INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved] Scratchy Sound Quality When Performing Other Tasks.  (Read 2353 times)

dlmax63

• World Citizen
[Solved] Scratchy Sound Quality When Performing Other Tasks.
« on: April 06, 2011, 09:34:14 am »

When performing intensive operations through MC, I get scratchy/jittery sound when listening concurrently.  While analyzing for replay gain (one at a time because I've had crashing problems with the two at a time setting on previous versions), it is very apparent. While doing this, my CPU usage on both cores nearly maxes out.

I didn't notice it when I had just MC15 on my system, but now I notice it on 16. I still have 15 on my machine so I went back and tried it with the same results regardless of playback settings.

Before you ask, yes I play m4a (alac) files (lots of them). I've tried changing the playback method to both "Automatic" and "JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow filter)" with a source filter of "DC-Bass Source" (v1.1.1). This setting makes no difference.

Are there any settings that could be causing this, or is it possibly something else?

Media Center 16.0.63 Registered -- C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 16\

Workstation 6.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 7601) [x64]
Intel Pentium III 2101 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 4192 MB, Free - 1299 MB

Internet Explorer: 9.0.8112.16421 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.7601 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.1.7601 / Shell32.dll: 6.1.7601 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive H: Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7640S  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive I: Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7640S  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 100
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive H: Optiarc  DVD+-RW AD-7640S   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:2  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices:

Interface Plugins:
  TiVo Server (Active)

=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 5.712 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 3.339 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 5.772 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 3.759 seconds
Score: 1023

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 2.356 seconds
    Flood filling... 1.813 seconds
    Direct copying... 2.929 seconds
    Small renders... 4.027 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 4.451 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 3.939 seconds
Score: 1127

Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 1.159 seconds
    Populate database... 2.780 seconds
    Save database... 0.264 seconds
    Reload database... 0.108 seconds
    Search database... 2.901 seconds
    Sort database... 2.233 seconds
    Group database... 1.758 seconds
Score: 1919

JRMark (version 16.0.63): 1356
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Scratchy Sound Quality When Performing Other Tasks.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 09:49:22 am »

Have you tried the "Weird Problems" thread in my signature?

Does it happen when you're playing other filetypes?

ASIO?  WASAPI?  What are you playing to?  Receiver?

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:53:40 am »

No, I'll go through the related issues on your thread.

As to other filetypes, I'll check. I didn't pay attention to what was specifically playing at the time.

I'm using analog output through one of my headphone jacks to a Cambridge set of speakers.

Once checked out I'll get back to this thread with results.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 10:02:10 am »

In Audio settings, try switching between DirectSound and WAVE Out. 

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:06:24 am »

I went ahead and changed from direct to wave with no change in sq (yes, I stopped playback) before trying.

I've got to run some errands, so I haven't tried the weird problems yet.

Thanks.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:40:05 pm »

Re filetypes: No difference when it was mp3s playing while analyzing for replay gain. I did notice, however, that the sq problem was greatly exacerbated while changing the volume (system volume) from within MC with analyzing going on.

After reviewing the "weird problems" thread, the only thing that worked for me was using exclusive mode in WASAPI. I tried nonexclusive with various configurations/buffers but was unable to totally eliminate the poor sq. I could, however, decrease it. This is unfortunate for sound notifications, but will have to be the solution for me. I will not tolerate the poor sq.

Life and computers are full of compromises. ;)

Thanks for the help, Jim

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
Re: [Solved] Scratchy Sound Quality When Performing Other Tasks.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 02:33:57 pm »

One way of being able to do still get system sounds while doing exclusive mode for music is to use two audio devices along with an external mixer.  For example, get a USB DAC dedicated to the good audio for music listening.  Use the integrated sound as your default audio device for system sounds (Flash and other browser audio will also go through the default audio device).  Then use an external mixer to mix the two outputs.  A button on the mixer will allow you to select one or the other or both inputs.

A pro-audio oriented shop will have a variety of suitable stereo mixers or devices that can sum stereo inputs.

That's the general setup I use for the computer audio.  Good audio (music and DVD) through the good DAC.  System sounds, Flash and YouTube through the integrated sound card.  Run both through a device that can sum the two inputs and send the mixed or summed audio to my headphone amps and/or speakers.

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 02:54:41 pm »

Frobozz,

Thanks for the idea. Should I decide to go that way, I'll give your suggestions a try.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 05:24:15 pm »

Any way you configure a computer based audio system is going to be an art of compromise.  It all depends on where and how you decide to make those compromises.

For input/output control one option is a monitoring mixer.  It will allow for selecting and switching multiple stereo inputs and multiple stereo outputs.  On the low cost end there's the Behringer MiniMON.  It'll cover the basics allowing for selecting/summing up to 4 stereo inputs and sending that to up to 3 stereo outputs.  Nice and flexible.  I use a Mackie Big Knob which is a $300 version of the Behringer.  There's also various DJ mixers that would do the job and other various audio boxes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up