INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems after upgrading to IE9 (Internet Explorer 9)  (Read 35411 times)

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Problems after upgrading to IE9 (Internet Explorer 9)
« on: February 14, 2011, 03:30:28 pm »

[Edit by JimH]
This build was just released, but it will require an MC16 license.  If you bought after Jan 1, 2011, you have an MC16 license.
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/MediaCenter160039.exe

This build uses the new Chromium browser engine.  It is the same engine that Google Chrome uses.  This solves the problem of new IE9 RC installs causing MC to crash.  It is working now but still has a few rough edges.  Logins are not preserved for Netflix and other services.  Stopping Netflix playback causes MC to crash on some PC's.  Otherwise working.  This change will not affect any browsers you have installed.

[end edit]

We've had many reports of crashes with all versions of Media Center and Media Jukebox after upgrading to Internet Explorer 9 Release Candidate (IE9 RC).  We've been able to replicate the problem here but have not determined the cause as yet.  However, many users of other software are reporting similar problems on Microsoft's public IE9 RC feedback forum here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/Feedback
(you may need to be logged into a Microsoft Live account to see all of the postings here)

Some new posts just from today (2/14/2011) include:

1. SAP Gui crashes after installing IE9 RC
2. IE9 RC crashes when calling IDispatch::Invoke
3. IE9 RC breaks a well-documented jQuery plugin which worked in IE6,7,8
4. All Yahoo applications crashing under IE9
5. IE9 RC multiple crashes on Ebay.co.uk
6. IE9 RC Crashes on a page with Java Applet
7. OWA (Outlook Web Access) under IE9 RC1: Internal Error

If you have a Microsoft Live or Hotmail account, please feel free to let Microsoft know you can reproduce this bug by going to the following link (you'll need to log-in):
https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/644561/ie9-rc-embedded-in-c-application-crashes-on-idispatch-invoke-navigate-dispid
Where it shows the number of users that can reproduce the bug, click "I can too".  Probably the bugs with more repro's get more attention.  You can also leave comments near the bottom of the page.

Instructions for un-installing IE9: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/help/ie-9/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
Re: Problems after upgrading to IE9 (Internet Explorer 9)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 03:47:55 pm »

Ditch IE - Move to Webkit  :)

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?
Re: Problems after upgrading to IE9 (Internet Explorer 9) - workaround
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:50:52 pm »

I found a possible solution/workaround. Go into Media Center Options and on the left click on Startup. Now on the top click on Startup Interface, Then choose Music (that is what I did). worked for me. I have not rebooted my computer to see if this has continued to work. I will let you know in a post after this. :-)
OS - Win 11 Pro for Workstation (64-bit)
Monitor - MSI Creator PS321URV 4K UHD HDR600
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K Up to 5GHz - CPU
GPU - NVidia GeForce RTX 3080TI FE - GPU
MB - Asus Maximus XI Extreme - Motherboard
RAM - 128 GB RAM DDR4 3200 - RAM
SSD - Samsung 980 Pro & 970 Pro m.2 NVMe 1TB each
SP  - Vanatoo TP One Encore (over TOSLink)- REL HT/1003

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?
Re: Problems after upgrading to IE9 (Internet Explorer 9) Workaround confirmed
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 07:57:15 pm »

My solution above works. it is a workaround but it should give jriver some area to look into, and hopefully they can help the IE team find a solution. :-) I am a happy camper now :-)

Update: the crash seems to be how Media Center connects to media, because when I click "Connected Media" it also crashed. But if I expand the arrow next to the "Connected Media"; I can still choose my online service. I guess IE9 did something about how applications interact with both the internet and the computer it's installed on.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problems after upgrading to IE9 (Internet Explorer 9) Workaround confirmed
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 09:40:46 pm »

My solution above works. it is a workaround but it should give jriver some area to look into, and hopefully they can help the IE team find a solution. :-) I am a happy camper now :-)

Update: the crash seems to be how Media Center connects to media, because when I click "Connected Media" it also crashed. But if I expand the arrow next to the "Connected Media"; I can still choose my online service. I guess IE9 did something about how applications interact with both the internet and the computer it's installed on.

Thanks for all the details.

Beth UK

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 04:20:12 am »

I tried a different approach when trying to get MC to start:

(thought - if I try to bypass opening MC and landing on playlists...)

:: opened music folder using windows
:: Selected track
:: Right click, 'play in MC15'

Result: nasty blue screen and huge memory dump! A more dramatic exit than usual!

Just thought I'd add this to the thread.

(@Mr ChriZ - isn't webkit for Mac OS? Not much good for Windows users?)

Beth

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:57:55 am »

Result: nasty blue screen and huge memory dump! A more dramatic exit than usual!
A blue screen crash sounds like a video or sound card driver problem, try updating to the latest drivers.
If Media Center starts up at something other than the startup web page (ala Jesseinsf's method), it will run but it'll crash the first time it needs to open any web page using the IE9 control.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 09:31:15 am »

(@Mr ChriZ - isn't webkit for Mac OS? Not much good for Windows users?)

Beth

It's used by Google Chrome and Safari definitely works under Windows!

Beth UK

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 11:57:54 am »

A blue screen crash sounds like a video or sound card driver problem, try updating to the latest drivers.
If Media Center starts up at something other than the startup web page (ala Jesseinsf's method), it will run but it'll crash the first time it needs to open any web page using the IE9 control.

Hi there,

I reproduced it again and it seems triggered by the interaction (through Directory Opus) with MC15, following IE9 installation. All drivers up-to-date on everything (am a bit OCD about things like that), and the video card is decent and functioning well generally.

No doubt at all that this is all to do with IE9 - but I thought I would share this info anyway.

New Vermaje

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 12:35:33 pm »

Bonjour !

With IE9RC I can't reinstall MC15.174 !!!! Help me please !  :o :( >:( :'(

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 12:50:19 pm »

Uninstall IE9.  It's buggy.

Niacin

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 03:06:36 pm »

As this issue is pretty much out of J River's hands I deem that I won't be thread-crapping here. I am more than surprised at the number of people who seem still to be using IE. I was under the impression that most long-term internet users had migrated away to the "better" options of Opera, Firefox  et al. Do the people that have installed this troublesome version of IE still use Microsoft as their primary browser?

ogurgey

• Recent member
  • The storyteller
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 03:52:09 pm »

@Niacin: Then you clearly understand now, you got the "wrong" impression.  IE is being used by many millions of users as default/auxiliary/for fun/for-whatever-reason they like. I for one, have 4 different flavour of Browsers installed together on a single machine. And hey, the boys/girls play nicely together.  Please don't get "impressions" too quickly.

The problem is, definitely a IE9 RC problem. But, it is not a "default browser" problem.  It does not matter, if IE is default or not, it seems, for whatever reasons, MC prefer IE over a default FF or Chrome.  I don't know what happens, if I would uninstall IE completely.  Would MC continue to run? But I won't get me into this trouble of testing myself.  Maybe someone has done that, and can share the experience.

I mentioned in another thread, that renaming the extensions of the Default Pages from html to something else IE does not recognise solves the crash problem, but does not show the content of the Start, Devices pages, naturally  ;)

I don't want to hijack this thread to an unnecessary and misplaced "Browser Wars". But could not resist the temptation to answer.

Niacin

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 04:40:04 pm »

I didn't state it was a default problem - I simply asked if people were using IE as their default. I also have IE (version 8 point something, which I never use), as well as another, older, now defunct browser. My impressions, which I may add, don't need policing as they are just impressions, are based on working in IT for 20 odd years. All work installations were IE, purely for " compatability reasons" but hardly any support staff I knew used IE as their primary browser at home.
I was not interested in starting a browser argument, as I have seen too many of those pointless arguments.

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 12:54:27 am »

As this issue is pretty much out of J River's hands I deem that I won't be thread-crapping here. I am more than surprised at the number of people who seem still to be using IE. I was under the impression that most long-term internet users had migrated away to the "better" options of Opera, Firefox  et al. Do the people that have installed this troublesome version of IE still use Microsoft as their primary browser?
Why do people still use IE9? Because, more apps/programs are compatible with IE than any other browser around. oh and I did not say "Add-Ons". I say this with Non-Beta/non-RC versions of IE installed.

JohnT

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 10:31:22 am »

I added a link to the bug thread on Microsoft's "Connect" site to the original post above.

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 11:42:08 am »

I have confirmed the Bug on Connect.
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 10:02:31 am »

Do the people that have installed this troublesome version of IE still use Microsoft as their primary browser?

Yes I do, in fact it's the only browser I use.

outofspace7

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Im using Opera 10 browser! www.opera.com
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 05:32:08 pm »

Not using IE7,8,9 at all but im upgrading just to be secured, 'cause other app use IE as default engine.

From many years im happy Opera power user :)
It's just brilliant software just like MC is ;)
outofspace

Valisystem

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 06:04:15 pm »

I've noticed a similar problem after installing IE9 RC - MC exits when I click on the word "Playlist." It runs perfectly happily if I click on the down arrow to expose the list and choose from it. That's been a pretty easy workaround. It definitely has to be resolved - IE9 is likely to be finished and pushed into the Automatic Update system in the next 30-60 days, meaning it will be installed on a few gazillion computers regardless of whether the primary browser on that computer is Chrome or Firefox.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 06:28:01 pm »

I've noticed a similar problem after installing IE9 RC - MC exits when I click on the word "Playlist." It runs perfectly happily if I click on the down arrow to expose the list and choose from it. That's been a pretty easy workaround. It definitely has to be resolved - IE9 is likely to be finished and pushed into the Automatic Update system in the next 30-60 days, meaning it will be installed on a few gazillion computers regardless of whether the primary browser on that computer is Chrome or Firefox.
Since it affects many other programs, it's likely Microsoft will fix it.

corkyboy1

• Recent member
  • Well hello!
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 08:55:47 pm »

Quote:If you have a Microsoft Live or Hotmail account, please feel free to let Microsoft know you can reproduce this bug by going to the following link (you'll need to log-in):
https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/644561/ie9-rc-embedded-in-c-application-crashes-on-idispatch-invoke-navigate-dispid
Where it shows the number of users that can reproduce the bug, click "I can too".  Probably the bugs with more repro's get more attention.  You can also leave comments near the bottom of the page.

I have added my "I can too" but that only makes 4. The number may be so small because the link will not work unless you first sign on for the IE 9 feedback program.

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 02:53:06 am »

Quote:If you have a Microsoft Live or Hotmail account, please feel free to let Microsoft know you can reproduce this bug by going to the following link (you'll need to log-in):
Where it shows the number of users that can reproduce the bug, click "I can too".  Probably the bugs with more repro's get more attention.  You can also leave comments near the bottom of the page.

I have added my "I can too" but that only makes 4. The number may be so small because the link will not work unless you first sign on for the IE 9 feedback program.
Yes, this is a good idea. the more people do this, the more M$ will pay attention, and the quicker a fix will come around.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 07:24:57 am »

corkyboy1,
Thanks for posting the link.

Jim

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 04:07:14 pm »

Problems reported with WMC Netflix plug-in:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1316040

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 06:30:43 pm »

This just popped up in my Windows update-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2488113
Doesn't specifically mention IE9, and only seems to apply to Win7/ Server 2008, but I think it's worth a shot for those having issues.
(Not putting IE9 anywhere near my machine)

-Leezer-

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 06:37:10 pm »

This just popped up in my Windows update-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2488113
Doesn't specifically mention IE9, and only seems to apply to Win7/ Server 2008, but I think it's worth a shot for those having issues.
(Not putting IE9 anywhere near my machine)

-Leezer-
It looks promising.  Thanks.  MC does use 3D drawing.

Mediahome

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 11:20:44 pm »

No such luck. I have applied that update and MC still crashes if IE 9 is installed.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 11:55:02 am »

Anyone who has seen the problem,
Do you have Nvidia graphics?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 11:58:00 am »

Anyone who has seen the problem,
Do you have Nvidia graphics?

One of the computers crashing here is running ATI.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 05:25:39 pm »

I have an Nvidia and it does work on mine... I do have my main HTPC that has ATI on it. I could install IE9 on it for testing if you think it would help.

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 05:26:43 pm »

One of the computers crashing here is running ATI.

This may be a long shot but I thought it worth mentioning ...

I recently had a lot of problems with my installation of Cubase 5. I got BSOD and that application failed to allow me to output MIDI to my Roland Sound Canvas and digital piano.

I tried all sorts of things to correct this and it eventually turned out to be a problem with the latest ATI graphics driver. I reverted to the driver on the CD that was originally supplied with my graphics card and now everything works perfectly again.

It's probably not the cause of any issues with JRiver but you might want to try an older driver just in case.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 11:24:53 am »

Jim,

Obviously with all the problems with IE9, something is going on and wreaking havoc on many programs' interoperability. My question is this: is JR going to wait until MS sorts it out (questionable) or will JR attempt to address it? If Jr is to address it, will you wait for MS's final word or go ahead now. I use MC15 (faithful since MJ5), but do not see a compelling feature in MC16 to get me to upgrade at this time. Will MC15 users be left high and dry with this issue? Remember, the number of users who currently have or will have IE9 is huge, therefore many of your users will be affected by it. Never mind whether or not it is their default browser...they still have it on their system.

Thanks for a great program!
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 12:04:34 pm »

We're working on substituting (or adding) support for the Chromium browser engine, the same one that the Chrome browser uses.  It's working in build 39.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 12:48:49 pm »

Jim,

Thanks for your reply. By "substituting (or adding) support" are you referring to MC15?  As I said, MC16 doesn't have new features that are compelling enough for me to warrant an upgrade.

Thanks for a great product

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 12:56:23 pm »

We will make a decision on MC15 when we know where MC16 is going.

This is a Microsoft bug so we don't have many choices.

For now, the solution is to not install IE9.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 01:07:42 pm »

Jim,

Thanks for the reply,... I truly do appreciate your candor.

I hope you do at least make 15 compatible since it is the most current non-beta version. No new news to you, but this could be a big problem moving forward for your users since I imagine many MC/MJ users will eventually run into this problem. As for myself, I haven't even had my MC15 license for a year.

Thanks again

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 10:21:44 am »

I'll close this now.  Please see this thread for the current status.
Pages: [1]   Go Up