INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quality of recording through soundcard?  (Read 1785 times)

Steve

Quality of recording through soundcard?
« on: May 29, 2002, 03:37:02 pm »

I have 400 albums to convert to digital and was wondering if the sound quality could be improved if I purchased a new sound card.  I have a year old Compaq laptop and am currently running through the microphone jack.  Also, what setting MP3 would get the best quality recording (I have 150 gig hard drive)  Thanks for any input...
Steve

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Quality of recording through soundcard?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2002, 04:33:13 pm »

If it is riped digital to a lets say an mp3 or wave it has nothing to do with the soundboard.

Encoding MP3 VBR Setting Of High.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

olyar15

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2002, 05:03:48 pm »

Are you refering to record albums?  If so, then yes, the quality of the soundcard will have a big impact on overall sound quality.  Something with a good quality Analog-to-Digital converter.  I have a M-audio Delta Audiophile 2496 soundcard, and it sounds very good.  M-Audio has a good reputation for their soundcards, and they are reasonably priced.  Of course, their are much more expensive professional soundcards out there if you have the money.

Charles

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2002, 05:14:02 pm »

The Sound Card has nothing to do with Digital riping.

Sure a sound Card With Two Tin Cans And A String Will Not Sound As Good As One That May Be 24 Bits And $30
Fayetteville, NC, USA

TURBO

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2002, 05:30:22 pm »

WHAT?!!!!. Sound card is the soul of the matter. Remember, we are dealing with (Signal to noise specs, Noise distortion etc), specially if you are going to input the signal thru the sound card and convert it to digital (wav). After is in a wav format just transcode it to mp3 (or mpc(the best)). You dont need a soo good sound card as the audiophile 2496. I recomend you the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

TURBO

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2002, 05:38:18 pm »

I forgot, the best mp3 command line is : --alt-preset standard/extreme. Enjoy!

Cotton-Eyed Loo

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2002, 05:40:41 pm »

Hiya,

A few tidbits that might be useful:
1) your hard drive is large enough to store your entire collection - easily
2) Unlike zip, mp3 and ogg (and others) are not reveresable compressions schemes. This will save you a ton of space if you are willing to give up some music data. Depending on the quality of your play back system and your hearing this could make no difference or all the difference in the world.
3) When done at it's best audio is copied from a CD similar to how a Word document would be copied - exactly copied. Not all computer CD players are capable of copying audio CDs in this way but many can come really close if you're willing to let the computer take its time about it. There is a third way to copy CDs and that is to actually convert the digitally encoded music on the CD back into analog and then have your audio card convert it back into digital. T
4)

Cotton-Eyed Loo

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2002, 05:42:24 pm »

[sorry, I think I may have it reply half way through]

Hiya,

A few tidbits that might be useful:
1) your hard drive is large enough to store your entire collection.
2) Unlike zip, mp3 and ogg (and others) are not reveresable compressions schemes. This will save you a ton of space if you are willing to give up some music data. Depending on the quality of your play back system and your hearing this could make no difference or all the difference in the world.
3) When done at it's best audio is copied from a CD similar to how a Word document would be copied - exactly copied. Not all computer CD players are capable of copying audio CDs in this way but many can come really close if you're willing to let the computer take its time about it. There is a third way to copy CDs and that is to actually convert the digitally encoded music on the CD back into analog and then have your audio card convert it back into digital.

l8s

Olyar15

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2002, 09:43:25 pm »

KingSparta, let me guess, you grew up during the '80s or later?  Sounds like you never thought about vinyl or cassettes.  You know, analog recordings.  I agree that if he is talking about ripping CDs, then the soundcard won't affect the ripping.  Of course if his albums are analog, then the soundcard has a big role, as that will determine the quality of the ADC.

Ahh, vinyl.  Those were the days.  I remember when CDs first came out.... Suddenly, I feel old now, and I'm only 32.

Charles

Steve

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2002, 04:59:05 am »

Sorry I wasn't clear, these are VINYL albums.  It sounds like if it were a CD album then - no, it does not matter -  
As it's a laptop, is it possible to replace my soundcard with a better one?

Olyar15

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2002, 01:54:25 pm »

Steve, there is usually no way of replacing a sound device on a laptop as it is usually integrated.  Another thing is that most microphone inputs are mono, not stereo.  Also, depending on how you are feeding the signal, the mic input may get overloaded by the incoming signal.  All in all, if you want to copy your vinyl albums, the best bet is to get a desktop computer with a decent soundcard and a large hard drive.

Charles

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2002, 02:12:29 pm »

Turbo,
> WHAT?!!!!. Sound card is the soul of the matter. Remember, we are dealing with (Signal to noise specs, Noise distortion etc), specially if you are going to input the signal thru the sound card and convert it to digital (wav).  

If your CD is using digital playback, KingSparta is correct that ripping does not use the sound card.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2002, 03:36:18 pm »

Olyar15

>> KingSparta, let me guess, you grew up during the '80s or later? Sounds like you never thought about .
Your Right, I Heard Of Both vinyl or cassettes I Have Not Seen Them Yet. My Mom Told Me She Was Going To Take Me To The Museum, I heard They Also Had Something Called A Reel To Reel Or Some Such Thing.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

TURBO

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2002, 03:44:34 pm »

You can add a 8 Track to the list that you will find in the museum. But dont be scared, they dont byte.

soundsabound

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2002, 07:17:24 am »

FYI,

You can get both PCMCIA and USB soundcards. Try a search on Google/Yahoo or Usenet.

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up