INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio Playback  (Read 1443 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Radio Playback
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:16:55 pm »

Good day all!

I have been REALLY liking Radio Playback mode.  It is like Pandora taking over my own collection.  The devs deserve three cheers for this VERY nice feature.

I have a few questions....

In Theater View, is right click "Play as Radio" going to behave the same as in Standard View where it asks if you want to use the selected files to seed the list?

Also, I am guessing playback selection relies heavily on Genre.  What else does it use?  Does anyone know?

Thanks again for such a fabulous media player....

Your very happy customer,
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

rick.ca

Re: Radio Playback
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:40:26 pm »

In Theater View, is right click "Play as Radio" going to behave the same as in Standard View where it asks if you want to use the selected files to seed the list?

It seems to. Note it doesn't ask you in Standard view either—if you select some files and use the context menu to select "Play as Radio."

Also, I am guessing playback selection relies heavily on Genre.  What else does it use?

It's a highly guarded secret.

Does anyone know?

They haven't found him yet.

pcstockton

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:54:17 pm »

Note it doesn't ask you in Standard view either—if you select some files and use the context menu to select "Play as Radio."

Thanks Rick.

It does ask you if you select Radio from the Drop-down Menu.  By default, the option to "Use Selected Files as a seed..." is not ticked.

It made me think that the right click method for Radio did not use the files as a seed.

Also, Radio seems to be much more dialed if you use the Menu option versus Right click.

I would ideally never go into Standard View for anything other than Options, so if I can "seed" from Theater View it would be great.  I just get the feeling that right click doesn't do it.

Thanks!
Patrick

HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:21:44 pm »

The Core Command has a parameter for showing the dialog or not. That leads me to believe the only difference is whether the dialog is shown. And I believe the purpose of asking—should the command be requested from the menu—is the user might assume it's going to "start fresh." If the command is selected from a context menu when a selection of files has been made, it would be bad form to assume the user did not want the selected files to seed the play. Why else would the files be selected?

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 10:58:00 am »

Excellent Rick... thanks for the explanation.

I am asking these questions because I have never cared about my Genres tags in the past.  I have whatever EAC retrieved when I ripped the disc.  Many rips dont have anything entered for Genre.  Now that I am using Radio much of the time, I made the assumption MC using genre tags to some degree for track selection.  

If it didn't use genre I would continue to disregard Genre tags.  If it does weigh in heavily, I would consider a massive retagging process.

Any guesses based on your experience with it?

Thanks again for all of your help on this and every single other thread Ive started here.

Patrick

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 04:19:04 pm »

Any guesses based on your experience with it?

Not beyond what I've said—that it seems to use Genre. I haven't paid enough attention to guess how heavily it weighs in the determination of what's selected next.
Pages: [1]   Go Up