INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recipes, Theater View, & Touch Screen  (Read 2578 times)

norm west

• Recent member
Recipes, Theater View, & Touch Screen
« on: September 29, 2010, 11:02:19 am »

I am using an 8” touch screen monitor in the theater view when I don't require viewing on  the wide screen TV.  I feel it functions quite well but I would like to control other features of the media center in this mode.  I would like to use the touch screen to access internet radio streaming like Pandora, last.fm         and other streaming  programs. But I don't know how to set them up in the theater view mode.  Also since the monitor will be working in the kitchen it would be nice if I could access a recipe program from the same 8” touch screen.  My vision for the MC is to have the capacity to become a whole house command center.  Is there anyone out there that could help me modify the theater view handle some of these items?

Norm West

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC15 Theater View
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:18:20 am »

The easiest way of doing this would be to add external programs as shortcuts on the root menu or under different categories. You can add links and use the built in IE browser to access web services through Theater View.

Go to Options - Theater View - Items To Show. Under this section you can add a Category to gather all this extras, you can add them under existing root items like Connected OR you can add things directly on root. In your case, I would make a new Category called Apps and add another item there to launch an external Recipe program. I would add web pages like Pandora under the Connected category. Just move the items you make to the right category and hit Nest. You'll understand the basics here in no time.

Good luck
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:18:45 am »

If you have your recipes as text files with significant details in the file names you could import them into MC.  MC would then launch notepad or another program to view them which works fine in Theater View.  You can even search them (the file names) in Theater View although there doesn't seem a way to limit the search just to "Documents".
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

norm west

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 02:32:00 pm »

Thanks for the input.  I will try them out and let you know how they work for me.
Thanks Again.  Norm

dwayne_jarvis

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 07:12:43 am »

I have handled my recipes quite differently. 

I have used pictures of the recipe (at this stage cocktails and food) and added the pictures to an album named either Food Recipes or Cocktails.  I have used the Database features of Media Centre and added additional fields i.e. Ingredients, Method, Cooking Time, Preparation Time, Serves and Makes.  Some fields are specific to Cocktails but most are used for both Recipe Types.

I then use the Tags from the Pictures to fill in the extra fields as needed and to complete this I have created a custom Theatre View Info Box that can Display the picture and the relevant fields.

Overall it looks quite neat.  You can also search in standard view for recipes with certain ingredients.  Not sure how to insert images so I can't giver you a preview.

gappie

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 07:19:56 am »

I have handled my recipes quite differently. 

I have used pictures of the recipe (at this stage cocktails and food) and added the pictures to an album named either Food Recipes or Cocktails.  I have used the Database features of Media Centre and added additional fields i.e. Ingredients, Method, Cooking Time, Preparation Time, Serves and Makes.  Some fields are specific to Cocktails but most are used for both Recipe Types.

I then use the Tags from the Pictures to fill in the extra fields as needed and to complete this I have created a custom Theatre View Info Box that can Display the picture and the relevant fields.

Overall it looks quite neat.  You can also search in standard view for recipes with certain ingredients.  Not sure how to insert images so I can't giver you a preview.

:o that is nice... now i want a screen in the kitchen too.
the next rainy weekend ill start to add this.

thanks and a great first post.

:)
gab

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 07:47:18 am »

Seems like a good deal of work though. To enter all recipes.

Btw, what touch screens do you use? I have problems figuring out what to use in my other rooms. Ideally, I would go for small form factor computers with displays. Maybe I'll just have to wait for a good Pad with Win 7. It's bound to come soon. Android is well on it's way as well.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

dwayne_jarvis

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 07:55:26 am »

In my Kitchen I have an Acer 22" Touch Screen mounted on the wall which is slightly off the wall and enough so that I have fitted an Asus EePC.  Not too fond of the EePC and wished I had waited for the Zotac with Nvidia Ion for improved graphics (I believe Asus now have one but they are much dearer that the Zotac).  The Monitor was $375AU and the EepC was $275.00AU.

dwayne_jarvis

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 08:07:29 am »

I have uploaded two snapshots of my Recipes in Standard and Theatre View to Pix01.

Let's see if I can add the images to this post for easy access.

dwayne_jarvis

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 08:09:42 am »

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 08:15:05 am »

Dwayne,
The e-mail from Pixie has this shortened link:
http://pix01.com/32343t

Nice post!  

Welcome to the forum.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Recipes, Theater View, & Touch Screen
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 09:59:48 am »

That's really awesome Dwayne.  Good work!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 12:40:23 pm »

Dwayne, i like it  :) i also use MC for more than "Media", and that is a choice i will never regret  :D
MT5FR

dwayne_jarvis

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 12:55:05 pm »

(All) Thank you.  Have been a user since Version 9 but have never posted anything until tonight.  

I have done the same thing for my Stardock Games.  By importing the executables, adding cover art pictures, genres, description and publisher details.  Again I use Theater View to display and launch them from there.

More snapshots on the gallery.  Also my attempt to recreate the evolution dark/light theme from Meedios (very much a work in progress have been tinkering for the last four hours).

Any help with the time next to the clock would be appreciated.  Also not sure on my choice of list colors??

http://pix01.com/32343t

norm west

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 09:52:17 am »

:)dwayne

Great theater displays.  Thanks for responding to my post.  After seeing what you have done it makes me want to do some of my own skins. I would like to see more posts from you if you would with any pointers in the development of your skins.

MC15 has the potential to develop into a whole house command center.  Is anyone out there is working on this aspect of the media center?
norm west
Pages: [1]   Go Up