INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tracks of some albums out of order in Playing Now  (Read 5084 times)

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Tracks of some albums out of order in Playing Now
« on: April 07, 2011, 01:56:34 am »

This is a rather odd issue that has apparently been around for a long time and never resolved. In searching the Forum for answers, I was surprised to find myself trying to help someone else (Why does MC14 Playing Now mix track order and filename order playback??). Now, more than a year later, I have the same problem. I suspect the condition has been there all along, but I haven't noticed it until now...

Today I sent an album to PN and was surprised to see that it turned up there in alphabetical order by track name. It was sent by double-clicking the album in an Album pane of a Panes View with Sort inside groups by set to Default (which I understand to be [Disc #] - [Track #]). The tracks appear in the correct order in the Panes View, [Disc #] is empty and Shuffle is off. Other albums work fine. Not surprisingly, this album does exactly the same thing when sent to a playlist. Other albums work fine. I tested 100 albums and found four behaving this way. Two of the four end up in [Name] order in PN. One had only one track out of order. The fourth seemed random. The first two also had the same [Date Imported]. Of the eight imported that day (in December, by MC15), four have this issue.

The workaround is to make a [Disc #] - [Track #] sort preset, and then use that instead of the Default. I suppose that's not so bad, but it's still disconcerting that something so strange and random is going on. Also, only a small portion of albums being affected suggests something is "wrong" with those records—which I have no idea how to fix. :-\

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rick.ca

Re: Tracks of some albums out of order in Playing Now
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 01:17:55 pm »

Same as this?

I'm sure it must be the same issue. I don't agree entirely with the conclusions reached then. It's clearly confined to specific albums. The fact I found a large portion of albums imported on one day affected suggests the condition that triggers it is created a the time of import. It doesn't make any difference whether the view is the primary view or a child. It's confined to a Panes View, or perhaps just a method of invoking play which only exists in a Panes View. It only happens when I double-click on an album in an Albums pane (or select Play from the context menu of the same object). It does not happen using the Play button.

Also, try erasing the "Cache" folder under your library folder followed by a program restart.

Just to be sure, I tried this—it made no difference.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 02:42:33 pm »

I don't see anything relevant in recent Change Logs, but this issue is not present in build 85. To be more precise, the albums that didn't play in the correct order now do.

disneyandbond

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 10:04:07 pm »

I must disagree - I was about to post a new thread about my issue before stumbling on this thread. 

I was experiencing this same issue until a minute ago, and I have version 16.0.121 --- in my case, though, when clicking in Panes mode every single album clicked would play as shuffled (and all shuffle toggles were off). 

Or at least they did, until I did the "custom" sort-by workaround mentioned above  ("The workaround is to make a [Disc #] - [Track #] sort preset, and then use that instead of the Default")

So everything is working for me now, but I just wanted to chime in that the "default" sort within group function is still busted somehow in that it makes the play order random (shuffled) when the user does not want it to be shuffled.

anyways, thanks for the workaround whoever came up with it!

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 12:31:36 am »

The issue I originally reported is back. Maybe they are, I'm not sure there's any value in assuming your issue is the same as mine. The issue I had did disappear in build 85. Prior to that and now, my issue is confined to a small number of specific albums. (All the same ones are affected, and I've found no more.) Each of these albums starts playing with the same track every time. This is quite different than every album playing in a random order.
Pages: [1]   Go Up