INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File -> Library Functions Should Be Available in Options  (Read 985 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
File -> Library Functions Should Be Available in Options
« on: November 03, 2010, 12:42:17 pm »

Right now, the Library & Folders "tab" of the Options dialog is mostly empty, and the Library itself isn't managed via the Options dialog at all, but you have to go to the somewhat buried File -> Library menu item.  Wouldn't it make more sense to move the contents of File -> Library into the Options -> Library & Folders section?  I think it would be easier for novice users to find, and easier to use.

Then, under File -> Library, you could greatly simplify the choices.  Basically, I'm envisioning that if you go to File -> Library, you'd ONLY see the pop-out menu of your available configured libraries, the Sync Library choice, and then the choice to open the "Library Manager", which would take you to Options -> Library & Folders.  All the other stuff (Import, Export, Backup, etc) would be found in the Options section.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
Re: File -> Library Functions Should Be Available in Options
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:15:22 am »

I do not agree with this, just because there is plenty of space there. I would prefer the other way round - moving some features out of options to some Extras or Admin Menu. Items like  Build / Erase thumbnails are not options but functions.

Strictly speaking, an option should be only used for setting an alternative behaviour of a specific function.

I agree with you that the File>Library is overloaded, but some of the tasks are Extras or Admin task and not options and should be moved to such a menu if it would exist!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: File -> Library Functions Should Be Available in Options
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 10:02:59 am »

But why?  It is easy to find things in the Options dialog now that we have a search box in there.  Isn't it better to have all of your "options and settings" all in one place?  I hate it when applications have multiple places to configure things.  I can never remember where to go to find what I need.  The Library Manager dialog is certainly a "configuration" dialog, not a "function" dialog.

That said, I agree that some of those things are "Functional".  For those items, I think there should ALSO be a link to them under the Tools menu.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up