3507_20100707_clsid.exe" from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/files/
* MPC Stand Alone Filters.   From http://www.xvidvideo.ru/media-player-classic-home-cinema-x86-x64/ - follow the link to "standalone_filters-svn2099_x86".  Follow directions to download.  Be sure to get the x86 filters (32 bit).  I don’t think the x64 filters (64 bit) will work with 32 bit applications like JRiver.

Install and Configure ffdshow

1. Run the installation file.
2. Install ffdshow to the default folder.
3. Setup the speakers to "Disable Mixer".
4. Press the install button.
5. Run the audio decoder configuration and the DXVA decoder configuration.
6. For the Audio Decoder, check the codecs for AC3, E-AC3, True HD, MLP and DTS are set to libavcodec. In Outputs, select pass-through for all formats and select 24 bit integer.  Press OK to complete.
7. For the DXVA Decoder, in DirectShow Control select "don't use ffdshow in:". For hardware acceleration, uncheck H264, check VC1, choose Compatiability mode as normal, and post processing as surface overlay.  Press OK to complete.

Install MPC Standalone Filters

1. Extract the files from the downloaded file.
2. Rename the extracted folder to “MPCFilters”.
3. Move folder to the “Program Files (x86)” folder.

Register ffdshow and MPC filters [Edit by JimH -- According to Yaobing, this registration step is not necessary since it happens as part of the FFDShow installation]
1. From the “Start” button, type “cmd” into the search field – don’t press enter.  Right-click on “cmd” and choose “Run as Administrator”.
2. A DOS window will open.  Type regsvr32 “c:\program files (x86)\ffdshow\ffshow.ax”.  Press enter. A window will appear confirming the ffshow registration.
3. Return to the DOS window.  Type regsvr32 “c:\program files (x86)\MPCFilters\mpcvideodec.ax”.  Press enter. A window will appear confirming the MPC Video Decoder registration.
4. Return to the DOS window.  Type regsvr32 “c:\program files (x86)\MPCFilters\mpegsplitter.ax”.  Press enter. A window will appear confirming the mpegsplitter registration.
5. Close out the open windows.

Configure JRiver Media Center 15
1. From the toolbar, select “Tools -> Options”.  Select the audio and change the output mode to WASAPI.  You will really enjoy listening to music using WASAPI.
2. Select File Types and scroll down to the Video AVCHD Video (m2ts, mts).  For the playback method, select JRiver video engine (using DirectShow filters).
3. Set the Source Filter to MPC-Mpeg Source (Gabtest).
4. For the Other Filters, check ffdshow Audio Decoder, ffdshow DXVA Video Decoder, MPC – Video Decoder and JRiver Bitrate Monitor filter.
5. Under Other Filters, press the “Configure” button and select ffdshow Audio Decoder.  Verify the settings you entered earlier are correct.
6. Under Other Filters, press the “Configure” button and select ffdshow DXVA Video Decoder.  Verify the settings you entered earlier are correct.
7. Under Other Filters, press the “Configure” button and select MPC - Video Decoder.  Uncheck the VC1 (DXVA) and VC1 (Ffmpeg).
8. For the Video Render, select “Enhanced Video Render”.
9. Select Video and set the Audio for Video, DVD & Television Playback Device to “ATI HDMI Output”.
10. Select Video and set the Audio for Video, DVD & Television Connection type to “Digital connection to a surround sound receiver”.
11. Press OK and save configuration changes.  Everything should now be set – give it a try.

swinster

• World Citizen

Deleted - now irrelevant

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Darth,
Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for offering the guide.  Could you copy and paste the text?  You might have to split it into two or three posts if it's long.

I think you can attach a txt file.  Choose Modify, then Additional Options.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

I think a lot of us would be very interested in your guide!  Thanks for sharing!!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

I'm bitstreaming HD audio formats using an ATI 5570 video card.  It uses MPC Codecs and ffdshow.  I created a guide for setting it up.  As this is my first post, I haven't found out how to attach the file.

I would be very interested in your guide. I too am using mpc codecs and ffdshow in MC15, but I get stutters in some scenes and files. I think this is because the same filters and codecs in MPC, which plays perfectly, are able to use EVR custom presenter, allowing both subtitles and dxva simultaneously.

Also, there is some indication that the onboard audio/video of the Intel i3 - h55/57 combo can cause this stuttering, but nothing is conclusive yet. I may install my 5450 and switch to that, but for nw I was hoping to keep my hTPC as simple as possible.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

I would be very interested in your guide. I too am using mpc codecs and ffdshow in MC15, but I get stutters in some scenes and files. I think this is because the same filters and codecs in MPC, which plays perfectly, are able to use EVR custom presenter, allowing both subtitles and dxva simultaneously.

Also, there is some indication that the onboard audio/video of the Intel i3 - h55/57 combo can cause this stuttering, but nothing is conclusive yet. I may install my 5450 and switch to that, but for nw I was hoping to keep my hTPC as simple as possible.

Wait, you're on an i3?  Are you trying to do 24Hz??  Cause that's definitely a problem from what I've read.  At least in some of the commercial players.  I don't think I realized you were using an i3 before.  I guess I didn't even think about it.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Yes on an i3 530. I'm not trying to do 24Hz, but am aware of that bug too.
BY stuttering I mean that the audio cuts in and out from the receiver and picture obviously is skipping frames. For some reason, I cannot get DXVA activated with the mpc video decoder in MC15. That's why I want to go back to nVidia with CUDA - so simple and much more compatible than DXVA. I'm just waiting for a fanless, low power card from them some time soon.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

I'm looking at one of those new nVidia toys for my bedroom machine, as well.  I may be upgrading the sound system to allow bitstreaming soon, so, I'd like either an ATI 5xxx card or one of the new nVidia 4xx cards for it.  I'm not sure about Clarkdale.  Seen too many weird issues with it.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

I'm looking at one of those new nVidia toys for my bedroom machine, as well.  I may be upgrading the sound system to allow bitstreaming soon, so, I'd like either an ATI 5xxx card or one of the new nVidia 4xx cards for it.  I'm not sure about Clarkdale.  Seen too many weird issues with it.

With the purchase of a new house and fixing up three rooms to have at least 7.1 audio, I have ended up with a spare receiver. I too was thinking of using it in my "office" for bitsreaming. I think it's overkill though, and I may just keep using my Z-5500s. These days I don't even use those much, choosing 5.1 headphones instead, since the office is next door to the baby's room. I'll probably continue to use MPC-HC from within MC15 for bitstreaming HD audio movies until I get my new nvidia card. The ATi 5450 will go into my old HTPC case when I upgrade its mobo, cpu and RAM.

I'm really glad that we consumers now have real choice when it comes to bitstreaming HD audio. Just over a year ago, the only option was to buy a sound card that had limited compatibility, and cost more than some standalone Blu-Ray players.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

Agreed.  Albain did a really wonderful thing for us all with the open source code in ffdshow.  I was glad to help out on that one.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

For what it is worth - I only got decent non juddery Video & HD Audio over HDMI @ 24fps when I moved to the ATI HD5450 and gave up on the Intel IGP stuff (G33, G45).  Given how cheap the passive HD5450 is it is a no brainer IMHO (it all fits in, causes no heat issues or noise in my Shuttle that I use for the HTPC).  Thats not to say there are no issues with the 5XXX series but they are now well knows and so are their workarounds - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1224697
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Agreed.  Albain did a really wonderful thing for us all with the open source code in ffdshow.  I was glad to help out on that one.

It just had to be said again, including your contribution.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

I didn't do much.  Just provided logs and fixed a bug in the dts-hd ma code.  Albain coded all that blind before he even got his ati card!  Truly amazing.

flac.rules

I don't really need anything else. Codec packs? Never again! I'm close enough to the cutting edge of video that I wouldn't touch CCCP no matter how much it's recommended. I might have tried Shark if I wasn't so close to a perfect setup given what I have now. In fact, it IS perfect when I use MPC-HC for playback.

Yeah, I remeber all the problesm with nimo codec pack and so on, I have tried CCCP, but it updates seldom, and i would rather just install the codecs. But why does this have to be so difficult, I just want to watch my video with no problems.....

Thanks to Darth B for the guide, I will check it out.

swinster

• World Citizen

Interesting guide, but I echo Elvis123 comments.

Is it intended for the average Joe user, who just happen to think that a piece of software call "Media Centre" will allow them to connect their PC simply and effectively to their home AV kit and be the centre of operation for their media, to need to complete such steps in order to view videos or bitstream HD audio (although at the same time I understand that these issue are purely the doing of JR)? I'm sure this addresses a very specific problem but sure people want to be able to watch their videos or listen to their audio in the best possible format and without issue or multiple installations of CODEC, filters, and other software.

There HAS to be a better way???

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Interesting guide, but I echo Elvis123 comments.

Is it intended for the average Joe user, who just happen to think that a piece of software call "Media Centre" will allow them to connect their PC simply and effectively to their home AV kit and be the centre of operation for their media, to need to complete such steps in order to view videos or bitstream HD audio (although at the same time I understand that these issue are purely the doing of JR)? I'm sure this addresses a very specific problem but sure people want to be able to watch their videos or listen to their audio in the best possible format and without issue or multiple installations of CODEC, filters, and other software.

There HAS to be a better way???

Well, it's the same way for every directshow player currently. That's the point of it - the filters are (generally) free and any new format can be configured for playback. It's a kind of free market solution - different filter authors can come up with competing solutions. The only alternative that I can think of is if Yaobing et al write their own DXVA/CUDA compliant video filters and HD audio bitstreaming ones too.

Further, the "average user" is unlikely to have videos on their hard drives that have HD audio. You get those by ripping BluRay or HD-DVD, and that in itself can be a multi-step process. You can also download rips of movies with HD audio, depending on whether or not it's illegal in your country of residence. Again, not a task for the "average user". In general, playback of movies with anything up to and including 6.1 DD-EX or DTS-ES is supported a lot easier with directshow filters.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

I take issue with that difficulty in creating media with HD audio comment!  :P  I've been working hard the last 2 months to push MKV's with HD audio as a gold standard for backing up movies.  Between the space saving and absolute ease of use (well, once you get over the initial setup issues, of course), MKV with PGS subs and HD audio are phenomenal.  I believe that with the advent of programs like MakeMKV and some up and coming freeware solutions, MKV with HD audio will become far more common.  I do agree with the setup issue, however.  If they can't easily play back their newly created media, then most users will look elsewhere for their backups.  This is a shame because any media application that fully masters the integration required to play this type of media *with ease* will become very popular with the backup crowd.  Players can already handle this kind of playback, but, a full blow media manager would be extremely beneficial.  That's why I'm looking at MC15 as I see the potential it has.  I've just been busy being sick and distracted with getting an awesome 2.2 FroYo rom on my Droid this week.  :D  I will find some time soon to sit down and really get into this.  The guide that was posted here is a godsend.  Yea, it's a lot of steps, but, maybe some of that can be automated in the future?  Like MC15 detecting ffdshow on the user's machine and offering an EASY way to select it in the MC15 options and automagically configure it properly for subtitle and bitstreaming if the user selects those options?  Wouldn't THAT be nice!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

I take issue with that difficulty in creating media with HD audio comment!  :P  I've been working hard the last 2 months to push MKV's with HD audio as a gold standard for backing up movies.  Between the space saving and absolute ease of use (well, once you get over the initial setup issues, of course), MKV with PGS subs and HD audio are phenomenal.  I believe that with the advent of programs like MakeMKV and some up and coming freeware solutions, MKV with HD audio will become far more common.  

Not arguing at all about this. I think that the Matroska format is amazing and great strides have been made to make the backup process easier. Yet the fact remains that one of the largest threads on AVSforum is the "HD to MKV - the options are endless" one. I haven't tried recent versions of Makemkv, but the community is crying out for a one-stop solution with a decent GUI. Just pop in the disc, launch the software and choose what you wish to include; whether the video is recompressed with h264, is DXVA compliant, whether the sound is lossless or a lossy core or both. Check off the options and hit "Make". A few minutes to a few hours later, depending on whether you're compressing video or not, you get your shiny mkv for playback in the directshow software of your choice.

Can Makemkv do this now, or do people still have to use multiple packages like EAC3to, anotherEAC3toGUI, mkvmerge etc.?

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team

-Install MakeMKV
-Install beta key if you need it (it's free while in beta, but, I bought a license for it already since I use it weekly to backup my new purchases)
-Insert disc
-Load MakeMKV
-Scan disc
-Select title you want, expand, select streams you want
-Click make
-On my machine, wait 20-30 minutes
-Profit!  :D

Seriously, it couldn't be easier now.  MakeMKV includes its own decryption routines, too, so, you ONLY need that.  I, of course, use AnyDVD for that.  ;)  This allows you to downmix to AC3/DTS, keep the HD audio as is, select PGS subs, create a separate forced only PGS sub, etc.  All with a tree view and checkboxes.  It's awesome.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up