INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Watched Folder Auto-AutoImport  (Read 1494 times)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: Watched Folder Auto-AutoImport
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:21:07 pm »

I consistently do most of my work on a laptop (CD Ripping, DVD Ripping, Legal Downloading), but I have my music/video library stored on my office desktop that then streams to my HTPC. I have tried exhaustively to set up Python scripts to automatically organize (move and rename) my ripped/downloaded files based on ID3 tag structure to my desktop computer, but unfortunately, Mutagen documentation is too sparse for me to get anywhere on the project.

What I would like to do is to have MC15 automatically and silently autoimport files in a certain "watched folder." I currently have the scheduler to run the autoimport core command once daily (is there any way to increase the frequency?) but it is neither silent nor truly automatic. I follow this up by running a scheduled library sync on the client machine (my laptop) 5 minutes after the autoimport.

From previous discussion, I know you are opposed to letting MC automatically sort/rename files on the disk. However, this would be a huge benefit if it was implemented for just ONE user-selected folder (like a download or newly-ripped folder). If you included it as a command line option or core command, novice users wouldn't be able to muck up their folder/organizational structure on accident. The command could organize files based on a specific saved scheme or even just the last-used scheme in MC (most people only use one).

As I alluded to earlier, another problem that arises is the newly added files dialog box that pops up at the end of the auto-import and the subsequent shift to the Recently Imported playlist. Every time I access MC on my desktop computer I get to see that wonderful dialog box telling me (more often than not) that I successfully imported 0 files, and my previous view is lost.

Suggestions?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Feature Request: Watched Folder Auto-AutoImport
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:30:35 pm »

MC's regular auto-import works just fine when MC is running.  I'm confused over what you're asking for...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:52:49 pm »

It boils down to the ability to rename/move files from a single autoimport folder into my main media directory. The best place to put it would be Options-->Library & Folders-->Configure Auto-Import-->Edit (Folder)-->"Rename/Move Auto-Imported Files" or a similar option. If it could delete the original (empty) directory once it has finished, it would be even better.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:57:25 pm »

Hmm...I am confused as well.

I have a very similar setup - all our music is stored on the Windows Home Server in two folders -Music (lossless) and Mobile Music (lossy).

I do all of my editing, tagging etc in Tag n Rename on my Win 7 workstation and when everything is in it's final format (complete with Album Art)...I simply drag the albums (in the Artist\Album\Track# Title format) to their respective targets (Music or Mobile Music) on the server.

I then fire up my local copy of MC (whose only two libraries are \\SERVER\Music and \\SERVER\Mobile Music) and then I click "Run Auto-Import Now" as a manual process. Everything is correctly updated and ready to go.

?

VP

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 02:09:43 pm »

My setup is similar, except that I currently use foobar2000 to rename and move files prior to moving them to my auto-import folder. However, if MC15 was able to automatically move/rename files in a specified folder, I would no longer need to use foobar2000 PLUS MC15 would add the files to the library as they are ripped/downloaded. It would be completely automatic, which is the most important thing because I'm trying to make my media PC headless. I can access my newsreader programs remotely using a web interface, and I can use EAC to rip my CD's on a local computer directly into Dropbox, which is where I would want MC to move files from.
Pages: [1]   Go Up