INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win 7 x64 cannot see zones  (Read 2227 times)

chasw98

• Recent member
Win 7 x64 cannot see zones
« on: November 26, 2010, 07:25:55 am »

I have just upgraded my main XP computer to Windows 7 64 bit. I have reinstalled j River and now I cannot see any of the other 2 j river computers around the house. They both use Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I can see the DLNA compliant PS Audio Perfectwave bridge in playing now but I cannot see any of the other computers that used to appear as zones. I have been using 15.0142 and have just installed 15.0159. It also seem to take a lot longer for the PS Audio Perfectwave DAC to show up in playing now. Has anyone else had this problem or have I got to check off something somewhere in Windows 7. I also saved my library settings before upgrading and have restored them so I do not think any changes have been made to my j river setup. Thanks in advance.

Chuck

And it has made no difference whether 'Media Streaming' (in Windows 7) is on or off. I can also switch back to my original XP boot drive and all of the J River zones show up in Playing Now just fine.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Win 7 x64 cannot see zones
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:53:14 am »

Turn on all the pieces of Media Network in Options > Media Network.

In particular, you need the DLNA options on the right on to control other devices.

To control a copy of Media Center, it will also need DLNA enabled on that machine.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

chasw98

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 01:21:24 pm »

In particular, you need the DLNA options on the right on to control other devices.

To control a copy of Media Center, it will also need DLNA enabled on that machine.

Server, Renderer, and Controller are all checked on the Media Network portion of Options. That is the way al 3 zones are setup. Also, Windows Firewall is also turned off and only 1 of the 3 computers is using anti virus (Avast). Thanks for responding.

Chuck

chasw98

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 04:25:39 pm »

Trying to keep this at the top of the list so I might get some help with this problem. Here are some pertinent factors (I believe) that might help you to help me.
01) 1 computer is running Windows 7 x64, 2 are running Vista 32 bit. Both are fully patched.
02) The Windows 7 computer is set to a 'work' network, the Vista's are set to a 'private' network.
03) All have IPv4 enabled.
04) All have IPv6 enabled.
05) Windows 7 has 'media streaming' turned on, Vista has 'media sharing' turned on.
06) J River MC15.0142 on all units. I have tried the newer version and it did not make a difference.
07) MC15 has Seerver, Renderer, and Controller turned on in all units.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 06:11:27 pm »

I would not run IPv6 unless you have to.  I don't know that it's a problem, but it would not be surprising if you must only run one or the other.

The three PC's need to be on the same network.  Win7 networking with respect to home, work, public is a bit of a mystery, but make sure they are on the same network, as closely configured as possible.

Try using MC's DLNA components first, then going on to Windows DLNA after you've established that MC works.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 11:10:58 pm »

The three PC's need to be on the same network.  Win7 networking with respect to home, work, public is a bit of a mystery, but make sure they are on the same network, as closely configured as possible.

Good point.  What are the IP addresses and subnet masks for the different machines?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

chasw98

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 06:52:52 am »

I would not run IPv6 unless you have to.  I don't know that it's a problem, but it would not be surprising if you must only run one or the other.

The three PC's need to be on the same network.  Win7 networking with respect to home, work, public is a bit of a mystery, but make sure they are on the same network, as closely configured as possible.

Try using MC's DLNA components first, then going on to Windows DLNA after you've established that MC works.

Everything is on  a 192.168.123.xxx network. The network consists of a Dlink DIR-655 gigabit wireless n router and a Dlink 8 port gigabit switch.
Win 7 machine is connected directly to the DIR-655 at gigabit speed.
Vista 1 machine is connected to the switch at gigabit speed.
PS Audio Perfectwave DAC appliance is connected to the same switch at 100 Mb speed.
Vista 2 machine is connected to wireless N at n speed.

I agree, the 'Home, Work, Public' stuff does not make much sense. The Win 7 machine has a fixed IP address set. MC15 DLNA is setup and has been setup from back when I had an XP machine instead of the 7 machine. Windows media Player is not used and media sharing has been setup with defaults to allow all. Did not seem to matter whether windows streaming/sharing was turned on or not.

I am not even sure how you would setup Windows DLNA but I can say that when you go to Windows Explorer and click on 'Network' all of the media devices on the network (including some not mentioned here) appear there, just not in MC15.

I have taken the whole network down (powered off) and brought everything back up. Here are the results:

The win 7 machine consistently sees the other 2 MC15 machines (the Vista ones) and the PS Audio appliance.

The Vista 1 machine (hardwired gigabit) is consistently seeing all MC15 machines and the PS Audio appliance.

The Vista 2 machine (wireless n) is consistently seeing the Vista 1 machine and the PS Audio appliance, but is intermittently seeing the Win 7 machine. I would blame that on the wireless connection except for the fact that it see the Vista 1 and PS Audio consistently. I don't know, you just gotta love Windows.

Just so you know all 3 machines are getting their music from a 6 TB Linux server that is hooked into the same switch as the Win 7 machine and none of the machines have any problem playing music perfectly from that server. Go figure??

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 08:11:40 am »

Why is IPV6 in use?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 10:42:20 am »

Windows 7 (and maybe Vista) enables IPv6 by default.  It is enabled on my network as well, though I don't have my router/gateway set up to use it at all.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 11:01:58 am »

Windows 7 (and maybe Vista) enables IPv6 by default.  It is enabled on my network as well, though I don't have my router/gateway set up to use it at all.
If I were having network problems, I would disable it on all machines.  Maybe that's being too conservative, but ....

Vincent Kars

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 11:27:22 am »

The Win 7 machine has a fixed IP address set.
Have you done this on the router?
If you do it on the PC you run the risk of a IP conflict.

DLNA
Vista – turning media sharing on/off en/disables DLNA
Win7 – always on, you have to stop the services manually
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Windows/Win7/W7_DLNA.htm

chasw98

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 11:54:05 am »

If I were having network problems, I would disable it on all machines.  Maybe that's being too conservative, but ....

I have disabled it and it did not seem to make any difference. I have just recently re-enabled it and it still seems to make no difference. I did some reading up on IPv6 and it seems that most home network routers and switches are not even equiped to do anything with it yet. If you have a router that will generate a portion of the IPv6 address, the host computer will fill the rest in based on its unique mac address. I do not have any IPv6 routers.

chasw98

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 11:56:39 am »

Have you done this on the router?
If you do it on the PC you run the risk of a IP conflict.

DLNA
Vista – turning media sharing on/off en/disables DLNA
Win7 – always on, you have to stop the services manually
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Windows/Win7/W7_DLNA.htm

Actually I reserved an address on the DHCP server so I would have a consistent IP address for setting up routing from the outside world to my internal network. There are no conflicts in the network. Thanks for checking though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up