INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC16 Upgrade Questions and Problems  (Read 4570 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
MC16 Upgrade Questions and Problems
« on: February 15, 2011, 01:50:02 pm »

You'll need to download and install MC16.0.39 or higher from the top of the MC16 board, available at the top of this board.  The most stable build will be on the download page just under the download button.

Purchase through the Help menu in MC16.

Please check our Wiki article for more complete instructions.

Please post any questions here.

Sheugel

• World Citizen
Re: MC16 Upgrade Questions and Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 02:18:33 pm »

There's no "Buy" option in MC 16.0.31 for an upgrade purchase, all I see is "Registration info".
Do I have to wait for 16.0.32 (version stated in the wiki)? I don't want to miss the "early upgraders promo" ;D !
Thanks,
Sheugel

sunfire7

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 02:21:47 pm »

Dont want to miss it too!  8)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 02:22:20 pm »

It won't work until build 32 is out, maybe tomorrow.  Build 31 is the last build that will work with an MC15 license.

Thanks for thinking about pulling the trigger.

JimH

• Administrator

aranut

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 05:01:48 pm »

Downloaded, installed, upgraded (from 15, got the special price), everything worked slick.

Now to play with the new toy and check out the new stuff

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 07:16:51 pm »

I'm now running MC16.0.32 and i really want this stream video to Gizmo app to work.  When ever I click on a video file (mp4) from the Gizmo app, it just says "Server preparing file". I let it sit there for like 15 mins and no video starts to play.  The screen turns black like something should be playing but its not. I have to hit the back button to get back to the Gizmo menu GUI. I'm connected locally via Wi-Fi from my Android phone. I have a Moto Cliq (1st version) running Android 2.1 and the latest update to Gizmo in the market.  The "server preparing file" msg is what it also says under MC15 as well but it only converted the video file to audio only the it streamed the audio to the device.  I want to stream the video file.  

What do I have to set or configure to see my movies in my MC video library stream to my Android device running Gizmo? My settings for video under Client Options under Media Network settings is "Conversion: MPEG4 medium bandwidth stream".  Like I said, I'm connected via wi-fi.  Also is there a specific mpeg4 video file spec that I can have my test video file already converted to so that MC doesn't have to convert anything and can just start streaming the video instantly?  for example should the video be converted to mpeg4 @ 320x280 resolution, stereo audio sound @ 128kbps, & video bit-rate @ 720kbps or less???  What is the ideal mpeg4 video file configuration that MC would just start streaming without having to convert any files or even just successfully stream?

First of all I'd just like to figure out how to get it successfully stream any mpeg4 video file (mpeg4) once? Is anyone getting video streaming to their Android device via Gizmo? 

I should say that streaming audio works great. I've been doing that since the Gizmo app came out via wi-fi or 3G. The mp3 streaming is awesome.

Please help?

emjayess

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 06:47:37 am »

Hello, I upgraded to 16 last night, but going to "Help"--> "About Media Center" indicates I"m using "15.0.174." Is this correct for the Beta version? I automatically upgraded and everything seemed to go fine at the time.
Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 07:21:56 am »

Hello, I upgraded to 16 last night, but going to "Help"--> "About Media Center" indicates I"m using "15.0.174." Is this correct for the Beta version? I automatically upgraded and everything seemed to go fine at the time.
Thanks!
Sounds like you started MC15, not MC16.

If you don't have both, download MC16 and install it.

emjayess

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 09:11:28 am »

Oops! I did download it and installed it; just did it again. Then realized what you meant: the upgrade doesn't overwrite 15 like most other programs, it installs a completely new bit of software. Now 16 is running. Thanks!

mdrilling

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 03:05:35 pm »

I've been using Media Jukebox 14 for a few weeks and like it.  Your upgrade page states that "Upgrades from all versions all the way back to Media Jukebox 8 are $16.98 until February 28" but when I install MC 16 and try to Buy, it only offers the new install price of $49.98.  Am I doing something wrong, or are you not offering the upgrade price for MJ 14 upgrades?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 03:37:55 pm »

I've been using Media Jukebox 14 for a few weeks and like it.  Your upgrade page states that "Upgrades from all versions all the way back to Media Jukebox 8 are $16.98 until February 28" but when I install MC 16 and try to Buy, it only offers the new install price of $49.98.  Am I doing something wrong, or are you not offering the upgrade price for MJ 14 upgrades?

The upgrade is only for the paid version of MJ, not the free ones.  Sorry.

mdrilling

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 04:01:02 pm »

Jim, your site clearly states that ALL versions of MJ back to MJ 8 qualify for the upgrade, with no condition that they be paid versions.  It isn't unreasonable to impose that condition, but you should disclose it up front, not after the fact.  (And this isn't the first complaint on these forums about misleading statements.) 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 04:18:27 pm »

It is impossible to say things as precisely as you might expect.

It's also not reasonable to expect to upgrade a free product to a paid one.

schwaa

• Junior Woodchuck
  • and then...
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 04:21:16 pm »

I just purchased MC 16, as an upgrade, on 2/13, for $26.98. May I have a $10 refund?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 01:53:43 pm »

Jim, your site clearly states that ALL versions of MJ back to MJ 8 qualify for the upgrade, with no condition that they be paid versions.  It isn't unreasonable to impose that condition, but you should disclose it up front, not after the fact.  (And this isn't the first complaint on these forums about misleading statements.)

So you know... The confusion is because of this:

Media Center was once called Media Jukebox.  There was no free version then, just the paid version.  Then, with version 10 (I believe, I'm going off of memory here), they changed the name of the product to Media Center.  This corresponded with a major UI overhaul, rebranding, and addition of support for media types other than audio.

There still was no free version.  Things went along like this for a while, where Media Jukebox was the "descendant" of Media Center.  Media Jukebox was discontinued and no longer developed.

Then, in no small part due to suggestions from users, J River decided to release a free, more limited, audio-only version of Media Center.  They decided at this point to resurrect the Media Jukebox branding.  This effectively filled the position of a MC Lite in the product lineup.  This new, free MJ product was not directly linked to the old MJ type software, but was a "fork" of the current MC code.  The idea was to offer a free product that could then potentially drive users to try the full-fledged "flagship" product.

So... That's the deal.  You do get upgrade pricing on the current version of MC even if you owned one of these old, paid versions of Media Jukebox, but not if you simply download and install the current free Media Jukebox product (which would mean anyone could get the upgrade pricing, simply download and install MJ first).

It looks like Jim changed the text to be more clear, but that's the background story.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

scottfree.1783

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 01:59:02 pm »

Hello, I purchased J River Media Center back in 2004 or 2005. I first purchased version 10, then purchased an upgrade to version 11 (or maybe it was 11 to 12, I can't honestly remember). Then 3 years ago I switched to Apple OS X and couldn't take J River with me. Now that I'm back on a Windows PC I've tried to restore my old license, but I've changed e-mails a couple times since then and had a major (neurological) surgery in 2009 which has fogged my memory. I keep entering the e-mail I believe I purchased J river under but it tells me "Sorry, we could not find any Registration Codes for that e-mail."  I no longer have access to the account in question and can't remember having any other e-mail addresses. I'm trying to find my record of payment, but I'm not having any luck there either (for the same reason of newer accounts).

Is there anyone at J River who I can share my personal info with to lookup my previous purchase? Although I can't find the records I know for certain I purchased J R Media Center and used it for DJing in 2005, I have dozens of witnesses to the fact (because I wouldn't stop talking about how great MC was), unfortunately that just doesn't mean anything with an online marketplace. Do I have any recourse? Having already spent about $40 on J River, another $50 is daunting.

Thank you for your kind consideration.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 02:22:55 pm »

I don't see a license that resembles your current e-mail address.  Please send your name and old address(es) to me and I will check further.

I'm jimh at jriver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up