INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving music files to new PC  (Read 3506 times)

yellowp38

• Recent member
Moving music files to new PC
« on: May 03, 2011, 12:32:34 pm »

I need to migrate my music to a new PC and it will most likely wind up on a different drive letter- from K\: to F\: or some other dirve.

Assuming I move both the music files and the latest library backup to the new PC how can I get Media Center find these files and restore the tags?

I was thinking I would have to import all the files again and restore the latest library backup to do the job.  Is this correct or is there a better way?

Also how do I register my copy on the new PC.  I have a current retistration key.

Richard

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Moving music files to new PC
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 12:44:23 pm »

yellowp38

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:44:57 pm »

Jim,
That's not what I need.  I think I could have asked the question in a better way so let me try again.

I am getting a new Win 7 PC and I want to migrate my music from the old one using a Windows 7 Easy Transfer Cable.

From what I have read I should be able to move my music files directly from a drive on the old XP PC to the new location in the new computer.

I don't think Media Center can do this. 

What I want to do next is to install Media Center in the new PC, register it and then show it where the music is located.  I guess I will have to re import all the music to an empty Media Center on the new PC.

Next I need to ensure  that all the tags are present so the artist/album information, playlists, etc will be intact.  Will restoring the library backup from the old PC do this?

Is there a better way to get that information transferred to the new PC?

I believe a lot of people will be having this problem as old computers are replaced.

Richard

timbuk2

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 08:05:24 pm »

Nobody ever answered that question for me either back in 2009.  I now need to move my MJ 12 and music to a windows 7 computer.  I'm thinking if I just move my music files, backup MJ, install MJ 12 on another machine and run auto update.  Hoping it works.  Not sure why nobody seems to want to discuss. this.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:34:49 pm »

There is an article called "Moving Files" on our wiki.

Thurinus

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 08:56:19 am »

I've now spent many many hours trying to get this to work. Have read the not that clear / helpful "Moving Files" many times.  Can anyone say what they did to make this work?  I'm using a removable hard drive to serve as the intermediary between the two computers.

The computers are hooked together on the same router and can "see" each other, but can't go into the others file system using the MC explorer in devices.
Pages: [1]   Go Up