INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If you like Media Jukebox  (Read 26133 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
If you like Media Jukebox
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:50:10 pm »

If you've grown to love Media Jukebox, please consider JRiver Media Center.

kevinahcc20

Re: If you like Media Jukebox
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:17:02 pm »

I have seiously considered it but I have not been able to identify a compelling reason.  I use Jukebox for ripping music to my Stora network drive and organizing it and for syncing my iPod and I love it.  I also use it to manage a subset music library that I keep on my laptop.  I only use it for music, no video, photos etc.  I use a Squeezebox Touch for 95% of my playback and only very occasionally use my laptop directly into my USB DAC with Jukebox.  So for my usage profile what would MC provide that Jukebox does not?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

kweaver

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 01:56:59 pm »

I have seiously considered it but I have not been able to identify a compelling reason.  I use Jukebox for ripping music to my Stora network drive and organizing it and for syncing my iPod and I love it.  I also use it to manage a subset music library that I keep on my laptop.  I only use it for music, no video, photos etc.  I use a Squeezebox Touch for 95% of my playback and only very occasionally use my laptop directly into my USB DAC with Jukebox.  So for my usage profile what would MC provide that Jukebox does not?

I am interested in anmy responses to the above post.  I too only need a media player for ripping my music collection and organizing it and playing tunes.  I downloaded Media Center 16 yesterday, but it seems to be a lot more than I really need.

What are the biggest differences between MC 16 and Media Jukebox?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 02:37:03 pm »

As Matt says, "because it's nice to support JRiver".  We have kids and dogs.

Seriously, there are a wealth of features.  I'll try to fill this in over the next few days.

Much better support for Vista and Win7.  Think UAC.

Audiophile quality with ASIO, Kernel Streaming, WASAPI.

64 bit data path

VST plug-ins

Show Room and Cover View

Theater View

Remote control from Android or iDevices.

Customizable so you can get a player that is Audio only if that's what you want

No ads

Last.FM

Netflix

Hulu

Youtube

Play Doctor

More here:
http://www.jriver.com/v16.html
and here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Upgrade_to_MC18

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 02:22:32 pm »

MC16 has a customizable Theater View with many options.  It includes a 3D view called ShowRoom that can be flicked left and right on a touch screen.

More pictures

This is ideal for use across the room when controlled by JRiver's Media Center Remote or with Gizmo on Android.

fswidecki

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 06:27:10 pm »

Well, I'm really liking Media Jukebox. It is not working flawlessly for me, however. Nowhere am I finding what the system requirements are. I have a 1.4ghz netbook with 2g ram. I am experiencing stuttering during playback, it seems to occur only after I have done a lot of other work. The only thing I am seeing is it occurs when my ram utilization or reserved ram is more than 1g(apx). Windows Media Player doesn't have this problem. Does the ASIO, kernal streaming, or WASAPI (whatever they are) solve this problem?

I am planning on getting a dedicated HTPC; when I do, it would be good to know if it will run Media Center. Or, it would be good to know what I need to get in order to run J River Media Center.

Thx,
   Frank

P.S. I am nearly the furthest from computer literate.

P.P.S. I would buy Media Center because I believe in paying for what I get; don't really care for kids and dogs.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:54:17 am »

Frank,

MJ and MC should work fine already on an entry level modern PC (like your netbook). Though decoding of some HD video formats, the Theater View display mode and the other optional 3D display features in MC may require more CPU and/or 3D graphics power to work smoothly.

Sometimes audio playback stuttering can be cured just by slightly increasing the buffering setting in the Playback Mode > Output mode settings. Please start a new thread for discussing your problem. Post as many details as you can. (OS, settings, hardware, file formats, what you do when "reserved RAM is +1GB", etc)

Regarding MC, you can simply install and try it. MC has a free 30-day trial period.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

fswidecki

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 10:30:34 pm »

It's working OK now. Thanks

Laz Baz

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 08:31:30 am »

I too like MJ14 for ripping CDs to FLAC and storing on external 1TB HD. However I have an issue with it.
1. I play my FLAC files from the EHD via USB into my Onkyo TXNR 609 Receiver. The tracks ripped by EAC and MediaMonkey while playing a track show on the monitor: first line-Track name,second line Time, third line-Artist and the 4th line- Album.
However the track ripped by MJ14 shows: first line-Artist-album (truncated)-Track # and Track name. The second line shows Time but the 3rd & 4th lines are blanks.
I have tried various Folder & Filename rules but I Can not get it as the first two. Is there a way to do it?

William

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 11:23:31 am »

...the track ripped by MJ14 shows: first line-Artist-album (truncated)-Track # and Track name. The second line shows Time but the 3rd & 4th lines are blanks.
I have tried various Folder & Filename rules but I Can not get it as the first two. Is there a way to do it?

Ignore the Folder and File names for now.  Correct the tags within the Files.  Set Artist, Album, Track # to start with on each track.  You can edit inline in a Files pane, or use the Tag section of the Action Window.  Be sure to write out the tags to the file using Library Tools->Update tags (from Library).  Right-click on the tracks to get a context menu.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Laz Baz

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 04:27:30 pm »

Ignore the Folder and File names for now.  Correct the tags within the Files.  Set Artist, Album, Track # to start with on each track.  You can edit inline in a Files pane, or use the Tag section of the Action Window.  Be sure to write out the tags to the file using Library Tools->Update tags (from Library).  Right-click on the tracks to get a context menu.
I will have to try it tomorrow morning-its 22:30 now. Does it mean I will have to edit all the tracks- I have about 150 CDs. Just a thought.
Thank you.

Willian

MrC

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 05:45:01 pm »

It is possible the tagging might be automated, depending upon the file names and the existing tag data.  Perhaps you can share some typical examples of you a) folder / file names of the tracks, existing tags such as Artist, Album, Track #, and Name.

the_vest

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 12:59:20 pm »

Hi there,
            i have been looking for alternatives for itunes for ages and stumbled upon MJ 14 - which is by far and away the best music file player I have worked with, until I attempted to use the program to put mp3 tunes on my ipod and it wouldnt let me (a few files at a time are ok but not a whole collection).  The pop up invited me to purchase an encoder, which I am happy to do as I want to support the software.  Trouble is I cant figure out how to do this, the pop does not take you thru to a purchase option and it is not clear from the JRiver website how to purchase a fully functional MJ 14.  Can anyone help me with:
1) Does the MJ software that you purchase allow you to put many files on an ipod (i.e. a valid, functioning mp3 encoder is installed)
2) Does the MJ S allow you to rip audio cds to mp3
3) Is the purchase one off or a licence
4) What is the web address to get this sorted?
5) Any T&Cs to using paid for MJ14?

Thanks alot
Biff

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 09:05:13 pm »

I Don't Have An IPOD, And Don't Us MJ Really (I Use JRiver Media Center.  It Includes The Encoder)

I Think IPOD Support Is Limited Or Non Existent, Due To The Way Apple Allows For 3rd Party Applications.

About The Encoder.

Select "Options"
Then Select "Encoding"
Then Select "MP3 Encoder"

MJ Will Show You A Window That Will Take You To The Buy Encoder Page.

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Pogle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 12:16:12 pm »

I use both. :)
Only for music. I went through several paid upgrades so I don't feel guilty but stuck at MC11. Can't remember why I installed MJ14 but it does feel quicker than my old version of MC. Most recently I've appreciated the ability to sync with a handheld using smartlists in MC. The handheld didn't have capacity for my entire PC collection so I just create a smartlist to filter and tag the songs I want to sync and MC syncs just that list. Just one example.

I do love the power of MC but I think you need to do more to demonstrate it on your website. Perhaps a table of feature comparisons with MJ. Maybe even an old hand like me will see a reason to upgrade.

djStu

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 10:27:09 pm »

I recently "downgraded" from J River Media Center to the Media Jukebox. I love this Jukebox. Using Media Center felt overwhelming.

I am willing to pay for your free Media Jukebox. How can I contribute to the cause? Do you accept donations.?

Thanks.

PS can Spotify be run from within the Medias Jukebox or Center?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 02:25:16 am »

You could always buy MC to contribute to the cause and continue to use MJ  ;D. Then in case you do want to switch you have a license waiting for you.

Spotify I'm afraid is not supported. This is a much wanted feature but the Spotify folk haven't been cooperative.

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 02:18:17 pm »

Hi!  I have been using Media Jukebox 14 for about a year now I guess.  I am getting into more of a audio freak-nerd mode and I think I should upgrade to Media Center 18 for better sound quality in playback of some of the higher bit rates and all that good stuff.   ;D   

I am not very computer literate other than being able to organize my music files with the best of the OCD' freaks out there that have all their music files tagged to perfection.....So I was wondering, after I download MC18, will it just replace MJ14?   or will it create another program called MC18 that I have to transfer all my music files to?

and if so what should I know, so I wont screw up any of my files.   ?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken!  If it's broken and you can't fix it, shoot it!

MrC

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 05:48:50 pm »

Installing MC18 will install a new software version, leaving MJ14 untouched.  You can then import your MJ14 library, which should grab as many of your settings, playlists, and references to the external files as possible.

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 03:28:34 pm »

My biggest problems with the newer versions of MC (I'm running MJ8) are the lack of simplicity to set it up not to play certain playlists. For example, I don't want to play Christmas music except from Thanksgiving throught the 12th night. MJ8 mkes it very simple to NOT PLAY tat smartlist while playing other genres such as Torch songs or Big Band.
I have purchased the Linux MC19, but the jukebox isn't set up as well as I'd like for it to be.

Thanks for the opportunity to explain why I have not upgraded.

tlcmd

MrC

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 03:33:16 pm »

Good feedback.

In MC, you can configure smartlists to avoid certain genres during certain periods.  This uses its Custom Search rules.  Ask in a new MC19 thread if you want help.

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 08:34:07 pm »

I've used MJ14 for my music collection for several years and love it. One of the main reasons is the system volume control, that gives global volume adjustments on USB speaker systems. I only use USB speakers, and with MJ14 I only have 1 volume control to adjust, much more convenient and better quality.

The only thing that bothers me is the 5 star rating system. Wish it had half star ratings for more precise ratings. This is the only advantage other players have over it right now.

I tried out musicbee and liked the interface and half star rating system, but it lacks the system volume option, as most other do. So I use it, but just to have a more precise rating system. I don't play through it, I'm keeping it in the back ground for the day MJ gets half star ratings then I can delete musicbee, unless they get system volume option.

Does MC have half star rating capability?

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 11:08:06 pm »

Better yet, make it a 10 star rating. Would take up more room, but you could always slide the divider to only show as many as you need to use. Bottom line is 5 is not enough for precision ratings.

I use this system:

0 star = awful or very bad
1 star = bad, or not even decent.
2 star = it's ok/decent but wouldn't listen
3 star = good
4 star = very good/great
5 star = awesome/amazing

Their are grey areas in between those numbers I would like to mark with half stars.

If other players can do half stars so can MJ/MC, please consider adding it.

Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 07:56:35 am »

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 12:23:50 pm »

OH thanks! Such good news, just hope MJ gets it too, if not I'll upgrade.

Will N. Dowd

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 02:44:35 pm »

Looks like it's only an upgrade for MC20, and it's a 10 star system, which I now realize is not compatible with android players that all use 5 stars. I use and love MJ14, it is enough for my needs, just wish it had half star options like musicbee, then it would be perfect. Also wish the star symbols in MJ14 were bigger like those in musicbee. But musicbee doesn't have a system volume option, and you can't even disable the volume control, so I guess no perfect player exists for my needs. Anyone else here interested in making a group contribution to getting half star ratings and bigger star symbols into MJ14?
Pages: [1]   Go Up