INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC16 not streaming HD audio after update [Solved]  (Read 1756 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
MC16 not streaming HD audio after update [Solved]
« on: May 25, 2011, 03:17:11 pm »

... not that I absolutely know for sure that an update has changed my audio output (... leastwise, I cannot find the difference in settings ...), but I do know that I did not make any changes, and all I've ever done with respect to MC16 (... once I got it bitstreaming audio out HDMI properly ...), is update MC16.

In any case, at one time I had my HTPC's DVD player properly bitstreaming audio out HDMI (... direct to my AVR, which streams the video to my TV via HDMI).  I knew it was working, after installing MC16 on top of a new Win7 install, because the AVR would post DD (Dolby Digital 5.1) or DTS when I asked for the decoded audio info.  Now it only displays 2ch PCM.

The settings for "Audio Output" are WASAPI which is configured for "Intel HD Audio (HDMI)".  What happened? ... and what other settings can I examine??  (...I don't see 'Playback' any more(?)...)

MC16 v16.0.87

TIA  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC16 not streaming HD audio after update
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 03:36:58 pm »

Try setting the playback device under Options->Video. Then set to bitstream.

shAf

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 05:20:33 pm »

Try setting the playback device under Options->Video. Then set to bitstream.

Thanx for a prompt reply!!  :-*

Those settings make sense.  It had been set to "same as for audio" (which probably should have worked), but I changed it to "Intel HD Audio (HDMI)" and the other setting to "Bitstream" -- however, it made no difference ... WAAAAHHHH!!!   ?

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 05:23:34 pm »

Under video in tools/options, select "Default windows audio device" and keep the bitstream setting.  Does it work now?

shAf

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 04:19:29 pm »

Under video in tools/options, select "Default windows audio device" and keep the bitstream setting.  Does it work now?

Hmmm(?) ...  selecting a default instead of a specific device did not make sense ... and did not work either ... but thanx for your interest   ;D

Not that I'm ungrateful, but why isn't J River interested in such a basic problem?  All I need is the audio bitstreamed properly, which means JR is required to do nothing other than pass on the audio to the appropriate device.  It worked at one time, why not now??

I'll try build 97 and Red October ... but that doesn't make sense either -- and I need is JR not to step on the audio ...

TIA  :)

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 06:20:40 am »

Something must be decoding the audio from Dolby/DTS into PCM otherwise you would only get White noise from the speakers.  Have you updated any filters (eg ffdshow or LAV Audio?).  I don't think MC downloaded these automatically prior to Red October. Check the bitstream/decode options in these filters of you can to make sure. A post of the filter graph would be useful to see which part of the chain is doing the decoding.

Since RO (in .97) downloads a new version of ffdshow (I believe), this may solve the problem. But again may need a tweak.

There is definitely a polarisation between those that do or don't bitstream for various reasons. I think it's a bit like the marmite ad - you either love it or hate it. I'm in the 'do' camp, but my only reason for that is that I want to get my Amp to light up and justify the fact that it was bloody expensive!
I like to think that the amp can do a better job of doing the decode than the PC although those in the know tell me that there's absolutely no grounding for it!

SBR

shAf

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 02:49:33 pm »

Something must be decoding the audio from Dolby/DTS into PCM otherwise you would only get White noise from the speakers.  Have you updated any filters (eg ffdshow or LAV Audio?).  I don't think MC downloaded these automatically prior to Red October. ...
It's all a bit over my head -- all I know it that I could never get it to work with my old install under XP -- however, it worked out of the gate after installing build 42 after upgrading to Win7 (64bit).  I did nothing else except to point audio at the HDMI device instead of SPDIF.

To decode to PCM, or not, is a moot point now (even if I shouldn't have to justify why) -- i.e., with build 97 it's working again!! (... and without Red October ... which IMHO should not be the default ...)   

I'm a grinnin' puppy again!!!   ;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 02:53:51 pm »

Glad it is working for you.

The whole idea of Red October is for it to be on by default.  It isn't done yet, but the idea is this:

Some of the next stages are:
1. make it bulletproof for all video files you can throw at it
2. make it customizable for tweakers who want to use certain "known good" filters in the video graph
3. make the final decision on the base filters to use in the filter pack (this is where we choose ffdshow vs. LAV audio for example)

The goal is to not have people come here with brand new Windows installs and ask "Why isn't my INSERT_VIDEO_FORMAT_HERE file working?  It works in VLC!" when the answer is that they need proper DirectShow filters installed to decode and render video playback.

If it was turned off by default, it wouldn't solve anything for novice users.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC16 not streaming HD audio after update [Solved]
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 05:00:46 pm »

Please see this thread for a description of the current status.
Pages: [1]   Go Up