INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming video to Android via Gizmo app still doesn't work (HELP)  (Read 2981 times)

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck

I updated my Gizmo app on my phone today to the latest update, that says it fixes the failed video streaming issue in the notes, but it still doesn't work.  I'm running JRMC16.0.32 beta.  Same problem happens. I start Gizmo, click through Video, and select one of my mp4 video files that's already formated to fit my screens resolution perfectly.  Then it says Loading.. then it says "Server preparing file..." and it stays there forever and never starts playing video.

There shouldn't be any need to do any video conversion on the back-end by MC.  I volunteer to help test out this functionality out from an end-user perspective so please contact me. I work in IT and I've been doing system integration testing for enterprise apps for 13 years.  I'm not a novice at testing. I really want this functionality to work.

I still have the same questions, what's happening on the back-end that MC needs to "prepare the file", when my video files on my htpc are already mp4, and they are formatted to fit my screens resolution and the file sizes are 500MB?  What's the idea resolution (spec) for an mp4 video file in order to stream it efficiently and fast with JRMC16 (e.g. 320x280, 700kps video, 128kbps audio stereo, smaller than 500MB, etc?

Here's my setup
- connected localled via Wi-Fi
- Have Moto Cliq (1st gen) running Android 2.1
- JRMC16.0.32 beta
  - MC Video Settings - set to stream for medium bandwidth
- HTPC has Intel Quad-core 2.4GHz Q6600 w/6GB of RAM
- OCZ 1200MHz RAM
- Auzentech HD X-Fi soundcard
- ATI 5570 Radeon video card

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Streaming video to Android via Gizmo app still doesn't work (HELP)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:29:33 pm »

You need this build:
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/MediaCenter160036.exe

OK so I downloaded this latest version and installed MC16.036 and streaming video to Android via Gizmo still doesn't work.  The exact same problem i still happening. My Gizmo app has been sitting here for 30 mins saying "Server preparing file".  It just doesn't work guys.

It's frustrating to me so I can only guess how frustrating it is to the dev team.
What can I try next? 
Keith

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 12:37:57 pm »

Thanks for offering to help test the video playback on Gizmo.  We're working actively on this feature and will definitely get this working better soon.  The problem is getting the right combination of directshow filters working across various computer setups.  We had a couple issues in the Android app which are now fixed.  We made some headway on the filter problems, but I'm away from the office today due to a  major snowstorm and won't be able to update the build until tomorrow.  Hopefully that one will work much better for you and we'll continue to improve the experience as we move forward.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:06:53 pm »

Thanks for offering to help test the video playback on Gizmo.  We're working actively on this feature and will definitely get this working better soon.  The problem is getting the right combination of directshow filters working across various computer setups.  We had a couple issues in the Android app which are now fixed.  We made some headway on the filter problems, but I'm away from the office today due to a  major snowstorm and won't be able to update the build until tomorrow.  Hopefully that one will work much better for you and we'll continue to improve the experience as we move forward.

Okay thanks for the update. Please update the thread when I can install the next build that might have this problem fixed.  I'm chomping at the bit to get this functionality working for me.

Thanks
Keith

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 01:17:38 pm »

Try a few test videos of different formats to see if anything works.  It does for me.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 01:51:06 pm »

It also might not be possible on an old Android device. I'm using a G1 with cyanogen 2.2.1 which doesn't leave enough memory to spawn off a video player in Gizmo (it appears).

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 03:01:52 pm »

It also might not be possible on an old Android device. I'm using a G1 with cyanogen 2.2.1 which doesn't leave enough memory to spawn off a video player in Gizmo (it appears).

I also have an Archos 70 Internet Tablet that has a 1GHz snapdragon processor, 8GB of internal mem & 8GB microSHDC card, and is running Android Froyo 2.2 that I can also test this feature out on at the house. I don't know how much internal RAM it has though.

I guess if there appears to be a min spec for Android devices for at least streaming video with Gizmo, are you guys going to clearly state that? (e.g. must be running Android 2.1+ or 2.2+, must have 1GHz processor, must have 512MB+ of free internal space, 512MB of RAM+, etc.)?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 03:29:03 pm »

I also have an Archos 70 Internet Tablet that has a 1GHz snapdragon processor, 8GB of internal mem & 8GB microSHDC card, and is running Android Froyo 2.2 that I can also test this feature out on at the house. I don't know how much internal RAM it has though.

I guess if there appears to be a min spec for Android devices for at least streaming video with Gizmo, are you guys going to clearly state that? (e.g. must be running Android 2.1+ or 2.2+, must have 1GHz processor, must have 512MB+ of free internal space, 512MB of RAM+, etc.)?
It could also be that memory is not your problem. The G1 I'm testing on has only 110 MB of internal memory and a 500 mhz processor. Anyway for sure it's still a work in progress..
Pages: [1]   Go Up