INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Sync to clients not showing up in library server options?  (Read 5433 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync

Matt, Anyone - I've followed Matt's instructions from the future requests\library sync wiki -
To enable automatic sync, on the client enable Options > Media Network > Library Server Client > Automatically sync changes made on server back to client.

On server i setup authentication, on HTPC i connected to server put in authentication info and it connected. then i went to Media Network > Library Server Client on HTPC> and the only thing under library server client is automatically sync changes made on client back to server, which is unticked, play local file if one matches library server - ticked, show playback zones from server on the client - ticked, audio conversion, image conversion, and video conversion.

How do i get jriver to show me the option for Automatically sync changes made on server back to client, it's no there? If you guys want a screen shot let me know.

Also just an FYI i also went to other pc's in the house that are using jriver and none of them show me
Automatically sync changes made on server back to client.
either.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Library Sync to clients not showing up in library server options?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 01:41:22 pm »

then i went to Media Network > Library Server Client on HTPC> and the only thing under library server client is automatically sync changes made on client back to server, which is unticked

That's the option.  Tick it and changes will flow in both directions.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 02:29:19 pm »

Ok i've just spent an hour writing a long letter to you guys - Out of respect to jriver where can this be sent? so no one else can see it? And I would Very much like a reply!

HTPC4ME

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 03:30:11 pm »

Thank You - Sent

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 07:17:44 pm »

Ok can someone please fill me in on some important info please.

I'm now aware that by ticking - automatically sync changes made on client back to server
It will sync the changes from server to client and clients to server.
My concern... by ticking this is it possible for client computers to delete my files? rename my files? etc?
I'm scared client computers will damage\remove my server files.
I'm just trying to avoid any Huge catastrophes
Thank you for any clarification

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 07:38:30 pm »

I think you have to turn "authentication" on in the server Advanced options before deleting from a client will work but if it is on it is on for all clients (not individual settings).
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

HTPC4ME

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 08:56:46 pm »

I think you have to turn "authentication" on in the server Advanced options before deleting from a client will work but if it is on it is on for all clients (not individual settings).

Media Center's client / server system, called Library Server supports the bidirectional flow of changes. This means that the program can be configured so that changes made on the server will flow to any client, and changes made on a client will flow back to the server and out to other clients.

The system is built around the idea of a sync where changes made on the client are submitted to the server and changes made on the server or other clients is returned.
Next, since it is possible for a client to delete files from the server, authentication is required to use Library Server Sync. Enable authentication on the server in Options > Media Network > Library Server > Advanced Server Settings > Enable authentication.

This is Fun it's Like A Riddle. Thank God Im in the mood for some amusement.
Is my  understanding below correct?

So... authentication needs to be checked to use sync. and if it is on then, we have the ability to keep all our clients recently imported up to date from the server (meaning those pc's would not have to exit theaterview, go to standard view, hit file, library and reconnect then go back to theaterview) But Also, If authentication is on and someone deletes\renames\changes genre tags of files from ANY given client (or if they if there really dumb and accidently select all media files before they make changes) There's a chance they could take out one of your Tera drives or worse case scenario The FARM, And Wipe You Out!?
Is This Correct?

I will leave this option unticked until i hear further confirmation.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 09:10:35 pm »

one more thing to add

If what i said is true. i will NEVER open up my library to the outside world again,  in fact i will not even access it anymore from my phones or outside my home network. cause if someone gets that info whats the point of starting over? 
I'd have tons of money stuck in pc's and software and over 22 drives blank.

GF's Quote(lol)
It would be time for an auction, and into the GT, drop the top nice and slow, and out to the wilderness where the rivers flow.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 09:29:47 pm »

I think changes will still be pushed from server to client if authentication is not enabled but I'm not sure.  There was some talk a while ago about possibly having client "user accounts" with varying library access/modification rights so if that comes about it might give you what you want.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

HTPC4ME

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 09:39:57 pm »

ok well i think until this gets confirmed. Everyone here is just going to have to patient for me to update\resync when i have time. Cause i'm not taking the chance.
I Love to gamble in the high stakes room, but replacing all my media for a chance (due to the economy and financial hardship at the moment) i'm not that gutsy. lol

Thanks cncb.
 :)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 02:49:07 pm »

JRiver?

Do You Care To Explains For Me Please?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 05:20:54 pm »

I believe that authentication must be on.  I also believe the rights to delete will be given to any user with access.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 05:53:52 pm »

Thank you Jim.

Can i please make a request that something be changed about this?

I would love to be able to sync my server files to all clients so they are always up to date(saving lots of time and making the JRiver Experience in a whole so much better. )

But i do not want my files ever deleted or renamed. maybe possible to make to rules? leave the one rule you have in place, but also add the rule sync server changes to clients only.

Thanks for listening and clarifying for me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up