INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How-to Guide for tagging in the list using the keyboard only  (Read 1076 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How-to Guide for tagging in the list using the keyboard only
« on: February 08, 2011, 01:14:54 pm »

I'm finally breaking down and asking how to do this after trying a gazillion things and reading everything I could find.

When I am in list view (not action window) and have a field open (F2) I can tab to the next field no problem.
However, when I get to a field that has a drop-down, once I use the drop down and hit enter to finalize the item, how can I resume with the tabbing to keep editing the other fields?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: how to tab between fields in list
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 01:32:53 pm »

Did you try the arrow keys?

lise

• MC Beta Team
How-to Guide for tagging in the list using the keyboard only
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 11:14:18 am »

I finally figured out how to tag in list view using only the keyboard. Hopefully this will be of help to others.

To edit a String Field (like Genre), select it and press F2 to open it:

• Type the new Genre and press TAB to save it and edit the next field to the right OR
  • Use the drop-down list. To activate it:
    • type a letter or
    • press SHIFT+ARROW to activate the drop-down list. Arrow alone will bring you to the entry below with genre highlighted.
  • Once the list is activated, Up and Down arrows permit scrolling through the list. Highlight the item you want and
    • press TAB or ENTER only once to select it and edit the next field on the right or
    • press the Down arrow to select and edit the same field for the entry below.
DO NOT PRESS ENTER again until you are done with editing.

To ADD items to an Delimited List field (like keywords), select it and press F2 to open it or tab to it from a previous field as noted above:

• If it is empty, Activate the drop down list as follows:   
    • type a letter then use the up/down arrow to highlight or
    • press the up/down arrow to activate the entire list and scroll through it with the arrows.
  • To select a keyword, highlight it and press Enter twice to select the keyword. (Add another keyword by repeating the process).
  • Press TAB twice to accept and go to the next field on the right.
DO NOT PRESS ENTER until you are done with editing.

To REMOVE items from a delimited list field:

• Once the field is highlighted use TAB to go into the existing list and press SPACEBAR to uncheck.
  • Use the Arrow to navigate inside the list.
  • If you are finished press TAB to edit the next field on the right. 
  • If you want to add more keywords press SHIFT+TAB to take you back to the box and add new keywords as described above.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up