INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server Client - How often is it updated by the Library Server?  (Read 2139 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

When I make a change on the Library Server (eg Import or Auto Import a file) how long does it take for the Library Server Clients to "see" this change, OR do I have to "reload the library"?  If I need to reload the library, what is the best MCC for that?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

+1

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team

It seems to happen reasonably quickly IF the client is online at the time. 

What I have found though is that if the client is in sleep, when it comes out of sleep it can take quite a while for the update to come through...

I especially notice this because my server EPG data updates at 4am and at that time the LS clients are in sleep mode.

So an MCC command that syncs with the library server SILENTLY (ie doesn't prompt to update) would be very useful as then I could run this every time a cleint comes out of sleep.

Of course if the LS clients could automatically do an update when coming out of sleep, that would be good too :)

R

raym

• MC Beta Team

What I have found though is that if the client is in sleep, when it comes out of sleep it can take quite a while for the update to come through...

I re-start the MC client when the PC resumes from sleep. This forces a refresh of the library. I do this via a resident vb script but if you're running Win 7, I believe it's also possible to trigger jobs based on Windows events via Task Scheduler (in this case, an MCC restart call on a resume from sleep event). 

Otherwise, I find the clients receive latest updates pretty fast. I've never timed it but I'd say within a minute.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

glynor

• MC Beta Team

When I make a change on the Library Server (eg Import or Auto Import a file) how long does it take for the Library Server Clients to "see" this change, OR do I have to "reload the library"?  If I need to reload the library, what is the best MCC for that?

I'd like to know the answer to this too.

Every so often I get annoyed waiting for new files to show up in the client, when I can see them plainly via VNC on the server.  A quick "refresh now" command in the UI would be helpful, but a MCC command would do if that is all that's available.  Closing and restarting the client is annoying, especially with the new auto-updater system active (nothing makes the wife less impressed than waiting for an install to finish).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

+1

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

A client that is configured to sync changes with the server will sync every two minutes.

This means that a change on the server should reach a client within two minutes.

Changes from other clients first go to the server, then to other clients, so there's a worst-case time of four minutes.

Only changes are transmitted, so a sync is lightweight during periods of inactivity.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Thanks, Matt.  This "feels" about right from what I've been seeing...  It is just that waiting 2-3 minutes to start a show, when you KNOW it is there already and you already waited 2-3 minutes for the AutoImporter to see the file and import it, is a bit frustrating.

Does the "Sync Library" command we already have in the "Library Manager" section under Playing Now essentially serve the same function?  Is there a MCC command for this?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Does the "Sync Library" command we already have in the "Library Manager" section under Playing Now essentially serve the same function?  Is there a MCC command for this?

Clicking "Sync Changes with Library Server" will do a synch with the server immediately, and report the result.

This is the same sync as is done silently every couple minutes in a background thread.

The MCC is:
MCC_SYNC_WITH_LIBRARY_SERVER (20032)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Perfect.  Thanks.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team

Thanks for the infomation Matt,
 A couple of questions;

1) Does TV EPG data get sync'd the same way? The reason I ask is often I find my EPG data on my LS clients is blank after a period of time.

2) Should the sync start automatically when a LS client comes out of sleep?  And should all updates since the last sync get picked up?  I'm finding that when my client comes out of sleep even 15 minutes later TV recordings on the server haven't sync'd to the client. So what I normally do is close MC and reopen it, but would prefer that I don't have to do that on each client when they come out of sleep.

I would use the MCC_SYNC_WITH_LIBRARY_SERVER (20032) command in my script that gets triggered when the PC comes out of sleep, but it displays a user prompt which I don't want to have happen, as visitors/kids don't know what to click when they get it.

So.....  a request;

I know I've asked this before, but could we please have a SILENT switch on the MCC_SYNC_WITH_LIBRARY_SERVER (20032) command so it can be triggered in the background?

Thanks
Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up