INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Losing connection-unidentified network  (Read 3583 times)

13ege

• Recent member
Losing connection-unidentified network
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:19:12 pm »

Hello everybody,

I have a weird problem. ? When I launch mc16, after a while i lose my internet connection, and after i try to diagnose it, it turns to unidentified network. I think it may be crashing with either firefox 4 or ie8 but it still crashed while ie was closed. Another possibility is microsoft security essentials but I add mc16 to exceptions list. I always have to restart my modem after this happens. I will be grateful if someone can help because i use mc16 to control my perfectwave dac, and without mc16 it's really hard to change between ipad and pc to select which song to be played. If i can remember correctly i am using linksys wag320 and win7 x64. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Losing connection-unidentified network
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 08:00:26 am »

Strange problem.  You might find a hint in the "Weird Problems" thread in my signature.

My guess is the network interface going bad.  Try updating the driver.

Does rebooting the modem without changing anything in Windows have any effect?

13ege

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 10:00:24 am »

I looked at that weird part but couldn't find anything like this. There are similar problems but not this one. I just formatted my pc so all drivers are new. Once network connection lost, I have to reboot my modem. I don't change anything in Windows, I don't even have to restart windows.. Also, other devices such as iPad and laptops still works only my pc losts connection. I really don't have an idea what causes that but it's very important for me to fix it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 10:17:16 am »

If rebooting the modem fixes the problem, then try updating the modem's firmware.

13ege

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 10:40:42 am »

It's also the latest.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 11:25:39 am »

So some hardware element is not working.  Start substituting parts if you can.

I know you may think it's MC, but it would be a waste of your time and mine to pursue that.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 11:26:15 am »

I looked at that weird part but couldn't find anything like this. There are similar problems but not this one. I just formatted my pc so all drivers are new. Once network connection lost, I have to reboot my modem.

Then it is probably one or more of:

A. A bad network cable between the modem and the router (assuming you have a router, or the modem and the computer).

B. A bad connection to the cable/DSL line (flaky cabling or a bad splitter in the way).

C. Something flaking out on your router.  It could actually be some sort of "intrusion prevention system" in your router freaking out over the incoming network connections, and then blocking the "dangerous" server (your PC) from accessing the Internet.  If your modem also serves as your router, then it would all be in that box.  Until I got it properly configured to allow MC's traffic and ignore it as far as the intrusion prevention system, my firewall would often "trigger" on MC's WebRemote, WebPlay, and remote Library Server connections.

D. A broken modem.

Just because using MC causes the problem to manifest, doesn't mean that MC is actually causing the problem.  Using MC's networking system could be exposing a weakness in the system and causing it to fail.  If you don't have to reboot Windows or even touch anything on Windows to get the problem to go away, then it is almost certainly a hardware problem, not anything in software on the PC at all.  This isn't ABSOLUTELY true, as rebooting the modem could give you a new IP address, and so that could change things in software, but I doubt it.  I'd start with that list and go from there.

I'd certainly replace the network cable between your modem and router and the router and your PC (again, if your modem is your router, then just the one between it and the PC).  That's a fairly likely candidate.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

13ege

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 12:41:21 pm »

I think the most possible option is c. How can I get MC out of such intrusion prevention systems? I am still using the same cables that worked perfectly, so they can't be the problem. I had to change my router recently but I just tried with the old one and it's the same. Also, just replaced my mainboard with a new b3 revision so it cannot be the ethernet controller either, I had this issue with the previous one too. And yes, I'm using wag320 for both modem and router. Plus, please don't get me the wrong way, I'm not blaming MC  :) I'm just looking for some help and advise. Most possible thing is something locks the connection. I believe it's a software issue. Can't find out what is causing it. Still trying...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 01:33:06 pm »

Have you tried if just unplugging the network cable for a minute or so and connecting it again can fix the problem as well? (I.e. reset just the LAN connection, not the modem device.)

If you never see the problem when you use other network applications it is also possible that some device that is used only by MC causes this problem in the PC hardware or software. For example, maybe a bad USB device, optical drive, or other device or driver can cause a network adapter problem. A few years ago IRQ conflicts were a common problem. The IRQ issues are now history, but perhaps something similar can happen with certain driver & hardware combinations.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

13ege

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 02:26:01 pm »

Unplugging doesn't work, I have to reboot modem everytime. I disabled Windows Firewall and IE8 and it didn't work. Every single time I start MC16 I loss my internet connection after 2-3 minutes but MC can still control Perfectwave Dac and change the songs and control volume etc... If I restart pc or unplug ethernet cable, I get an unidentified network. I don't believe there is an hardware issue because TwonkyServer works fine when I use it with Ps Audio's Tag'n Play app.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 04:11:55 pm »

Unplugging doesn't work, I have to reboot modem everytime. I disabled Windows Firewall and IE8 and it didn't work. Every single time I start MC16 I loss my internet connection after 2-3 minutes but MC can still control Perfectwave Dac and change the songs and control volume etc... If I restart pc or unplug ethernet cable, I get an unidentified network. I don't believe there is an hardware issue because TwonkyServer works fine when I use it with Ps Audio's Tag'n Play app.
Did you try your ISP's support?  I would try swapping the modem if they are willing to do it.

Please take another look at the "Weird Problems" thread.  Search for "network" and read the threads.  There are three pages.

maid

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 05:31:13 pm »

Are you using ANY other programs, as I have a similar problem with another program. I have to repair the connection or switch off the modem too.

sometimes the program will run for hours but other times just one hour.
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

steveadair

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 12:23:12 pm »

I have exactly the same problem. This seems to be caused by switching on the media network and obtaining a key to allow Gizmo to control MC. I have to reset my (Billion 7800N) router in order for the PC to re-gain Internet access. All other PCs, phones, squeezeboxes in the house using the WIFI continue to have full Internet access. It's only the WIndows 7 machine running MC that is affected.

Apart from the internet connection breaking, I also seem to get problems where the PC seems to hansg for a few seconds (e.g. wathcing a movie will freeve for a few seconds or play as if in slow motion (i.e. something seesm to be hogging the machine (although nothing evident in the Task Manager).

If I reboot PC and run without MC everything is fine.

As suggested I think something wierd is happening om the router. Would using a different port than the default 52199 possible help?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 12:34:02 pm »

What version of MC are you using?  16.0.168 is at the top of the MC16 board.  It has a workaround for a problem we think is not ours.
Pages: [1]   Go Up