INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Desktop into my server stops music playback  (Read 3015 times)

Kremlar

• Recent member
Remote Desktop into my server stops music playback
« on: May 18, 2011, 01:25:42 pm »

I have a server running JRiver that I used to play music throughout my house.  The output comes from a M-Audio Delta 1010LT sound card.

If I need to do something to my server, even if not related to JRiver, music playback stops no matter what I tell Remote Desktop to do with audio during the connection.  Once it stops I need to physically get in front of the server, login, close and re-open JRiver.

Anyone know of any way around this?  If not, what are others using to remote control machines running JRiver?

Thanks in advance!

Kremlar

• Recent member
Re: Remote Desktop into my server stops music playback
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:42:28 pm »

Anyone?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 02:02:01 pm »

That's really more of a question about Remote Desktop than about MC, but have you tried changing the Audio settings for the device?  Switching to Direct Sound or WAVE Out might work.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:02:08 pm »

You can use a VNC connection instead of remote desktop if you are having trouble.

VNC will allow a connection to the existing desktop login.  Try UltraVNC.

That said, I use Remote Desktop from my Mac to my Win 7 x64 machine and audio playback is not interrupted.  Using WASAPI event style.

[ edited ]
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 04:26:08 pm »

So have you tried directing it to the "this computer" the sound doesn't come out of the remote PC but stops completly? I have done this before but I have always directed the Audio to "this computer" not "leave at remote" and not had a problem with Windows XP Pro and Vista. I also do it with SpashTop to my iPad and never had a problem. I have never had to restart MC with either. I have never tried to leave it at the remote to see what happens.

Ataylor

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 04:37:00 pm »

I have repeatedly had this problem and I use WASAPI Event Style in MC16 (same problem in 15) going from Win 7 notebook to Win 7 server.   My resolution was to get Bitremote so I could control music from Web page or my IPod via wifi browswer.  Great sollution.

Web console for MC 16 is really inadequate in my opinion and doesn't fit well on small devices like phones and ipods where the Bitremote works well and for $10 was a no brainer.  Still doesn't do everything I want but best thing I've found so far to remote control music on my J River.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 12:37:46 am »

Try setting the remote desktop client settings to leave audio at the remote machine...

Options -> Local Resources -> Play on remote computer

rods

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 10:22:33 am »

Hi
had the media 16 program for a couple of weeks and have found the same problem as OP(kremlar).
The remote desktop change suggested in the previous post by confishy did  not work for me.
Has the OP found a solution because if you have would appreciate the answer
By the way I have used 2x to log in remotely and have to physically log back on the computer before
sound returns... If I just use gizmo to log on there is no problem. As soon as I log on using
2x sound goes..

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 04:58:58 am »

You have to remember what account you have signed in to (to start MC). If you've been to the physical console on the computer, you might have to use /console when connecting with RDP. The best thing you can do is to start MC in the remote session that you normally log in to. Be it a normal user or administrator. As other mentioned, it's important that the RDP settings is set to play the music where it's supposed to play. If a client is connecting to the server, it should not matter much where it's played I think. Because the output should go to the client anyway. But if the server outputs the music, then you have to set the correct options.

If you have to use the Console admin to start MC, then you can use the following command to connect to console.
"mstsc /v:machineName /console"

This does however, have no affect on Win7, 2008 Servers and above I think.

If none of this work, I think I'm out of ideas at this point.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Kremlar

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 02:57:27 pm »

It's not a configuration issue.  If you configure the server to allow audio redirection, you can bring audio to the remote PC but the "leave at host computer" option does not work.

I had forgotten that I had started a discussion on this issue quite a while back on a Microsoft forum, and someone confirmed that with 2008 R2 anyway this function does not work - you can either disable audio when connecting to the console, or bring it to the remote, which does not work for me.

I'd prefer not to use VNC at the moment since I use RDP to all my other servers.

For the moment I've enabled multiple sessions per user on the server so that I can at least login to the server without disrupting audio playback, but I can't control the console.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up