INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing to a folder on a network drive  (Read 2812 times)

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Syncing to a folder on a network drive
« on: December 22, 2010, 02:40:29 am »

hello,
I've been doing this for years. had problems now and then but thought it would be all sorted out by now..

Syncing to a folder on a network drive. Files get converted/transferred but after the sync is done MC forgets everything and wants to sync same files again and again creating new file instances (renamed) such as Another Brick in the Wall (1).mp3 and if I try it one more time - Another Brick in the Wall (2).mp3
There are other quirks - for (Multiple Artists) albums, when there's no conversion involved (cache is not used) then files are placed under (Multiple Artists) folder as they are supposed to, however, when files get converted (from unsupported format or high bit-rates) they get placed under Artist instead of Album Artist (auto). And also MC hangs (needs to be killed) a lot when it's doing all this...

?

--max

shAf

Re: more weird behaviour(?)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 12:47:33 pm »

I sync to several "devices", some to be USB flash drive for the car, and some to folders as an intermediate location for a couple of family iPods.  Generally speaking my library is either high quality OGG files , or >224mbs MP3s, for which I want to re-encode to VBR MP3s ~160mbs.

I have my devices configured for "always convert", but I notice that some files simply 'upload' (even OGGs!), while others 'convert' first.  However, if I look at the results, they all seem to be appropriately re-encoded MP3s(??)  Is there an explanation for those that simply upload without MC15 indicating that a conversion takes place?

Holidays' Cheerios  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Syncing to a folder on a network drive
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 04:38:42 pm »

You can set the filetypes that the device supports.  If ogg isn't one of them, I believe that MC will convert it.

shAf

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:34:55 am »

You can set the filetypes that the device supports.  If ogg isn't one of them, I believe that MC will convert it.
I haven't tried setting the filetype yet .. mainly because I'm not sure of the syntax.  There's an '*' now, and the help Wiki is not clear ... for an iPod do I use [*.aac,*.mp3] or [aac,mp3]?

In any case, I may still prefer to use "Convert all" and "*" for ensuring even that HQ MP3s get down-encoded ...

... and we're still left with why the weird behavior as to why some OGGs are converted and why other OGGS are simply uploaded and somehow become MP3s(?)  That is, for one album that are OGG, I can watch them simply upload ... yet, at the same time, for another OGG album, I can watch them first convert and then upload(?)

I'm only speaking of mysterious behavior -- the results are perfectly alright -- I'm simply curious  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:23:42 pm »

hello,
I've been doing this for years. had problems now and then but thought it would be all sorted out by now..

Syncing to a folder on a network drive. Files get converted/transferred but after the sync is done MC forgets everything and wants to sync same files again and again creating new file instances (renamed) such as Another Brick in the Wall (1).mp3 and if I try it one more time - Another Brick in the Wall (2).mp3
There are other quirks - for (Multiple Artists) albums, when there's no conversion involved (cache is not used) then files are placed under (Multiple Artists) folder as they are supposed to, however, when files get converted (from unsupported format or high bit-rates) they get placed under Artist instead of Album Artist (auto). And also MC hangs (needs to be killed) a lot when it's doing all this...

?
--max

I have seen this too but I do not think it was always this way. I started a new thread for it specifically. I do not since to a network drive but I bet if you tried defining the virtual device to the root folder instead of a sub folder your duplicates would not happen as I found out.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=62879.0

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:15:46 am »

The problem I described is a bit different. I was referring to networked drives/folders.
What I found is that if the "virtual device" is defined/referred to as "\\Sharename\SomeFolder" then those problems start happening. If I map the same drive as a network drive and define/refer to it as e.g. N:/SomeFolder then everything is fine.

--max
Pages: [1]   Go Up