INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems ripping WMA Lossless - missing duration tags and improper bit rates  (Read 1050 times)

alvester

• Recent member

Media Center appaers to rip fine (WMA Lossless) and playback is OK within Media Center 15 BUT when trying to playback the same files ripped from Media Center 15 on other devices or software (Squeezebox Server, WMP, Zune desktop software) the songs are either missing or split up across several albums with the exact same name even though they should just be one album and/or the file duration is missing. Also for whatever reason some of my rips that should be WMA Lossless are coming up as only 128k. This is occurring on the same tracks on some albums and for the entirety of some other albums.

Media Center 15 is reporting back that random files from different album rips are only being ripped at 128K even though I have it set to ONLY rip as WMA Lossless format (which should equate to at a minimum for most tracks around 600k and upwards to 1440k). To make matters even stranger the these so-called 128k-Media Center ripped tracks would never show their time duration when played back from within Media Center nor WMP nor Zune BUT when I looked at them from within an explorer window the file sizes of the problem files are showing them to be in the 35 to 40 Mb range! File sizes this large for 5 or so minutes of music would indicate to me that they are indeed lossless rips so somehow the encoding of some files seems to be not matching up with what it should be.

I did an experiment by deleting the problem album rips from within Media Center 15 (from within Media Center, COMPLETE delete from the drive) and re-ripped the same albums  (using Media Center 15) containing the problem tracks and found they would re-rip with the exact same problem on the exact same tracks. This has so far occurred on several different albums

SO then I tried deleting (from within Media Center, COMPLETE delete from the drive) and then re-ripping using Zune Software instead and it worked fine with correct WMA Lossless encoding (I can see this when looking at the rips from within MC 15), & correct duration (I can see this from within MC15 too.)

So I'm having 2 problems: 1. missing duration tags, 2. WMA Lossless encoding is kind of wonky at times. It seems that both problems are dependent upon one another and only occur TOGETHER on certain specific tracks and albums.
Pages: [1]   Go Up