INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The media library responds very slowly to mouse click  (Read 1731 times)

JNKH

The media library responds very slowly to mouse click
« on: June 14, 2002, 08:46:04 pm »

Hi MJ,

I would like to report that when there are many items (MP3 songs) stored in the library (4800 songs), the pop-up menu takes a long time to respond to mouse clicks.  I would say about 4 secs.  The PC is a quite a high perf PC, running WinXP, HP Pavilion 8899, P4.

When I create another libary, and load only a few songs, the response is much faster.

I use another 2 products for MP3 Jukebox- the MusicMatch 7.0 and Realone.  They do not suffer from this problem- especially MM 7.0.  It responds wonderfully with 4800 song titles.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:The media library responds very slowly to mouse click
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2002, 09:12:58 pm »

If you're not running MJ 8.0.293, please upgrade.

Media Jukebox should work better with larger libraries than any other jukebox.  Just ask KingSparta (a regular around here) -- he has almost 140,000 files in his library.

Take care.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JNKH

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2002, 09:23:17 pm »

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your reply.  I've checked the version, and it is the latest.  I've noticed that after reducing the libary contents, the performance remains poor.  This is especially when I click on the icon that pops up the display plug-in menu at the Track/Visualization-View screen.

I've tried loading the MJ onto my notebook, but the response is much better.  My desktop is suppose to be a much more powerful system, and both runs XP.

shelly

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2002, 09:41:41 pm »

JNKH,

I'm also running WinXP on a P4 and have close to 8000 files. There's no perceptible lag in response time to mouse clicks or any other function.  There might be something else going on with your system. Once you resolve this problem, I'll bet that you'll never use MM or Realone again.  

Shelly

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2002, 10:04:38 pm »

No problem whatsoever with nearly 8000 tracks...

Not to bash your HW, but some time ago I made the mistake of buying an HP Pavillion (P3 800 Mhz I erased, the model number from my memory ), since I have had quite good experience with their professional lines. Never again!! It had all sorts of problems, including a very annoying random pause of a few seconds in many situations. After all sorts of failed attemps at fixing it, I jumped at a lucky occasion to replace it with a solid Dell. The best guess was that it was caused by a power supply issue caused by a design flaw. Anyway judging from their forum at the time this was a very common problem for lots and lots of users... even if it was rarely ackowledged by support. Considering the support I received on that issue, I would not be surprised if the problem was still there

BTW Despite all this I still like and own an HP printer.

Claudio

JNKH

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2002, 12:31:54 am »

Hi MJ,

I'm still troubleshooting why my MJ responds very slowly to the button that pops up the DISPLAY PLUG-INS.

I found 2 interesting problem:

When I click on the BUTTON (which has no name) but pops up the menu with the DISPLAY Plug-ins, and I notice that in the TASK WINDOW of WINXP, it shows MJ as NOT RESPONDING for 2 seconds, and then comes back.  When that happens, my MENU pops up.  I'm not sure why my system is responding in this strange manner.  Any log file that I can gather for troubleshooting, and for MJ to look at this strange problem?

I also notice the same problem when I click on the CD/DVD/Handheld Menu item in the TREE-VIEW.  When I click on this menu, a pop up screen asks me to wait, a message indicating Analyzing Devices appears.  It waits for 4-5 secs.  During this period the TASK WINDOW also shows that MJ is NOT RESPONDING.

I'm sure if my issues are related, but definitely, this behavior is strange, and it does affect the performance of MJ.

Any answers?

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.293
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1301 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 654 MB, Free - 360 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2002, 05:34:21 am »

Hi JNKH

I also notice the same problem when I click on the CD/DVD/Handheld Menu item in the TREE-VIEW. When I click on this menu, a pop up screen asks me to wait, a message indicating Analyzing Devices appears. It waits for 4-5 secs. During this period the TASK WINDOW also shows that MJ is NOT RESPONDING

I believe this is normal. It's a combination of taking control of the CD-ROM and querying the CDDB is a cd is in the tray

I still have no clue on your other problem. Is the menu you are talking about the one that pops up in the window where you have visualization etcm when you do a right click?

If it is then your slowness could be a general drawing slowness. In the same menu you have a Visualization Studio entry, where you can change between GDI and Directx drawing methods... Try switching

Claudio

Easyrider

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2002, 06:31:01 am »

Jnhk

I had a problem with MJ repsonding slow too!  Thought it was MJ, but before calling for help I decided I would uninstall MJ and reinstall and everything runs great.  

I have 2000 mp3 files and a PII 233 with 192mg ram. Realone could not even handle that many files with my computer.

Try unistalling and reinstalling, it worked for me! I'm a happy MJ lover again!

JNKH

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2002, 08:30:48 am »

Hi Claudio and EasyRider,

Thank you for both of your suggestion.  I've already tried reinstalling, and also using my backup Windows XP Disk and reinstall the MJ.  The same problem persist.

Hi Claudio,

The MENU I'm talking about is at the VISUALIZATION WINDOW or the TRACKVIEW WINDOW.  At the left bottom corner, there is a button, which sort of represent a "list".  When I click on this button, a menu should pop up.  What is happening is that this menu pop up is VERY slow- takes about 8-10 secs to appear.  The rest of the MJ works perfectly- fast as well.

So, I've isolated the problem to this button/icon response.  When I click on this ICON, at the WINXP TASK MGR WINDOW, I notice that the MJ process goes into NOT RESPONDING mode for a few seconds.  Afterwhich, the MJ process changes to RESPONDING again.  The switching between RESPONDING and NOT RESPONDING is causing the menu pop up delay.

The same problem appears if I click on the CD/DVD/Handheld icon in the MJ TREEVIEW.

So, the poor response is due to the MJ PROCESS moving into NOT RESPONDING, and back to RESPONDING again.  This 4-5 secs delay is causing my MJ to respond very slowly when I click on the ICON which I describe above, and the CD/DVD/Handheld Treeview.

I hope MJ will have a solution to this problem.

I've already tried reinstalling MJ, as advised by Easyrider.

JNKH

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2002, 10:22:54 pm »

Hi Matt,

Can you take a look at my problem of the slow mouse click for the TRACK-VIEW pop-up menu?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2002, 05:30:16 am »

JNKH

There is A Delay When You Have Alot Of Files.

Not Sure What It Is (Slow System Maybe) I See It Also

BTW: I Have 131,000 Mp3s.

It Seems The System Is More Responsive With A Smaller File List.

I Know Matt Is Working On Creating A Faster Data Base For Maybe 8.1 Or MJ9 Per A Few Comments He Made, Maybe This Will Take Care Of The Problem.

What Is The Problem?

I Think The Problem All Started When This New Search Was Created And The Time The System Is Busy Is About The Same Time It Takes To Do A Search.

MJ7 Did Not Have This Problem.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2002, 06:31:47 am »

That menu is dynamically filled, so I'm not sure why it's slow.  On my machine (with lots of files), it's instantaneous.

Is right-clicking on the display (visualization or track info) slow?  How about clicking on the two names in that bar below the display?

Is it slow every time, or just the first time?

Thanks.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AlonsoN

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2002, 07:24:52 am »

Does XP have a NT like task manager?  In NT I sometimes sort the proceses by CPU usage percentage and watch it a bit to see if some process is hogging resources.  Also what is your resource situation with re. memory and HD space?  Look at all your drives & partitions.  If have less than 20% free space it could be causing problems.

JNKH

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2002, 04:28:54 pm »

Hi Matt,

I've done more research on my Window popup problem- which is responding slowly.  I've tested MJ on 2 machines- one on a HP Pavillion 8899 and a HP Omnibook 500.

This is what I discover:

In the Omnibook 500 (notebook), I notice that the Window pop-up for the DISPLAY-MENU is very fast.  When I click on the ICON (Left hand bottom of the TRACK VIEW Menu Bar), the window pops up immediately, and in XP the task manager, you notice a new application has been spawned- MenuExDisplay Window.  This window controls the DISPLAY-MENU which MJ pops up.  Hence, all is well.

On my Desktop, I notice that when I click the ICON, the Media Jukebox application in the XP task manager changes to NOT RESPONDING.  After a few seconds, it returns to RESPONDING, and the menu pops up.  But I do not see the MenuExDisplay subprocess in the XP Task Mgr.

Both machines behaves differently.  The program works, but the program execution seems to differ in both instances.  The result of the processing pattern in the notebook seems correct, while the execution on the desktop seems to be less efficient.  It recovers from an error to spawn a subprocess (MenuExDisplay) and execution follows.  But I can have MJ figure out how to avoid this so that I can enjoy fast response on my desktop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up