INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Virtual Device: Not detecting Existing files: Bug?  (Read 1784 times)

Robo983

• World Citizen
Virtual Device: Not detecting Existing files: Bug?
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:53:53 pm »

I do not remember MC not detecting existing files that do not need to be sync'd on my virtual devices. Recently I noticed multiple copies of the same songs on my virtual devices using I think MC15 originally and now have consistently reproduce in MC16.0.43 what seems to be bug.

I have defined two virtual devices on one USB thumb drive to use different sync profiles on each. I also have define a virtual device as a sub folder on my H320 so I can use "Delete from Handheld if not in Sync List" to keep MC from deleting my other folders\files and the OS (Rockbox) stored on the portable HD root folders.

USB Set up
Virtual Device 1
U:\Music

Virtual Device 2
U:\Playlists

If I create the devices with the above as the path, when I reconnect the thumb drive it does not see the existing files "On Device" and will re-transfer the songs with the (1) at the end so that I end up with duplicates.

If I define both virtual devices with the same path as the root U:\ and change the music path and file naming in the options for each virtual device to point to the above folders it appears to work as expected; detecting the files on the virtual devices as "On Device" and seems to transfer only new or changed files.

Is that how virtual devices should be defined from the root?

My concern stems from seeing the "database.mpl" file in the folder of the virtual device. Only one is created if I create both virtual devices from the root folder. If I create them in the sub folders of Music and Playlists I see a "database.mpl" file in those folders I assume dedicated to each virtual device.

If I create both virtual devices from the root will it corrupt the single "database.mpl" in the root that appears to be the database for both virtual devices?

Also, if that is how it is to be set up how do I keep MC from deleting the other files and folders in the root that are not in the sync list?

Robo983

• World Citizen
Re: Virtual Device: Not detecting Existing files: Bug?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:33:03 pm »

bump

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 10:18:21 pm »

Bumb, I am now on 16.0.87 and still see this behavior. Do all virtual devices have to be defined from the Root and then use file paths for storing? What keeps that set up from deleting any files in the root or other folders on the drive that are not used by MC?

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 08:52:20 am »

I have spent a few more hours trying to find a work around for this or some procedural step I am missing. It only seems to be a problem with virtual devices as I can sync my Clip and IPOD 5G with no problems of duplication.

Things I have tried:

- Removed & Ignore all devices on the USB from MC
- Formated USB drive
- Added two new virtual devices on the USB drive as U:\Music and U:\Playlists
- Performed a Sync on the two virtual devices
- Removed the USB and Re-inserted it
- Result on resync existing files not detected and files were duplicated with the (1) at the end
- I have the setting to delete if not in sync list, no album artwork, and resync if Date Modified.

Also tried the above but defined two device from the root folder instead of separate folders and that did seem to confuse MC for files to sync.

I had the thought this morning to try the Rebuild Database from the Drives and Devices on the virtual device but I can not find what that is suppose to do on the wiki and if it is different than performing a Recheck Sync. I also do not think I have tried without the check box for resync if Date Modified.

The way it is working now MC is completely unusable for syncing virtual devices. I am better off dragging and dropping vs getting duplicates or have to delete all my MP3s from the virtual device and do a fresh sync each time. On my 30GB H320 that would be a pain.

Robo983

• World Citizen
Syncing to a Network Drive Problem
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:19:11 am »

I think that the problem in the thread below is linked to my same problem so I do not think it is my set up alone. I never saw a response to maxxsid's thread from jriver so thought I would add it to this thread as a reference.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=61284.0

dbalkunjr

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:07:58 am »

I tried syncing my android device this morning and same thing happened to me.  I do not remember this reacting this way when I first set it up at the beginning of April(forget which version was installed). Can someone look at this?

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 09:02:04 am »

Tried Un-checking resync if date changed and it did not fix the problem. I can't remember for sure but the conversion should be set to not convert.

When I first started trying to isolate the problem at one point when I was testing I thought it worked when I had just a small batch of test MP3s and did not change the folder naming for audio but never circled back around to test it again. I will try that tonight with what ever MC defaults for folder naming. My folder naming is rather complex so maybe that is throwing it off in the comparison for sync. My car radio does not recognize M3U playlists and only plays folders but I could simplify it if this would fix it.

My folder naming template:

"If(IsEqual([Grouping], Album), Various Artists\[Album], if(IsEqual(AlbumArtist(), Multiple Artists), if(IsEqual([Genre], Classical), Classical\Various Artists\[Album], if(IsEqual([Genre], Country), Country\Various Artists\[Album], if(IsEqual([Genre], Kids), Kids\Various Artists\[Album], if(IsEqual([Genre], Christmas), Christmas\Various Artists\[Album], Various Artists\[Album])))), if(IsEqual([Genre], Classical), Classical\[Artist]\[Album], if(IsEqual([Genre], Country), Country\[Artist]\[Album], if(IsEqual([Genre], Kids), Kids\[Artist]\[Album], if(IsEqual([Genre], Christmas), Christmas\[Artist]\[Album], [Artist]\[Album])))))) "

Robo983

• World Citizen
Solved: Virtual Device: Not detecting Existing files: Bug?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 11:06:59 pm »

Solved:

I confirmed that for Virtual devices syncing does not work with complex folder naming or maybe it is just with conditionals like "if" statements as in my previous post. I was able to re-create the problem consistently and then correct it. As soon as the folder naming was changed to the one with an "if" statement, once the re-check sync button was pressed the files showed in queue to transfer when they had just been transferred only seconds before. Changing it back to the [Artist]\[Album] default corrected this and it appears to correctly identify files on the divice, new files to transfer, and delete the ones removed from the sync list.

Now that I have it working I consider this solved. I do not think this is important enough for me to consider it a bug or JRiver to spend time on.

I use the same Folder naming structure for my Library and new imports and never had a problem but I was never syncing to my Library and this only showed up when working with my Virtual Devices.
Pages: [1]   Go Up