INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few simple questions  (Read 1089 times)

Crispy

• Recent member
A few simple questions
« on: December 05, 2010, 11:57:59 pm »

1. I've read the faq's and want to confirm this. I have 3 pc's (pc, laptop, htpc). But htpc is not working and needs some upgrades. If I buy MC today, I can use the install key on 2 pc's, but I will need to use Restore for htpc later, right?

2. Also planning to build a home file server (it will probably run Server 2008 R2). Is it advisable to run MC on that (I can use the same license?) and then have all the clients connect to that? or is it better to keep local copy of music (my collection is not that big - maybe 15gb). Is there a way in option #2 to synchronize playcount, tags etc between multiple MC instances?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: A few simple questions
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 02:58:10 am »

In response to question 1, my understanding is that MC are pretty good re licences i.e if it's for use in your own home (within reason) then they're OK with you using the same licence on 3 or 4 PCs.

In response to number 2, MC allows you to connect to a server instance from multiple other PCs, so you can share the collection stored on the server.

I don't know if play counts are stored locally or on the server, but tags etc will be visible on all clients accessing server.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 07:29:49 am »

Crispy,
You can use one license on all of "your" PC's.

Thanks for asking.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:10:29 am »

1. Yes, you can use the same key on several computers. Just make sure you use the file key to activate the others, so you don't use up all your yearly restores. The file works for 14 days I think. Just copy it (or access it on a server) and double click it to activate other installations.

2. Lots of things have been fixed regarding the Client/Server model now. Both images, Video and Music should work just file with a shared library on a server. I think you'll save your self a lot of trouble by doing this, instead of adding several local libraries. Even though you access the same files on a server. When you connect to the server you should see the same play counter, same last played dates etc. There will not be any differentiating the clients as I know. This is because there is no system yet, to access the servers as different users or clients. When using this server function you also get other cool possibilities like streaming to Android phones, zone control and playback possibilities from web interface (and/or Android phone)?

There is obviously a long time since I've used the server model, but I'll start using it soon my self. I think it gives you a lot of advantages.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up