INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ALAC Cover art support in MC15?  (Read 3359 times)

jkemers

• Recent member
ALAC Cover art support in MC15?
« on: November 16, 2010, 11:03:08 am »

Hi,

There were few old posts, where MC team promissed to increase support for ALAC tag reading and editing in MC15.

I have the latest MC15 version, but I don't see cover art.
I can easy play ALAC files using either with QuickTime engine or ffdshow Audio decoder (K-Lite codes pack) in MC15, but in none of cases MC15 would show cover art. At the same time the Nero show it w/o any problems.

What are your plans to read cover art from ALACs, and allow me to tag them in MC?

BR, Janis

jkemers

• Recent member
Re: ALAC Cover art support in MC15?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 11:38:39 am »

I hate this living in silos! Windows camp is in FLAC, and Apple is in ALAC.
No talking, nor moving from either side to make customer to easy work with music. Shame to MC team that other Windows SWs at least managed to ensure more decent support for ALAC, ie dbPowerAmp or Nero.

Ever I believe MC has the best Theater View in industry, I'm sick and tired to live two lives, and maintain all my 6 TB music in two versions.

Janis

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 11:50:53 am »

MC supports Apple lossless and should be able to attach cover art to it.

But it sounds like you want cover art stored in the tag so it shows up in other programs.

We have to choose our battles, and Apple has made it clear they aren't interested in a level playing field open to even competitors like JRiver.

jkemers

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 05:10:04 pm »

Well, I just want to save my time on this mess of getting media in the living room.
I just got two MACs. MAC OS X is so much more stable and easy to work than W7! BUT On other hand I was so extremely surprised that they don't have any good Media Center app!!!!
Front row is even worse that Windows Media Center, Boxee is for networking teens, and Plex is underdeveloped project.

MAC community is proud of Plex, but I compare it like 2 month baby with running ambitions teenager of JRiver.

Again this world is so wrong. I like to edit my photos in Adobe Lightroom, store my musing in Apple Lossless, and Videos - whatever they are...
There is no solution for it.
JRiver - is good at Photo & Video, but doesn't support cover art reading from Apple Lossless files.
Ples - good at video, good at iTunes, no any photo at all, and interphase and Theater view is 5 years out of date!

BR, Janis ;D

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 05:18:06 pm »

As a workaround, could you just save the cover art images as "folder.jpg" file in each album folder? It might be a good idea to have the cover art images in the file tag and in the folder. It would not take much space.

You can use MP3Tag for mass extracting the images or try the "Get Cover Art From Internet" tool in MC.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jkemers

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 05:39:10 pm »

Sure, there are many ways to pull it from files.
But, please tell me why Nero and mp3tag in W7 can read cover arts from Apple Loveless, and JRiver team doesn't want to do it???

Janis

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 10:16:51 pm »

APE, FLAC, and WMA have nice SDKs for tagging their lossless format.  That is why JRiver supports them.

Can you find the Apple SDK for tagging ALAC files?  I'll give you a hint: it's a trick question.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Robb

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 12:26:53 am »

So it's not going to be easy but is MC planning on adding support for imbedded ALAC cover art?  ;D
I'd like to know since for iPod users such as myself that are going lossless it's got to be ALAC since WMA etc are out.

jbsf

Re: ALAC Cover art support in MC15? or is something else causing this bug.??
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 02:03:39 am »

I converted some .wav files using DBPowerAmp's convertor, to .M4a lossless

I then edited their tags and album art using "TagScanner" [excellent tag editing for those who haven't tried it yet ! Incredible time saver !

I then imported these files into JRMC15, I can see the file list, I can see album art, BUT when I press play, JRMC15 always crashes.

Yet,

Some points:
1) TagScanner enables me to add album art to each file, which I did .. I'm a reluctant .M4a user in parallel with FLAC [preferred], but are there a bunch of technical issues about embedding cover art in each file, vs a 'folder' for this....?

2) MediaMonkey plays it fine, including cover art

3) When I first started up JRMC15 after doing the conversion, but before importing the .M4a files, it flashed up some message about 'the encoder for apple lossless.. is not the right version'... or something like that..

So, I'm trying to troubleshoot this, but given that MMonkey plays it fine,
and that I *can* see the track listing, tags, *album art* all fine in MC,

I'm wondering if there is some option or add-on that I'm missing? It crashes the moment I press play on any of the .M4a.
Or... is it embedding the cover art that is causing the playback problem?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: ALAC Cover art support in MC15? or is something else causing this bug.??
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 06:41:24 am »

I converted some .wav files using DBPowerAmp's convertor, to .M4a lossless

I then edited their tags and album art using "TagScanner" [excellent tag editing for those who haven't tried it yet ! Incredible time saver !

I then imported these files into JRMC15, I can see the file list, I can see album art, BUT when I press play, JRMC15 always crashes.

Please take a look at the "M4P and M4A" article on our wiki.

jbsf

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 11:58:58 am »

Thanks.. fixed it !

pcstockton

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 01:32:42 pm »

So it's not going to be easy but is MC planning on adding support for imbedded ALAC cover art?  ;D
I'd like to know since for iPod users such as myself that are going lossless it's got to be ALAC since WMA etc are out.

Just use WAV.  ALAC is for a "Mac only" world in which MC doesn't reside.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva
Pages: [1]   Go Up