INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can not get ape plugin for 7.2  (Read 1671 times)

Abe1

Can not get ape plugin for 7.2
« on: June 15, 2002, 12:00:44 pm »

After not being to use MJ 8, I uninstalled, re-installed MJ 7.2. It tried to get .ape plug-in and failed. No more music for me now. Help please.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Can not get ape plugin for 7.2
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2002, 03:29:47 pm »

Try using IE to download the plugin from our plugins page.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Abe1

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2002, 04:20:24 pm »

Jim,

I had tried the plug-in page. But it states "download for V8".
I am not sure if I should use it.

On a related note, I apologize for venting with harsh words
in my other posting. I am so happy with MJ 7.2 and expected
same for 8. Installation and learning was a piece of cake.
You guys are just great just.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2002, 06:49:04 pm »

Sorry, but I no longer make a version 7.x Media Jukebox plugin for APE files.  However, you can install the APE Winamp plugin in 7.2. ( http://www.monkeysaudio.com )

I'd recommend you get version 8 working... it's worth the effort and it includes the latest and greatest APE stuff.

Take care.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

timk

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2002, 08:46:52 am »

matt,

this doesn't seem fair. i have license for mj6, but it won't work for mj8 (thank you corporate greed!). i use mj for simple playback. it's cool, but i should only have to pay for it once. all my files are ape. i upgraded to win2k and i'm reinstalling mj7. i don't want to pay again for mj8. can't you post older plugins for older versions of mj?

as well, when it tries to install ape plug in with mj7, it says "only input, visualization and dsp plug-ins can be added."

what's going on.

please help.

Nikolay

• Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2002, 09:01:27 am »

>> this doesn't seem fair. i have license for mj6, but it won't work for mj8 (thank you corporate greed!).
I can't belive it. I just found out that my car does not come with 3 year free upgrade policy and my old one is starting to rust.

>> i use mj for simple playback, i don't want to pay again for mj8
If you use MJ just for simple playback, you don't have to buy it.

Nikolay

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2002, 09:05:05 am »

timk, I think you're being a little harsh.  It's been almost two years since version 6.  Programmers like to eat.

And like I mentioned, you can use the APE Winamp plugin in MJ 7.2.  

-Matt

timk

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2002, 10:10:21 am »

matt,

nice to see your defenders coming to your side.

as to a 3 year old car, how about if they didn't make parts for it anymore? not a very good arguement, i wasn't looking for free upgrade, just to make mj7 work like when it was current release.

license is still good for mj7. mj7 is still supported. it's not like i'm asking microsoft for support on win 3.1 or even win98. when mj7 ceases to be supported, then this is valid. hell, MS still supports IE5.01 though it's 2 versions behind.

2 things then.

work computer has mj7 installed and ape plays there. what file do i need from that computer for home one?

how do i install the APE Winamp plugin in MJ 7.2? i have downloaded and installed MAC_396F.exe

JimH

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2002, 10:18:49 am »

timk,
If you have a 7.x license, it can be used with 8.0.  No charge.  Please see the FAQ under Help above.
Jim Hillegass

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2002, 10:22:13 am »

how do i install the APE Winamp plugin in MJ 7.2? i have downloaded and installed MAC_396F.exe

Run:

Monkey's Audio directory -> MAC Winamp Plugin (PIMP).exe -> C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\Plugins -> Click "Next..."

In MJ:

Media Jukebox -> Settings -> Plugin Manager -> Add Plugin -> Find in_APE.dll from above -> double-click

This should get you up and running.

-Matt

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2002, 10:58:22 am »

And hey, don't take the lack of a 7.2 APE plugin out on JRiver.  

It's that lazy Monkey's Audio guy (me) that didn't want to maintain two plugins -- especially when MJ 8 was so much better than MJ 7.

Hoping there are no hard feelings...

-Matt

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2002, 11:14:02 am »

Ok, so you have a very smart guy that develops an excellent lossless codecs on his own time, makes it available for free to everybody, then open source it ...

the same guy works for a company that makes the most incredible jukebox on the planet, price it 25 dollars, keep coming up with improvements and allow you to run the same licence for 2 product cycles, and install it on multiple machines, stream across networks etc...

and you have the nerve to call all this "corporate greed", just because you have to use a workarond to get the codecs to work in your 2 year old version of the sw?

I admire the coolnees of the answers from Matt and Nikolay

Claudio

timk

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2002, 04:40:10 pm »

matt,

thanks for info on mj8. however, i like mj7 fine for now. it runs fine on my work computer, what do i need to do so ape will work on home computer with mj7 installed. there must be a file i can copy. OR wouldn't it be just as easy to email me the 7.2 version? you must have archives.

since you're software is free, you can do whatever you want with support and releases, but when it works in conjunction with retail software, then i think you have some obligation to support whatever the retail software supports. since it's your work, it's not worth calling J River about it like you say. but, you may be riding a fine line.

JimH

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2002, 05:13:25 pm »

timk,
I think you'll have to work it out with what's above.  If you need a copy of 7.2, try a google search, but anything from our site is now 8.0.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
Pages: [1]   Go Up