INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot play ANY video with latest build  (Read 3195 times)

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
Cannot play ANY video with latest build
« on: May 27, 2011, 12:14:18 am »

I just upgraded to the newest MC16 build, uninstalled MC15, and now MC16 will not play ANY video files. it says "make sure the file is in the right location". i get this after i right click on the file in explorer and hit play with media center, and also when the file is in MC16. The main file type I use is m4v

Whats up with this?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Cannot play ANY video with latest build
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 12:19:42 am »

There have been some big video playback changes in the latest build, especially if you have come from V15.  Try:
1) Ensure the Tools-->Options-->Video-->RedOctober is checked
2) An earlier public build from here first as see how your video files play.  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=64019.0
JRiver CEO Elect

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 12:38:14 am »

Well, from my point of view, these are NOT the kind of changes I want to see, even more so, pay for. Paying for an upgrade to disallow me to play any and all videos is not a good way to go.

Its RO is checked, no video, its unchecked, and still no video.

Sauzee

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 01:45:16 am »

I just upgraded to the newest MC16 build, uninstalled MC15, and now MC16 will not play ANY video files. it says "make sure the file is in the right location". i get this after i right click on the file in explorer and hit play with media center, and also when the file is in MC16. The main file type I use is m4v

Whats up with this?

i'm getting this as well, except only with all mkv files and the off avi file. My post
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=64313.0

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 02:38:21 am »

That is unfortunate. I wonder if MC16 was not able to download the additional components that are needed for the new Red October system. Could your Firewall prevent that? It is also possible that your video playback settings specify filters that are not allowed in the new system. When Red October is disabled the build 16.0.97 uses a white list system and allows only approved filters.

My M4V and MP4 video files seem to play fine when Red October is enabled. I have problems with certain MKV and MPG files.

Is this your first MC16 build? One thing that probably no one in the beta team did try is upgrading from MC15 to the new build. The video filter handling has changed radically in the latest public build and I wonder if some restored MC15 settings can cause problems in some cases. MC16 restores the settings from MC15 automatically when it restores the previous default library. I have to try upgrading from MC15 before I can say anything more.

As a workaround, you could install the build from the official download address: http://www.jriver.com/download.html. Currently the build there is 87. It does not contain the recent video playback changes. It should work, but if the settings are still not correct you can restore an MC15 or MC16 library backup file that precedes the build 97 (have the "restore settings" option checked in the confirmation window before you let it run).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 06:32:06 am »

I just upgraded to the newest MC16 build, uninstalled MC15, and now MC16 will not play ANY video files. it says "make sure the file is in the right location".

I don't know if this is related to Red October.  I've never seen that particular error message before, but it sounds like it might be database related, or something else.

Can you try build 16.0.81 and see if your videos work then?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 06:50:47 am »

Try setting the Audio and Video settings again.  Especially device related.  Get audio working before moving to video.

Try playing from within MC.

Reboot and install again.

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 01:49:43 pm »

Music and pics play fine. Just absolutely no video will play at all.

I installed build.87 and instead of getting a critical error, it now just hangs on "opening".

Seriously, I'm very close to deleting and requesting my money back. Did some new team come in or something in MC16 because this is not the MC I was accustomed to.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 01:57:40 pm »

They're trying something new, and it isn't quite finished yet.

Can you try build 16.0.81 and see if your videos work then?

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 01:59:00 pm »

Same here. I updated from 86 and now I cannot play any DVDs. Audio is fine. I can play mkv's with audio. But when I try to play DVD's I get:

It appear that your system is not correctly configured for DVD playback...bla,bla

BUT the worst thing is that MC has messed up VLC-playback as well. And yes, this worked before 97. Please fix !!

Music and pics play fine. Just absolutely no video will play at all.

I installed build.87 and instead of getting a critical error, it now just hangs on "opening".

Seriously, I'm very close to deleting and requesting my money back. Did some new team come in or something in MC16 because this is not the MC I was accustomed to.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 02:00:58 pm »

BUT the worst thing is that MC has messed up VLC-playback as well. And yes, this worked before 97. Please fix !!

This doesn't make any sense.

MC and VLC have nothing to do with one another.  They don't even use the same system to play files back at all.  VLC still works fine on all of my systems.

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 02:23:38 pm »

Well, I'm on an old XP (nonMC) platform, and I suspect that MC has overwritten some mpg2 decoder or something, and thereby caused VLC to have problems as well.

Any ideas on how to fix this ?

This doesn't make any sense.

MC and VLC have nothing to do with one another.  They don't even use the same system to play files back at all.  VLC still works fine on all of my systems.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 02:30:58 pm »

Well, I'm on an old XP (nonMC) platform, and I suspect that MC has overwritten some mpg2 decoder or something, and thereby caused VLC to have problems as well.

Any ideas on how to fix this ?

VLC doesn't use external decoding filters, so this isn't possible/likely unless something is REALLY wrong on that system.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 03:01:14 pm »

To be absolutely clear:  Build 97 works fine for the vast majority of media types for me, and for many other people.  It is experimental.  That's why it isn't set as the "stable" build on the public site.  If you're not willing to live with a few problems here and there, don't upgrade to the "latest" build, and stay with the stable ones on the regular download site.

In my opinion, Red October probably should have been kept in beta for longer, but that's not always so easy.  The problem is that most of the beta users are pretty sophisticated and have pretty sophisticated setups.  It is hard to solve problems that may come up with more general user's configurations unless you can see how it reacts "in the wild".  We have literally a HUGE thread on the beta board where it went from basically not working for hardly anyone (in the early builds), to working for most common media types for just about everyone with build 97.

They'll fix it, but they can't fix it until we see what is broken.

sunfire7

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 03:25:30 pm »

I have the exact same problem.  I played with all the settings and no combo is working, it used to work good in past builds.  Hope getting a fix in coming builds.
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 03:31:36 pm »

I have the exact same problem.  I played with all the settings and no combo is working, it used to work good in past builds.  Hope getting a fix in coming builds.

Just to help diagnose what is broken, can you describe in more detail what errors you are getting?  There are actually two different errors explicitly referred to in this thread.  The original poster was getting something like "make sure the file is in the right location" (which I've never seen), but Sauzee is getting "Direct show unspecified error- Code 0x80004005" (which I HAVE seen many times).

A post like Sauzee did in the other linked thread with additional detail would be very helpful if you have the means.

It would also be nice to know some system details:

1. Windows Version
2. Any Installed Filters (this shouldn't matter in RO mode, but that isn't quite true yet, especially for DVD playback and subtitles)
3. GPU type and driver version
4. CPU details
5. Are files local or network?
6. Are you using Bitstreaming or PCM output?
7. Are you on a Library Server Client or not?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 03:32:30 pm »

Under Startup options/Update Channels, choose "Latest".  Then do a check for updates.  Build 99 is out and it may fix this problem.  

If it does not, try choosing the option for Red October under Options/Video.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 03:35:44 pm »

Build 99 is out and it may fix this problem.  

Thanks, Jim.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 04:58:32 pm »

Please see this thread for a description of the current status.
Pages: [1]   Go Up