INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: library pointing does not change  (Read 1531 times)

yoyoc

• World Citizen
library pointing does not change
« on: January 12, 2011, 07:52:26 am »

Best wishes for the new year everyone ( this is my first post of the year).

I have copied all my music to an external 2TB HDD and can not pull the music from there.

I have read the posts abut the tool to repoint the database to a new location, like

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=49835.msg341255#msg341255

but somehow nothing happens and I get a message that 0 changes were made.

what should I do?

Thanks ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: library pointing does not change
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:13:01 am »

This article on our wiki may help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files

yoyoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 09:42:56 am »

Yes I had read that already.

However the situation is that I want to use a library based not he filed at the external drive, not move the current files to the external drive as I already merged at the external the files on my current library with additional music files.  So its not just a matter of moving the current to another location.

That is why I want MC to see and use the external drive files already there.

Any ??

yoyoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 01:14:00 pm »

Any help? ??   :-[

yoyoc

• World Citizen
Re: library pointing does not change... ... sort of solved
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 02:38:53 pm »

OK I rethought the question and ended up restarting the move of the files to the external drive with the instruction obtained here from within MC and repointing database to the new location.  Then I imported the rest of the music from the second file.

Still I have  a question, I have verified the properties of the files and some of the imported files and they still show the original location and not as located within the imported directory??

how do i get them to reside in the new folder so I can delete the older folder and save disk space?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:14:15 pm »

It might help to help you if others could understand what is not working as you would expect and what you would like to do.

I read your posts twice and I am afraid that I still don't fully understand. Please try to rephrase your questions. Imagine a reader that has absolutely no knowledge of your current file organization system and what you have inside your MC library.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

yoyoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 04:15:44 pm »

Some times its easier to understand one's own posts.....   .. sometimes not even. ;)

I have the latest MC installed.  My library resides in the standard place and structure.

I acquired a 2TB external HDD.

1. I wish my library to reside on the external drive.

2. I have 2 additional files with music which I want to include on my library.

How do I:

1. Move my existing library to reside on the external HDD?
2. How do I add the contents of those 2 music files ( hundreds of records on sub files in each of the 2)
3. Can I convert all imported files to FLACC, my prefered format, after imported?
4. Some of the music imported still shows as if residing on the original location not the library directory file.  why and what to do?

Thanks.   ;D

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 11:01:09 pm »

I move the folders outside of of MC to their new location.  It can be done within MC but I like to see exactly what is going on.  I then import them from the new drive.  You may have some files that show up as missing.  I highlight them and delete them.  The easiest way to see which ones need to be deleted is to sort on import date.

Tunetyme
Pages: [1]   Go Up