INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 16.0.49 - Lyrics  (Read 7098 times)

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
MC 16.0.49 - Lyrics
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:52:23 pm »

Hi,

How can I get the lyrics embedded in the tag to display in MC?

The only area where I can see it is possible is by double clicking the artwork at the bottom of the left hand side pane. There are various 'track info' skins to choose from - some have a lyrics link; however the lyrics are not shown despite then being included in the tag. Is this a bug?

Where else can I access the lyrics?

Thanks for your help.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 16.0.49 - Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 02:14:35 am »

Open the Tag "Action Window" at the bottom left. If [Lyrics] is included in your view, select "Show tags in current view" from the Tools menu. Otherwise, add it using "Also show..." Clicking on [Lyrics] will open an edit window. If you like, maximize this window so it fills the entire tree panel. You can just leave this open, and it will display the lyrics of whatever file is selected in the view.

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 11:38:38 am »

Hmm, the lyrics field is blank. I've double checked using tag&rename - the lyrics are embedded.

Not sure what's going on......

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 01:29:31 pm »

Could your problem be the same or similar to that discussed here?

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 01:48:55 am »

This is exactly the problem I have. Removed the eng prefix and all is OK. Trouble is all my lyrics are like this (unsynchronised).

So there is no fix at present?

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 02:26:50 pm »

So there is no fix at present?

No. And JRiver has never commented on the matter, so I'm not hopeful there ever will be. Unless we can establish MC is failing to read tags that have been properly written. What application wrote your tags? What other applications can read them?

BTW, according to ID3.org, the applicable standard would seem to be...

4.9. Unsychronised lyrics/text transcription

This frame contains the lyrics of the song or a text transcription of other vocal activities. The head includes an encoding descriptor and a content descriptor. The body consists of the actual text. The 'Content descriptor' is a terminated string. If no descriptor is entered, 'Content descriptor' is $00 (00) only. Newline characters are allowed in the text. There may be more than one 'Unsynchronised lyrics/text transcription' frame in each tag, but only one with the same language and content descriptor.

<Header for 'Unsynchronised lyrics/text transcription', ID: "USLT">
Text encoding         $xx
Language               $xx xx xx
Content descriptor  <text string according to encoding> $00 (00)
Lyrics/text             <full text string according to encoding>

...but I don't know how to examine a file to determine if this has been complied with or not. Maybe someone else can help with that. :-\

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 01:30:11 am »

Lyrics tagged using another program and the lyricator script.

All the players/taggers I've used can read these lyrics (e.g. tag&rename, Mp3tag, Helium Music Manager, etc).

Perhaps you will want to look at his: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t50699.html

See the comment "UNSYNCED LYRICS is indeed mapped to the USLT frame"

Having the ability to see the lyrics is a big issue for me and that alone may dissuade me from buying MC (which is an excellent program in all others respects - what a shame).

rick.ca

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 04:37:06 am »

See the comment "UNSYNCED LYRICS is indeed mapped to the USLT frame"

Is this the cause of your problem? If I write an UNSYNCED LYRICS tag using MP3Tag, it shows up in a TXXX frame and not as [Lyrics]. If I write an UNSYNCEDLYRICS tag, it shows up in USLT which is mapped to [Lyrics]. The problem I had with MiniLyrics (it was a while ago, so I may not remember correctly) seemed to be caused by how the Language and/or Content descriptor were written to USLT. :-\

I tried a simple test illustrated by the screen shot. It seems to show...

• Lyrics written to an UNSYNCED LYRICS tag go to a TXXX frame. They won't show up in MC as [Lyrics], but they will show up in the custom field [UNSYNCED LYRICS].

• Lyrics written to an UNSYNCEDLYRICS tag go to USLT which MC maps to [Lyrics].

• If a Content descriptor is used (I believe MiniLyrics does this), the USLT is ignored by MC.

If 1. is your problem, the simple fix is to copy [UNSYNCED LYRICS] to [Lyrics].

I know I'm not understanding this fully, but it certainly seems MC should at least be able to read lyrics in forms 1 or 3 if it doesn't already have them in its preferred form 2.

JRiver?

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 01:48:07 pm »

I think I have all 3 if 3. is prefixed by engl for example. I certainly have 1&2.

How do I set up the custom field?

Do you know of a program that will batch copy [UNSYNCED LYRICS] to [Lyrics]? Mp3Tag does not seem to have a field for [Lyrics].

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 02:57:31 pm »

Found a solution with Mp3tag.

The problem lyrics are preceded by "XXX|Generated by Helium Music Manager". If the prefix is replaced by XXX| or eng|, MC now reads. :) I have removed the content descriptor which causes the problem with 3 above.

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 03:51:14 pm »

You posted as I was preparing the following instructions. I'll leave them—for the record. Were you able to fix all your tags using a "Replace" Action in MP3Tag?

Case 2 is the one that works. UNSYNCEDLYRICS is the physical tag MC maps to [Lyrics]. If it has a language token, it has to be in the form "eng||" and not "eng|".

If your files do have lyrics in an UNSYNCED LYRICS tag, this is what you should do:

• Use Options>Library & Folders>Manage Library Fields>Add New Field to add the custom field [UNSYNCED LYRICS] (case doesn't matter, but it otherwise must be exact). Set Edit type to "Large Value" and set "Store in file tags."

• Add both [Lyrics] and [UNSYNCED LYRICS] to your view (a Panes View would be best for this).

• Select some files (try on a few before doing many or all) and from the context menu select Library Tools>Update Library (from tags) to read the lyrics tag to [UNSYNCED LYRICS].

• To copy [UNSYNCED LYRICS] to [Lyrics], open the Tag window, select [Lyrics] and enter "=[UNSYNCED LYRICS]".

If all applications can read [Lyrics] (saved in the UNSYNCEDLYRICS file tag), then you'll probably want to delete the UNSYNCED LYRICS tag. To do so from MC, select some files, delete [UNSYNCED LYRICS] in the Tag window, and then do an Update Tags (from library). You could also remove the field using MP3Tag.

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 04:07:59 pm »

Mp3Tag replace function is doing the trick. What I didn't appreciate is the difference between UNSYNCED LYRICS and UNSYNCEDLYRICS (the space). I am removing the content descriptor of the latter - hence why it is showing up in MC.

Thanks for the additional instructions. I will study them in any event.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 12:51:52 pm »

Could someone email me a sample file that contains lyrics with a content descriptor that we are failing to read?  I'm matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 01:31:16 pm »

Can do but you can use Mp3tag to put the following prefix before the lyrics under the UNSYNCEDLYRICS tag:

"XXX|Generated by Helium Music Manager|"

MC will then ignore the lyrics.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 02:14:45 pm »

Can do but you can use Mp3tag to put the following prefix before the lyrics under the UNSYNCEDLYRICS tag:

"XXX|Generated by Helium Music Manager|"

MC will then ignore the lyrics.

If you don't mind, toss me a sample file.

Thanks.

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 02:35:49 pm »

How do I upload a file (it's not obvious)?

rick.ca

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 02:51:48 pm »

Email it to...

matt at jriver dot com

I've send a sample, but you should too. I'm sure it will be helpful if Matt can confirm we're really talking about the same thing. ;)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 09:40:13 am »

Thanks for the files guys.

Coming in build 16.0.53 (and later):
Changed: Added support for reading TXXX(UNSYNCED LYRICS) from ID3v2 tags (used by some software instead of more standard USLT).
Fixed: Reading lyrics from ID3v2 USLT frames did not work properly if the frame contained a content description.

As a disclaimer, we don't currently support SYLT (synchronized lyrics).  I'm assuming anything that writes a SYLT frame will also write a plain text USLT frame.

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 12:06:23 pm »

Nice.

Thanks for that Matt. That will certainly save me some work!

rick.ca

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 02:22:41 pm »

Thanks for the quick fix, Matt.

I'm assuming anything that writes a SYLT frame will also write a plain text USLT frame.

I think that's a reasonable assumption. MiniLyrics does. But it's just stripping the time codes from the synchronized lyrics it has downloaded, and saving that in USLT. So, while it's a method of getting lyrics automatically (as tracks are played), it's a very poor source for quality lyrics.

Hopefully, the change will mean that whatever method or application used to write lyrics tags, MC will recognize them if they comply with the standard.

dcwebman

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 07:24:41 am »

Rick, just curious. What are you using these days to get lyrics?
Jeff

rick.ca

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 02:17:53 pm »

I use Foobar2000 and its Lyrics Grabber plugin, as described here. It gets lyrics from LyricWiki (among others), which is the best site I've found for lyrics. The main reason for that is they provide the "official" version from Gracenote for a substantial portion of the lyrics. If I'm replacing lyrics I'm not happy with, I'll normally use LyricWiki directly—so I can choose the official version, if it's available. I haven't yet deduced which version Lyrics Grabber gets, but I assume it's the default user-provided version. Lyrics Grabber gets only the default user-provided version.

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 01:34:57 pm »

Content descriptor still results in MC ignoring the lyrics in 16.0.55

rick.ca

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 03:12:06 pm »

Content descriptor still results in MC ignoring the lyrics in 16.0.55

Can you be more specific? I find a content descriptor included in a USLT works fine—the content descriptor is ignored and the lyrics are imported correctly. I'm sure a TXXX (UNSYNCED LYRICS) doesn't include a content descriptor. So if one is included, it will be interpreted as part of the lyrics, but the lyrics will be imported.

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 04:03:49 pm »

Here is an example:

UNSYNCEDLYRICS

XXX|Generated by Helium Music Manager|

Doesn't show (I've sent Matt the file but he ain't replied yet).

rick.ca

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 05:31:51 pm »

OIC. The "XXX" seems to be the problem. If that were a proper language code (e.g., "eng"), it would work. :-\

Galaxian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 09:22:06 am »

XXX with no content descriptor is fine
Pages: [1]   Go Up