INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red October and audio setup  (Read 2281 times)

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
Red October and audio setup
« on: July 01, 2011, 10:35:58 pm »

First of all red october is great. 

Here is what I am trying to accomplish with my HDMI audio setup and video playback:

1) Bitstreaming for all audio with Dolby, Dolby 5.1, and DTS.
2) For videos encoded with MP3 audio I want the ffdshow audio filter or some other filter to mix the MP3 signal to 5.1 surround.

What would be the simplest way to accomplish this?  I could do it with Zoomplayer as it allows you to assign different audio formats to different filters.

The reason I want to do this is Windows doesn't change the number of channels it sends to my receiver when only 2 channels are in use.  Otherwise I would use my receiver to mix the MP3 audio signal to 5.1 surround.

All the best,

David

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Red October and audio setup
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:56:09 pm »

Easy.

Make sure your audio setup for music works correctly.

Tools -> Options -> Video -> Bitstreaming: HDMI
Tools -> Options -> Video -> Advanced -> Audio Playback device: Same as audio (this is the default setting)

Then, go to Player -> DSP Studio (or use the DSP button) -> Output format

Set Channels: 5.1 channels (or whatever configuration you have)
Set Mixing to JRSS v2.0

Then MC will mix stereo audio sources to surround for you using JRSS.  Note, though, this will mix music playback to surround too.  I like it.  Does a very nice job, without being over the top.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

maid

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 06:24:11 pm »

Glynor, you recently helped me with my Spdif setup which I was very grateful for.

Could I do the same as this set up as I have many videos with mp3 audio?
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 06:48:48 pm »

Easy.

Make sure your audio setup for music works correctly.

Tools -> Options -> Video -> Bitstreaming: HDMI
Tools -> Options -> Video -> Advanced -> Audio Playback device: Same as audio (this is the default setting)

Then, go to Player -> DSP Studio (or use the DSP button) -> Output format

Set Channels: 5.1 channels (or whatever configuration you have)
Set Mixing to JRSS v2.0

Then MC will mix stereo audio sources to surround for you using JRSS.  Note, though, this will mix music playback to surround too.  I like it.  Does a very nice job, without being over the top.

I tried what you suggested above.  The problem is that I am using WASAPI for my audio.  This is great because I am able to send a 2 channel music signal to my receiver and have the receiver process the signal.  For Video WASAPI doesn't play nice with my system.  When I fast forward the video, the audio gets all out of sync.  Any other sollutions that may work.  With zoomplayer, I assign the Dscaler filter to my bitstreaming and mix 2 channel signals (mp3) to 5.1 with ffdshow.

All the best,

David

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 07:58:34 am »

...  For Video WASAPI doesn't play nice with my system.  When I fast forward the video, the audio gets all out of sync.   

Try using a smaller buffer for WASAPI.   .10, for example.

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 10:24:03 pm »

Thanks - that did the trick!

David

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 11:50:46 pm »

One more problem.  Before the volume bar would move when I was bitstreaming now I get n/a.  I have to computer volume mapped to Girder to control the volume on my receiver.

Any way to get the volume bar moving when bitstreaming?

David

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 07:50:09 am »

In MC options, there are several choices for audio.  One may work.  Right click on the little speaker icon in the upper left to begin.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 08:43:22 am »

Any way to get the volume bar moving when bitstreaming?

No.

If it was working before, you weren't really bitstreaming.  By its very nature, bitstreaming means the receiver gets the exact bits that come out of the video file directly without modification.  Volume is a modification.

If you want to bitstream, you'll have to program Girder to control your receiver's volume via an IR blaster.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 04:07:31 pm »

No.

If it was working before, you weren't really bitstreaming.  By its very nature, bitstreaming means the receiver gets the exact bits that come out of the video file directly without modification.  Volume is a modification.

If you want to bitstream, you'll have to program Girder to control your receiver's volume via an IR blaster.

Thanks.  I can tell you that it was bitstreaming before.  The volume changes that were made in JRiver were moving the volume bar (but no changes were made to the PC volume).  I had this trigger an action in Girder to increase and decrease the volume on my receiver.

The challenge with Gizmo is that it cannot be customized.  It would be nice if even the volume controls could be modified.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up