INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC Tags  (Read 1823 times)

slowdown5646

• Recent member
FLAC Tags
« on: November 06, 2010, 01:00:20 pm »

Hey, I'm switching over from iTunes to Media Jukebox. I had my music ripped in Apple Lossless and converted it all to FLAC using DBPoweramp. For whatever reason, Media Jukebox won't read the disc number tag (and to a lesser extent, album artist). I used DBPoweramp to check the ID tags to make sure none of that was deleted in the conversion, and they weren't, so I'm confused on what's wrong and how to fix it, because I have a number of albums with multiple discs and I'd like them to be organized properly.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: FLAC Tags
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 04:45:07 pm »

Some recommended FLAC/Vorbis tags are listed here: http://www.xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html, but unfortunately the Album Artist and Disc Number fields are not included and the tag mappings may vary from a program to another.

Media Jukebox reads and writes:
DISC #
ALBUM ARTIST

dBpoweramp writes (at least by default, I don't know if it allows to tweak the tag mappings):
DISCNUMBER
ALBUMARTIST

You would need to create the DISCNUMBER and ALBUMARTIST user fields in MJ, update the library data from file tags, and inside MJ copy the field values to the correct fields (this is actually quite easy and fast, you can process all files at the same time).

Another option would be to buy Media Center 15. It has some FLAC tagging changes that improve compatibility with many other programs and devices.

MC15 reads:
DISC #  and  DISCNUMBER
ALBUM ARTIST  and  ALBUMARTIST

MC15 writes:
DISCNUMBER
ALBUM ARTIST  and  ALBUMARTIST

I don't know if JRiver has plans to implement these changes in Media Jukebox.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up