INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Empty Folders, How to delete masses of them  (Read 3257 times)

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
Empty Folders, How to delete masses of them
« on: January 16, 2011, 07:15:38 am »

As I re-rip my library I am transferring over music that are from other place and I am finding tons of empty folders with the cover art in them. I would like to delete these empty folders with cover art in them. I have done a search but there seams to be a ton of them out there. Any one have any ideas about what is the best one to use?
So much music so little time!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Empty Folders, How to delete masses of them
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 08:17:43 am »

If you use MC's Library Tool called "Move, Copy, Rename" to move the files (check the directory box), MC can remove the empty directories.

There are no tools to remove empty directories other than that one.

roopertd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 11:47:46 am »

Glary utilities, a free program like Tuneup Utilities, cleans all empty folders on the whole computer.
It does this during the 1 click  maintenance.
Be careful though because when it cleans the registry it removes auto import from J river.
So you either have to make an exception in the registry cleaner or just uncheck it.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 04:08:10 pm »

The problem is not empty folders. As Jim says, the tool will remove those. The problem is, "empty folders with the cover art in them."

The problem can be avoided by using a view that includes the cover art. The move operation will then move the cover art as well. For existing empty folders (with or without cover art in them), I don't think MC can help. You can delete folders from Drives & Devices, but there's no way to isolate the empty ones. I use Directory Opus to do this sort of thing. It will display files nested within folders, making it easy to spot such folders by visually scanning them all.

roopertd

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 05:20:03 pm »

I just started using a program called 'xyplorer', an alternative to windows explorer.
Not free but has a demo. I assume it's similar to Directory opus.
Unlike windows 7, it can show, and sort by folder sizes.
With xyplorer you could do a search in your media directory for "*" to show all files and folders.
Then sort by folder size and remove all folders with ridiculously small sizes.

I admit its a pretty lame solution.
I'm sure someone knows a free way to do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up