INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume control with bit perfect - possible?  (Read 6484 times)

Belarathon

• World Citizen
Volume control with bit perfect - possible?
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:56:03 pm »

Hello:  I've tried WASAPI, Streaming, and ASIO, but in each instance, the MC native volume control is defeated.  I totally get it...it's supposed to be for bit perfect playback.
However, I find it to be a hassle to juggle two remotes - one for the PC, one for my amplifier to adjust wildly divergent audio levels amongst my source material.  Are there any workarounds, such a DSP plugin?

Thanks,

C
JRiver Media Center 27 → Topping E30 → Luxkit z501 or Sherwood S5000 → A/D/S L810

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: Volume control with bit perfect - possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:02:10 pm »

Click on the speaker icon next to the volume slider in MC.  The dropdown menu will have three options for the volume control setting: "Application Volume", "Internal Volume" and "System Volume".  Set it to "Internal Volume" and you'll be able to do digital volume control in MC while using ASIO or WASAPI.

The internal volume control is done at 64 bits.  It's a high quality digital volume adjustment.

"Application Volume" is a Vista and Windows 7 thing.  It's a way of controlling the volume for an application when using the default audio device.
"System Volume" is the Windows system wide volume for the default audio device.

Belarathon

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 01:30:57 am »

Outstanding!  Thank you kindly. :D
JRiver Media Center 27 → Topping E30 → Luxkit z501 or Sherwood S5000 → A/D/S L810

altecboy

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:31:23 am »

Hi.

Same problem here.  I tried each of the options and none were responsive to my usb controller.  Except the Pause and Play works.  Any other suggestions?
thanks in advance
lesw

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 06:26:04 pm »

If you're using a remote you may need to make sure that MC has the focus (is the active application).

I've never used a remote with MC so this is out of my area of experience.  I have a Microsoft keyboard with multimedia keys but I've never bothered to figure out if it is possible to get the keyboard up and down volume keys to adjust MC's internal volume control.  Hopefully someone with experience with this will jump in.

altecboy

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 06:44:48 am »

Other than making MC full screen, how do I do that?
thanks
lesw

audiosmurf

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:37:36 am »

i realize this is already a few months old, but i had the same problem (until i found out about that volume option right there ^^)

"problem" now is, that controlling this bar is a little choppy and unresponsive. How can i change that, or whats the reason for this behaviour. I use a Xonar DS with ASIO ofc (sooo much better than WASAPI etc.) on my Alesis RA150 AMP with a set of KEF Q300. MC absolutely blew me away and ASIO even more.

hopefully someone reads this.

oops, just noticed, MC15. Sry for that. I use MC16, the .105

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 11:59:58 am »

To make the internal volume (or any other audio processing) react more quickly, you need to reduce the buffering in Options > Audio > Output mode settings...

With a fast computer 0.1 or 0.2 seconds is no problem with ASIO.

If you ever hear hiccups during periods high system activity (the only downside of small buffer sizes), just increase the buffering a bit. 

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

audiosmurf

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 12:53:21 pm »

actually I do rarely hear hiccups, though my system isnt really slow at all. An i5 @ 4,6ghz should handle that without even noticing. Can high system latencies (ie. measured by DPCLat Checker) cause stuttering. Those latencies can be increased regardlessly of the system performance. IE by bad motherboard layout or power saving features. On direct sound, those rare lags are not existent.

Latency in my Asus Xonar ASIO Settings is on 1ms and in MC I set it to 0,02. Gonna test now.

volume control is much less choppy in foorbar than in MC
Pages: [1]   Go Up