INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Works: 1080/50p 264/AVC Video Playback in MC  (Read 1256 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Works: 1080/50p 264/AVC Video Playback in MC
« on: October 13, 2010, 11:54:19 pm »

FYI...

I got a new Cam (the Pana HDC-HS700) and it can record Video in up to 1080 @ 50fps (see pic for all format details).  Anyway with some testing these files play back fine in MC with the following observation on Video Decoders:
1) FFDSHOW (libavcodec) : No good, very stuttery
2) FFDSHOW (ffmpeg-mt) : Pretty Good
3) CoreAVC V2 : Pretty Good

It is great to see high frame rate video without any de-interlacing issues.  I still see some intraframe compression artifacts but I'm note sure if that is due to the Cameras encoder more that the filters on the PC.

Anyway, thought I would share
Nathan

PS - "NTSC" countries have a 60p version.
PPS - I hope Glynor approves of my upgrade from a HDV Cam!
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Works: 1080/50p 264/AVC Video Playback in MC
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 03:24:46 am »

The footage from this cam is stunning!  Now to find an editing app that supports this format  ::)  After running it through the very basic Pana HD Writer app it changes the container slightly (see pic)
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 09:14:26 am »

FYI...

I got a new Cam (the Pana HDC-HS700) and it can record Video in up to 1080 @ 50fps (see pic for all format details).  Anyway with some testing these files play back fine in MC with the following observation on Video Decoders:
1) FFDSHOW (libavcodec) : No good, very stuttery
2) FFDSHOW (ffmpeg-mt) : Pretty Good
3) CoreAVC V2 : Pretty Good

It is great to see high frame rate video without any de-interlacing issues.  I still see some intraframe compression artifacts but I'm note sure if that is due to the Cameras encoder more that the filters on the PC.

Anyway, thought I would share
Nathan

PS - "NTSC" countries have a 60p version.
PPS - I hope Glynor approves of my upgrade from a HDV Cam!

I absolutely approve.  The brand new HS700 is a beautiful (if expensive) point-and-shoot-style camcorder.  I have an older HS9 (which is an earlier model of the same line) that I use as a loaner at work, and it is great.  Easy to use, nice auto-color balance, and nice and compact.

The intraframe compression errors (especially tearing) is absolutely a known weakness of AVCHD camcorders in general, but Panny's implementation of AVCHD in particular.  Fast pans and run-and-gun are just not possible with AVCHD camcorders, generally.  That's what you surrender with going with a highly lossy temporal codec like AVC and trying to do it in real time.  AVC does very well and can achieve incredible efficiencies if either:

a) the content stays generally the same from frame to frame, changing only a low percentage of the total screen pixels at any one time
b) you do multi-pass compression and use compression markers to add manual keyframes for big, sudden full-frame scene changes (fades-to-black, motion graphics, etc).

That said, if I was buying a video camera now... I would actually love a full-frame DSLR with the new video capture abilities (like a 5D Mark II).  Unfortunately, they are limited to 10 minutes maximum continuous capture time (stupid EU), but that full-35mm-frame and lens choices allows you to do awesome focus pulls and depth of field shots that my $10k Panny can't even dream about.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 02:48:52 pm »

Thanks Glynor - the intraframe errors I see are tearing on small parts of small straight edges (eg I saw it on the top bar of a tennis court fence etc).  At least I'm glad to have it confirmed that it is the Encoder and there is no point in trying to "tweak" any of the decoders.  That said even my Wife and Kids instantly commented on how Good it looked on the TV and these guys can happily see through snow.  The picture really has a lot of clarity, punch and presence when played back in the original format.

Now my issue is finding a NLE that works with this footage (and can export out) in native format.  Any suggestions as VS X3 will import and work with the clips just fine but will not render it out in 1080 / 50p :(

Thanks
Nathan

PS - the prices have got alot better for us down in Oz thanks to the grey import market from HK
JRiver CEO Elect

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 03:07:44 pm »

Thanks Glynor - the intraframe errors I see are tearing on small parts of small straight edges (eg I saw it on the top bar of a tennis court fence etc). 

Yep.  That's AVC.

I'd look at Adobe Premiere CS5 if you're on Windows.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up