INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unresolved sorting issue  (Read 1083 times)

f.ammollo

• Junior Woodchuck
Unresolved sorting issue
« on: September 08, 2010, 04:01:07 am »

Hello,

the problem I am writing about (which also MC14 had) is very annoying and very strange, because it is not so easily repeatable and sometimes it "fixes itself" (I'll tell about it later).
Essentially, the problem is this: at times, some of the songs shown into a view (I don't know if it also happens with images and/or videos) are not sorted according to the chosen fields, and either refreshing the view or closing and reopening MC does not change the situation.

The fields I have chosen are the following:
- Artist (a-z)
- Year (a-z)
- Album (a-z)
- Disc# (a-z)
- Track# (a-z)

I noticed that the wrong behaviour happens if, for example, I have some songs of an artist with the year field already filled and other songs with an empty year field, which appear at the end: when I fill their year field, the list is not always refreshed according to the fields chosen for sorting.

Note that this NEVER happens when a filter which selects those songs is active, it only happens when there is no filter applied at all.

Thanks in advance,
Fabrizio Ammollo

f.ammollo

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Unresolved sorting issue
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 04:52:24 am »

An update: I discovered that if I remove the "Artist (auto)" field and I fill it again the correct sorting is immediately applied; the reason of this is not clear at all to me, anyway I'm happy it works this way. :-)

Fabrizio

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 06:10:03 am »

Probably you mean the "Album Artist (auto)" field.

The field and its usage is explained e.g. here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33255
(It's an old thread, but the functionality has not changed.)

In default views the Artist column actually shows the "Album Artist (auto)" field because it can group also the various artists albums correctly. Only the field header is programmed to show just "Artist". If also the actual Artist field is present the header mapping is not used. This header mapping may sometimes cause confusion if the user is not aware of it.

I have created some "tagging" views that show all three "Artist" columns in addition to about 30-40 other columns. (The third "Artist" field is Album Artist. It can be used for overriding the automatic value in the Album Artist (auto) field.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:48:54 am »

In default views the Artist column actually shows the "Album Artist (auto)" field because it can group also the various artists albums correctly.

"Correctly" is definitely in the eye of the beholder here.  The entire "Album Artist" scheme drives me completely batty.  I do not care, even a little bit, if a particular song came off of an album with various artists (usually a soundtrack).  I still want to see "The Shins" listed as the "Artist" for New Slang even if that particular copy of New Slang happens to be from the Garden State Soundtrack.  If I want to play the whole album, I can just browse to and find it under the "Album" pane, and see all those songs grouped together.  What good is having a big "Various Artists" grouping in your panes with a ton of stuff in there that has nothing to do with one another?

Sorry... Pet peeve.  I constantly have to manually clear the Album Artist tags because iTunes follows it when syncing to my phone.  I've long had those fields removed from any view in my MC library, but it still bites me every so often, and it is annoying when setting up a new default library.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up