INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help! MC seems missing to import some of my audio files  (Read 2223 times)

acwcanada

Need help! MC seems missing to import some of my audio files
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:36:04 pm »

Just moved from Windows Media Player 12 to MC 15. However, I got a problem perhaps someone can point me for a direction.:
I have almost 6000 thousand albums 100 thousand tracks of audio files with a size approx 500GB of which I had collected in the past 10 more years. Windows Media Player took over 10 hrs. to build up the library but MC only need 10 minutes, it's great! However, after the import, I found out MC library is a couple hundred tracks less than Windows Media Player, and during the import, MC didn't provide any error. I have no idea which one is shows the correct number MC or Windows Media Player. So I run a software called FolderSizes to search my audio collection and getting the exact track numbers as Windows Media Player had indicated. In such a way, I have to presume that those couple hundred tracks are really not imported by MC. I rerun the import procedure a several times and not able to have MC generate more tracks which it had missed. I am talking about 100 thousand tracks so its really impossible for me to manually identify those missed tracks.  :-[
Can someone give suggestions to solve the issue, thanks. :P

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Need help! MC seems missing to import some of my audio files
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:12:56 pm »

There are probably a number of ways to accomplish this, depending upon the tools you use and know.

Being an old *nix guy, I'd export a playlist from each program that includes all the tracks.  Then, I'd massage each file to get a sorted list of tracks and run a diff against them to show only the differences.  This will give you the list of tracks that are missing in either.  It would take just minute or two.  I'm happy to do it for you if you're not interested in undertaking it yourself.  Others may have additional suggestions.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

acwcanada

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:50:33 pm »

MrC thanks for your prompt.
The program FolderSizes can easily generate a track list from my audio source folders either text or html. I know a certain ways to compare text/html files but I just don't know how to have MC export a full track list from the entire library. Can you please give a hand? I just moved to MC 2 days and not familiar with the program, perhaps you can advise the way more specific. Thanks in advance.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 12:06:44 am »

Select any file list audio view that includes Filename as a column.  If Filename isn't in any of your views, add it by right clicking the column header and selecting it.  Then, select all of the tracks with Control-A.  Then File->Export Playlist..., select Text File, and at the bottom, select Selection.

You can do the same by adding the selected files to a playlist, and exporting the entire playlist.

If you customize a view to only include Filename, then your post-processing will be minimal since only the full path to the files will be included in the output.

Puddins

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 05:23:32 pm »

With this method, would i be able to update my music collection from mediamonkey to MC15 without having to go through the process
of adding drives and correcting the various tags? Similar the original poster i have 1TB drive which i am trying to form as part of a HTPC setup!

MrC

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 05:51:17 pm »

All media software has to gather its meta-data from somewhere.  This comes from one or more of: a) the audio tag meta-data, b) the file name, c) the directory tree.  MC can us the information you have.  If you have a bunch of files with nonsense names, in random directories, w/out any tag data, I can't imagine there is any software that can magically intuit this information.

Perhaps you can describe what you have in regards to (a), (b) and (c).

Puddins

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 06:24:23 pm »

HI again, well most of my files are flac and tend not to have meta data as a fir few are my own eac rips before i knew about correct tagging.
So in 'another program' i meticulously named each file (in playlist but not external folder) and assigned correct art. I hadn't discovered a way to carry this data from one program to another to save me the hassle of hours of re-tagging.

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up