INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading Old Library  (Read 1192 times)

alexandrebrasil

• Recent member
Upgrading Old Library
« on: September 06, 2010, 01:26:59 pm »

I have a Media Center 12 and have been upgrading from a long time. For various reasons, I stop at 12. I wanted to upgrade to 15, but it is quite a drag to have to install 13 and 14 only to go through the stages of library upgrading. Is there any chance of doing it without having to download, install 2 versions that I will not use except for converting my Media Center 12 library? It is quite a drag and a waste of time to the user (me, in this case).
If there is any way to avoid it, I would be most grateful to hear it.

Regards,
Alexandre

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Upgrading Old Library
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 01:57:28 pm »

You can preserve your old library without installing the intermediate versions. MC15 can import an MC12 library:

1. In MC12, create a library backup file. Save it to an easily accessible location. (File > Library > Back Up Library...)
2. Install MC15. You don't need to uninstall MC12. You can have both versions installed as long as you want.
3. In MC15, restore the library backup file. (File > Library > Restore Library...)

The restore will load your old database including the playlists and statistics. It will not restore the set options (only a backup file from MC14 and later contains also the options), but you can configure the options in the usual way. Some of them have changed since MC12 so you would need to check them anyway.

If you have more than one library create the needed amount of empty additional libraries in MC15 and backup & restore each library separately.

When you are sure that you don't need MC12 anymore you can uninstall it. Use its uninstaller with all options ticked. If you have cover art files that are stored in the default location in MC12's application data folder you can use the new MC14/MC15 feature that can move cover art before uninstalling MC12. Otherwise a full uninstall will delete the cover art files. (select the files > right-click > Cover Art > Save Cover Art To External Location Specified In Options)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

alexandrebrasil

• Recent member
Re: Upgrading Old Library
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 06:21:04 am »

Thank you very much for the reply
Pages: [1]   Go Up