INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Duplicates  (Read 1353 times)

idigapony

• Recent member
Music Duplicates
« on: December 07, 2010, 06:27:22 pm »

Is there a fast way to get rid of them in MC15? Thanks in advance.

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Music Duplicates
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 05:46:18 am »

Create a smartlist.
It allows you to formulate selection criteria like name, artist, duration etc.
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MC14/MC14_Smartlist.htm

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 10:35:52 pm »

Some questions on the smart list method.
does doing this per your example, show both the orig file and the duplicate. ?
what happens if one file is a higher bitrate then the other? can I setup the smart list to show only the lower bitrate of the duplicates ?
Duplicates are the bane of my existence, and so far I have not found a nice way to deal with them.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 01:44:20 am »

With a little juggling, yes, but why not simply use the duplicate function and then sort your view by [artist],[name],[bitrate] - that would show ALL duplicates sorted in their bitrate order and you could then decide which to keep.

eg

~dup=[Album],[Artist],[Name] ~sort=[Artist],[Album],[Name],[Bitrate]-d

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 12:20:42 pm »

I am afraid I must once again prove my ignorance ,
There is something basic about a smart list showing duplicates that I am uncertain about.
when you do a smart list showing duplicates. does it show the original and the duplicate ?
if it does not then I could just select all and delete them. but if it shows the original and dupe that would be a silly thing to do.
So how does the smart list show duplicates display work.

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 07:51:07 pm »

Show duplicates is simply going to show all files for which the specified values are not unique. In other words, both of them—or all three or four or how every many there are. The question you haven't yet asked is the more important one...How do you know which one is the "original" and which are the "duplicates"? Either you don't, or you would have to very carefully devise a means for the smarlist to decide which files are safe to delete. And there are many considerations that might go into that. You probably want to keep the one of better quality. But if the one of lower quality is a member of an album, is it okay to delete it and make that album incomplete? You may not want to delete a live or extended version of a file just because it has the same name as the original. You might even want to keep an original version after acquiring a better quality remastered version—even though they're both from the same original recording.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using even the most carefully designed smartlist to identify "duplicates" for deletion. I would rather intentionally display the files I might want to delete (or replace—so as to keep an album complete) along with the version I'm going to keep. I'd show those in a view that should all the information I need to make the decision. I can make things a little easier by excluding files that, for example, have "live" in Album or Filename. I would also include Bitrate in the sort order to help me identify the better quality versions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up