INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center and Windows Phone 7  (Read 4252 times)

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
Media Center and Windows Phone 7
« on: October 11, 2010, 03:12:50 pm »

As today was the launch of Windows Phone 7 it seems as though it might be appropriate to ask how Media Center might support it. I don't know whether I'll go for one yet, but this will probably be a big factor in my choice.

I think I'm right in saying that Microsoft plan on using the Zune player to sync stuff to computers; I downloaded it the other day out of curiosity and all I can say is wow. It was like trying to walk with both legs tied together. It failed to recognize so many of my tags and the tagging system seems so clumsy compared to Media Center.

So I suppose what I'm asking is whether it might be possible to have an export to Zune similar to the export to Itunes feature already present (I assume it won't be possible to sync Windows phones with Media Center).

Also, can you play music from the Zune pass in Media Center? I'm from the UK and I have no idea how that works.

Thanks

mapexxx

Re: Media Center and Windows Phone 7
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 07:04:50 am »

I too have some questions related to Windows Phone 7:

1. Will you develop a WP7 app to remote-control MC installed on a PC?
2. Will you develop a WP7 app to playback phone content (audio, video, pics) on MC?
3. Will you develop a version of MC for WP7?
4. Will MC support WP7 in terms of syncing music onto it?

Thank you in advance for your time.

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 04:21:58 pm »

I don't think this section of the forum gets checked as much as the main MC15 section, I'd recommend you post your questions there (although there was a Win7phone thread already so check that). That's what I'll do when I get around to it :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 04:53:43 pm »

We have no plans to write WP7-only applications, although WebRemote and WebPlay should work.  We hope for some development by third-parties as well (possibly on top of MCWS, Media Center's web service).

We don't know if Microsoft locked the devices or not so we don't know if we can sync to them.  If anyone has a definitive answer to this, please let us know.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 06:06:53 pm »

I don't think this section of the forum gets checked as much as the main MC15 section,
We follow it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 12:00:10 pm »

Thanks for getting back to me on this, everyone; I was also keeping tabs on the other thread. I decided to go with the LG Optimus 7 in the end, I suppose we'll see how it goes. I'll update with how easy it is to get stuff on the thing.

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 03:44:28 pm »

Good choice.  That one, the Samsung Omnia 7, and (shockingly) the Dell Lightning (I hate the name they really gave it) look like the three best WP7 devices.  If I had to choose now, I'd probably have chosen the Samsung: mainly due to the poor camera quality on the LG and the Super AMOLED on the Samsung.  But the LG would have been a CLOSE second, and those physical buttons on the front are a huge win.  I'm also not a fan of the recent trend towards giant phones, and I think the 3.8" would probably be best.

Of course, we don't get any good WP7 choices like you guys in Europe over here on this side of the pond.  Sigh.

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 08:44:32 pm »

I agree completely, the Samsung would have been awesome, but here in the UK all the phone companies have been signing exclusivity deals with the various manufacturers. The Samsung is on Orange and 3 and neither were keen to let me buy it from them and unlock it to use on Vodafone (who I'm tied to). In the event it was tough enough to persuade Vodafone to let me buy the LG without a contract.

I have to say that I haven't been entirely impressed with the WP7 handsets available, I wouldn't say any of them are completely awesome (some have mediocre battery life, other crappy screens), but I think I'll be happy with the LG. I played with one and the OS seems nice and smooth. My handset arrives tomorrow, as I said I'll post again to say how I find the set up process :)

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 10:57:03 pm »

So... how is it?

Are you limited to Zune..?

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 02:43:24 pm »

Vodafone shipped the wrong phone. I was pretty disappointed ;) I'll post when I get the right phone....

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 04:15:25 pm »

Well, my LG Optimus 7 arrived today and overall I'm very impressed. I think I perhaps am easily impressed after WinMo 6.5, but nevertheless, it's a very nice device that I have hardly stopped playing with all evening. I think the highlights are the overall build quality of the device and the snappiness of the OS, also the web browser is really fast and the keyboard is easy to use.

Now I know most people will be interested in how it syncs stuff. With music, it was a bit of a pain. I had to drag and drop individual albums onto the device, but after that the wireless sync was pretty cool and fast. Obviously Zune doesn't play flac or ape files, so I haven't been able to put them on my phone yet. I am also failing horribly when it comes to syncing my calendar from Outlook 2010 to the phone. I heard you could sync your Outlook calendar with both Live.com and Google, but whilst both will import my calendar, neither seems willing to send the calendar out the phone, they send their own but seem to treat my Outlook calendar as a secondary concern. At this point this is probably the thing I'd most like to get sorted.

I hope anyone thinking of buying a Windows Phone finds that vaguely helpful, if anyone has any questions I'll try and answer them. So far my overall impression of the device is positive.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 03:05:57 pm »

Interesting!  It is a hack, and Microsoft may quickly close the hole, but check this out:
http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2010/11/18/use-your-windows-phone-7-device-as-a-portable-usb-drive/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 03:20:43 pm »

JRiver CEO Elect

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 06:44:27 pm »

Well I tried it but it doesn't seem to do much. The phone shows in Explorer but I can't do anything with the thing that appears. It also isn't in MC. At least this brings hope that I'll be able to sort something out for transferrring stuff eventually; Zune's alright but it is a pain to have to manually convert anything I have in flac or ape to get Zune to recognize it. Thanks for letting me know about this!
Pages: [1]   Go Up