INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would like to see MC be able to stream the music from Last.FM  (Read 1790 times)

Supersnake

• World Citizen

Three years ago
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36302.100

JDiizzy asked the following question:

In Mediaportal we had the option of playing the Last.fm playlist, etc through it. Is there a way of doing this through Media Center?
(if not, then what is the use of sending preferences to audioscrobbler?)

It would be GREAT to be able to stream the music from my account at Last.fm through Media Center using the Theater View.... YEAH!

Using the Last.fm site, I find lots of music that I usually would not listen to. I have bought many CDs and singles through ITunes from listening to the Suggestions and Neighbor stations... a great service

I have to add to his comment that my Foobar 2000 media player is able to access Last.FM and stream any Radio Station, Play List or music found on Last.FM.  One can do this either by going to the Last.FM web site or by simply right clicking in Foobar and choosing a  contextual command.
[Would be glad to attach a screen shot of Foobar doing this but I can't locate a way to do this, is attaching an image disabled?]

I really would prefer to have the J River Media Center be my media player of choice for streaming the music from the Last.FM web site.

Seeing that Media Center can scrobble to Last.FM - and do so nicely - could you please take it to completion and program in the capability to stream Last.FM music and radio stations?

Supersnake

• World Citizen
Response Request: Enable MC to be able to stream music from Last.FM
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:58:41 pm »

Could the developers please respond to this query.

The original poster in 1997 pointed out that Media Center is able to natively scrobble to Last.FM but it is incapable of streaming music from Last.FM to itself.

Please also notice that the Last.FM program when installed on your computer supports plugins for Foobar, iTunes, Winamp, and Windows Media Player.  However the program does not list the JRiver Media Center.   [Last.FM program /Tools/Supported plugins].  

It is incongruous that MC can donate to Last.FM but we cannot play any Last.FM streams in our Media Center.

Could you please rectify this?

With best regards,
Supersnake

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Would like to see MC be able to stream the music from Last.FM
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:55:14 am »

JRiver's stance, for better or worse, on specifically supporting streaming media websites is rather stand-offish. The long and short of it is that there are tons of websites that have these sorts of features, and developer hours for MC are limited. Which websites should they elect to support? I'd agree that Last.fm should be at the top of the list myself, but many other users might not care about last.fm. I'd guess it'd take a rather large amount of noise from the user base for them to consider it worth the time to develop and official MC interface to Last.fm radio.

Such an interface could probably be developed as a plugin. This is probably the more likely route for such a feature to be developed. Once upon a time the Last.fm DJ plugin could stream media from last.fm (until last.fm changed their API).

-JB

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 09:05:25 am »

JRiver's stance, for better or worse, on specifically supporting streaming media websites is rather stand-offish.
This is not the case.  We currently support:

Hulu, Youtube, Flickr, Shoutcast, Amazon, Netflix, Google Images, Wikipedia, Twitter, Facebook ...

And our support for the MediaNet service is equal to or better than Microsoft Zune's.

Not all of these are streaming, but they all enrich the media experience.

Each of these takes significant effort to maintain since they often change their interface.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 12:28:41 pm »

This is not the case.  We currently support:
Sorry, "cautious" probably would have been a better word choice than "stand-offish".
Each of these takes significant effort to maintain since they often change their interface.
That was really the point I was making too. There are a ton of sites out there many with their own unique API.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 12:32:20 pm »

They're important to us.  We have some other important work, too.

MikeAus

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 09:17:19 pm »

Would like to see MC be able to stream the music from Last.FM ?
To put it simply. YES  :)

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 08:48:03 am »

+1

I was a bit confused the first time I looked at the Last.FM plug in and I couldn't see how I could get my stations. I figure that I must just be having a blonde day so checked the Wiki and other J River documentation but there was precious little info.

After reading this I realise that MC15 doesn't actually support Last.FM in this way, which is a shame.

tuxster

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 09:49:33 am »

For what it's worth, I would like to add another vote for this request.
Pages: [1]   Go Up