INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC16 on a computer that is not connected to the internet?  (Read 3543 times)

Martin166

• Recent member
MC16 on a computer that is not connected to the internet?
« on: June 23, 2011, 05:41:10 am »

Is there a possibility to install MC16 on a computer that is not connected to the internet?
After having tried so, I got error messages: MC failed to download this and that.

How can I install manually the additional software (like e.g. fav filters) MC16 needs?

The PC is a studio machine and there is no internet connection.

Thanks for your answers. :)
Best,
Martin

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MC16 on a computer that is not connected to the internet?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 04:36:19 am »

The downloaded codec and filter components are in "appdata". For example, on my XP computer they are in  C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 16\Plugins

You could copy them from some other PC that can access Internet and has MC16 installed.

For installing your MC16 license you can use a downloaded key file (it is valid for 14 days), more info: http://www.jriver.com/purchase.html
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Martin166

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 12:08:11 pm »

The downloaded codec and filter components are in "appdata". For example, on my XP computer they are in  C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 16\Plugins

You could copy them from some other PC that can access Internet and has MC16 installed.

I did exactly what you proposed. (In that plugins folder of my internet machine there were four folders called dvd_video_decoder, ffdshow, lav, madvr). My computers also are Win XP.

But nevertheless there is still that difference to the internet machine after copying:
If Red October Standard is set at the non-internet machine there is an error message when trying to playback a dvd.
And the following error message occurs when trying to playback a mp4- or avi- or flv-file:
"Error details: DirectShow: Failed to download and install the 'LAV Splitter' filter. Check your network connection and permissions."

So copying those folders and files to C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 16\Plugins did not work at all! >:(
Is there really no other way??? ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 04:39:52 pm »

Sorry, but Red October requires the Internet at least once.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

r_harms

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 10:23:07 am »

I'm in the same boat, hoping to get Red October working without a 'permenant' internet connection.

I can set up the computer for a temporary connection, I'm wondering if you could provide a clue what steps would be needed while the computer is live. Should I turn RO on and then import my video drive to give it a good sample of my collection?

Any help along these lines would be great, I love RO on my laptop, but my main media and studio system must stay off line...

Thanks!

Rick

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 12:49:40 pm »

I'm in the same boat, hoping to get Red October working without a 'permenant' internet connection.

I can set up the computer for a temporary connection, I'm wondering if you could provide a clue what steps would be needed while the computer is live. Should I turn RO on and then import my video drive to give it a good sample of my collection?

Just play a few videos and a DVD with Red October enabled.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

r_harms

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 05:23:57 pm »

Thanks Matt,

That worked great. I only had to have my baby online for a few minutes. It took longer to make a boot backup image and unplug all my drives.

I love Red October, and I hope you guys will keep in mind some of us (I don't know why our ranks aren't growing) that want our media systems off-line. Maybe an option for offline and a list of filters to keep in a certain folder...

Keep up the great work and thanks for the help!

Rick

Martin166

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 04:16:14 am »

...I hope you guys will keep in mind some of us (I don't know why our ranks aren't growing) that want our media systems off-line. Maybe an option for offline and a list of filters to keep in a certain folder...

Yes!
I have several friends who have audio-studios with OFFLINE studio computers. I showed them the possibility to watch videos (especially concert videos or music video clips) with studio sound (ASIO and VST-support). And for me (and also for my friends) ONLY the audio thing is the reason to get MC16. (Because I have all video features with satisfying or even very good quality with that simple VLC player)

They all were delighted and wanted to have MC16 on their machines. But I had to tell them that install without internet doesn´t work nice. In the audio studio business having to be online simply is no option.
I know they would buy MC16 if it would install offline with all features.

So it is really a pity that Red October has to be online for install!!!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 03:45:13 pm »

I forgot to mention this earlier, but the portable install should work fine. Create a portable installation on a machine that can access Internet and has registered MC16 installed. Play some files with the portable MC to download the needed components before moving the drive to your "studio machine".

You can access the portable install option by selecting the "custom" mode in the regular installer.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

fmak

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 06:59:31 am »

Sorry, but Red October requires the Internet at least once.

I want MC16 (or MC15) for audio only, no video doesn't matter.

Can I:

1. buy on a machine with web and install on a much minimised XP machine with no internet using the purcahse key? or

2. Use the mobile option but permanently install on the machine w/o internet.

3. Go back from the latest MC16 earlier version such as MC15.

I am not concerned about funtionality except audio reply of high quality.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 07:05:29 am »

#1 will work.  Just use the Install Key in the first 14 days.  It expires after that.

The "Purchase" link above will help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up