INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio only server: purchase suggestions?  (Read 1133 times)

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Audio only server: purchase suggestions?
« on: July 14, 2011, 11:55:16 am »

I'm tossing around the idea of purchasing a PC to run MC and store my music collection, if I can find one at the right price. It's been ages since I bought a PC, so I'm not quite sure where to look. I'd like a quiet system with a small form factor, and I'm really only interested in serving audio (1TB storage would cover it). I plan on installing WinXP or Win7 on the system, so it doesn't need an OS.

Thanks for any suggestions.

wig

• MC Beta Team
Re: Audio only server: purchase suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 12:45:02 pm »

I was looking for something like this

Refurbished Acer Revo AR3700-U3002 for $269

Does anyone have one of these, or bought from Cheetahdeals before? It seems to address everything I'm looking for besides HD space, and can even handle some low quality streaming video. It seems HD space it still an issue in these small form factor pcs, but I can continue using my NAS for storage (as opposed to just backup duties).

DarkPenguin

Re: Audio only server: purchase suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:19:26 pm »

I'd get something like the Dell Zino or anything running one of the AMD procs or maybe an i3.  My netbook (an asus) does audio just fine (with an HRT Streamer async usb DAC) but if the machine has to do anything else (antivirus or whatever horrible things Matt has MC doing in the background.  What on earth is MC doing that buries my netbook like that?  Hacking sony?) your audio will suffer.

Of course my netbook is a single core atom.  Perhaps that second core is all it would need...
Pages: [1]   Go Up