INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: You Tube buffering in Theatre view.  (Read 1689 times)

cgbissett

• Recent member
You Tube buffering in Theatre view.
« on: January 11, 2011, 10:23:37 am »

I now have Media Centre 15 up and running on my iMac, with Windows 7, the only small issue I have come across is buffering when viewing You Tube Videos whilst in theatre view.  When I select a video to play, I tried a couple of Eminem's, it starts playing for about 1 sec, then starts buffering.  When playback resumes it is fine for the duration of the video. My broadband speed is 5.9 MB, so I don't think that is the issue, are there settings within Media Centre to eliminate this?

Cheers Craig

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
Re: You Tube buffering in Theatre view.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:01:29 pm »

I have the same problem
, it starts playing for about 1 sec, then starts buffering.  When playback resumes it is fine for the duration of the video.

My broadband conection is 20 MB, Im on Windows 7

Thomas

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 02:12:37 pm »

I've been pushing to get the whole YouTube in tview experience improved for ages. There's still some issues in this area, namely what you've both described.  Even though some improvements were made about a month or two ago, I find the performance of this no where near as good as working with YouTube in a browser. For theater view, I've reluctantly had to resort to using YouTube/xl until this gets sorted, hopefully one day soon.   
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:28:29 pm »

I've been pushing to get the whole YouTube in Theater View experience improved for ages. There's still some issues in this area, namely what you've both described.  Even though some improvements were made about a month or two ago, I find the performance of this no where near as good as working with YouTube in a browser. For theater view, I've reluctantly had to resort to using YouTube/xl until this gets sorted, hopefully one day soon.   

This was a known issue in older builds, but I'm getting pretty good performance using the latest Media Center.

When I watch a 3 mbit video with our 1.5 mbit connection here at the office, it buffers a fair amount, but this is to be expected.

One thing is that Media Center always tries to play the highest quality version available, and maybe this is a mistake?  Perhaps we should default to a low quality, like the web browser experience does?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 04:47:31 pm »

Maybe that's a good idea especially if that's a fundametal difference between the way mc does it vs a browser. Have you done any direct comparisons between the two?  Eg, doing seeks (jump ff rew) is also problematic. It's very slow even when jumping back content already buffered and the interface appears unresponsive for long periods of time. Again, this is not an issue for me via the browser.
Z-Wave Home Automation

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:00:29 pm »

Maybe that's a good idea especially if that's a fundametal difference between the way mc does it vs a browser. Have you done any direct comparisons between the two?  Eg, doing seeks (jump ff rew) is also problematic. It's very slow even when jumping back content already buffered and the interface appears unresponsive for long periods of time. Again, this is not an issue for me via the browser.

Are you playing the highest quality stream in the browser?  If not, it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 05:19:50 pm »

Are you playing the highest quality stream in the browser?  If not, it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison.
I don't know. I don't really think about it but I know I've compared the same video (links) in the past.

Regardless of this though, for media that's already buffered, are you saying you don't experience delays when you try jumping back (rewinding) and resuming playback?
Z-Wave Home Automation
Pages: [1]   Go Up