INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CoreAAC Audio Codec in Media Center 15  (Read 2471 times)

dennismf

• Recent member
CoreAAC Audio Codec in Media Center 15
« on: September 08, 2010, 10:20:41 pm »

I have been using the CoreAVC Video codec in MC for some time and due to the quality and stability I decided to try the CoreAAC audio codec (replacing the ffdshow audio codecs used in the past).

When I configure the DirectShow filters to use CoreAAC, the video playback doesn't play. Nothing crashes. It is not "hung" as I can seek forward and backward in the video and the selected (via seek) frame is rendered. But the image is still and the progress bar does not move.

The filter graph is as shown below:

Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'Default DirectSound Device'
        CLSID: {79376820-07D0-11CF-A24D-0020AFD79767}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)'
            Connected to pin 'XForm Out' of filter 'CoreAAC Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'CoreAVC Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'

Filter 'CoreAAC Audio Decoder'
        CLSID: {A75C8884-C353-4C87-9636-9CFF530D3BA5}
        Host: c:\program files (x86)\corecodec\coreaac professional edition\coreaacdecoder.ax
        Input Pin 'XForm In'
            Connected to pin 'Audio' of filter 'Haali Media Splitter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {000000FF-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'XForm Out'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)' of filter 'Default DirectSound Device'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'CoreAVC Video Decoder'
        CLSID: {09571A4B-F1FE-4C60-9760-DE6D310C7C31}
        Host: c:\program files (x86)\corecodec\coreavc professional edition\coreavcdecoder.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'Haali Media Splitter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {31564343-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2

Filter 'Haali Media Splitter'
        CLSID: {55DA30FC-F16B-49FC-BAA5-AE59FC65F82D}
        Host: c:\program files (x86)\haali\matroskasplitter\splitter.ax
        Output Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'CoreAVC Video Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {31564343-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Audio'
            Connected to pin 'XForm In' of filter 'CoreAAC Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {000000FF-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

I am using MC build 15.0.95 on a Vaio notebook running Windows 7 64 bit.

I tried constructing this filter graph using GraphEdit.exe. It works correctly in GraphEdit so I suspect that the problem is not CoreAAC.

Do you have any suggestions?

I tried using a similar config on my Vista 32 bit media server machine with similar results. However I have done the serious investigation (using graphedit and printing the MC Direct Show graph) on the newer 64 bit machine.

I would like to thank you for producing an excellent media solution. Media Center has always been a great audio tool. The improvement in video handling in the last few major versions has been amazing.

Dennis MF

dennismf

• Recent member
Re: CoreAAC Audio Codec in Media Center 15
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:35:12 am »

After a few more tests with GraphEdit...

CoreAAC seems to have some issues. If I build the graph (or modify it) it works correctly in GraphEdit.

If I save the graph, reopen GraphEdit and open the saved graph, I get incorrect behaviour.

If the graph is a simple video / audio render as described in my first post, the video plays quickly, it seems to be ignoring the clock. The only way I can fix it is to modify the graph pin connections. This seems to return the graph to normal behaviour, at least until I save it and reopen it.

If I add an audio filter between the CoreAAC decoder and the Audio Renderer, it also works as expected until I save the graph and reopen it in a new GraphEdit session. When reopened this version behaves as seen in Media Center. That is the video does not play, but I can seek the video, getting still image renders from wherever the seek stops. This behaviour is also rectified by modifying the graph pin connections in some way.

When I substitute ffdshow for CoreAAC in GraphEdit, I get normal behaviour, before and after graph modification or reopen.

So it looks like CoreAAC has issues, possibly with clock handling.

I will report this to CoreCodec. If anyone has any clue as to the cause I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks and regards,

Dennis MF

BetaBoy

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:41:23 pm »

Dennis.... thx for the report. We have logged your bug and will look into it.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 02:38:20 pm »

Welcome to the forum BetaBoy. (I assume you are the same BetaBoy who administers the CoreCodec user forum.)

We have logged your bug and will look into it.

Do you already have a reason to believe that the problem is caused by CoreACC?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 09:50:01 pm »

Dennis.... thx for the report. We have logged your bug and will look into it.

Hey! Welcome BetaBoy! I'm a huge fan of CoreAVC and your participation on doom9. I'm currently running a Clarkdale HTPC, and I cannot wait for nvidia to release low power, HD-audio bitsreaming cards so I can go back to CUDA acceleration with CoreAVC. Great to see you here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up