INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weather Error  (Read 5982 times)

lhwidget

• World Citizen
Weather Error
« on: November 08, 2011, 06:10:26 pm »

Has anybody else had this failure with the Weather screen in Theater View? 

All was working until MC pushed the final update install to V16.0.181.  It's not the end of the world, but I did use it quite often and miss it.

I was thinking the Web service might have been down, but this has been continuing for about 2 weeks now.

Re-configuring just generates an additional error.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Weather Error
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 06:12:58 pm »

Weather.com changed their business model and is closed unless we subscribe.  

MC17 added support for NOAA (in the U.S.) and Google.  It also adds multiple locations.

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 06:31:23 pm »

Thanks Jim.

Is MC 17 considered stable enough for mainstream use now?

By the way, Thanks for the extra locations, much appreciated!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 07:45:45 pm »

MC17 is definitely safe to use.

Grape Ape

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 06:41:11 pm »

Is there a chance that this will get fixed for MC 16 users?

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 06:59:42 pm »

It didn't sound like it, they re-wrote the weather portion to use a different data source when weather.com asked for money...

I know it costs a bit to upgrade, but it works fine in MC17.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 12:56:25 am »

Being that it's a feature that is included in the price of MC16 I'm guesing it's going to be fixed so that we get it back. I mean I can't see how JRiver would charge us for MC16 and it's included features and then ask us to pay for upgrading to MC17 because they don't feel they owe us the fix on MC16 when a plug-in breaks/changes/or whatever. I'm confident the JRiver team are working on an update for MC16. As for myself, I bought MC16 for ALL it's features - weather module included. I'd be a little more than pissed if a plug-in breaks and then I'm asked to pay an upgrade to MC17 to get it working again. Even if support stopped for MC16 the promised feature sets should still be consistently monitored and maintained.
Custom PC based music systems and information panels....really.
www.jdsmarthome.com

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 07:26:03 am »

Being that it's a feature that is included in the price of MC16 I'm guesing it's going to be fixed so that we get it back. I mean I can't see how JRiver would charge us for MC16 and it's included features and then ask us to pay for upgrading to MC17 because they don't feel they owe us the fix on MC16 when a plug-in breaks/changes/or whatever. I'm confident the JRiver team are working on an update for MC16. As for myself, I bought MC16 for ALL it's features - weather module included. I'd be a little more than pissed if a plug-in breaks and then I'm asked to pay an upgrade to MC17 to get it working again. Even if support stopped for MC16 the promised feature sets should still be consistently monitored and maintained.

A valid point.  v16 is still the primary version for sale right now.

I was just happy that there was an instant solution, even if it did cost $19.  It will be interesting to see Jim's thoughts...

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 12:00:21 pm »

I use the weather alot because of how I use MC16 - as an information panel - and the weather was a requirement that I had when I purchased the software.  The weather module is a part of MC16's feature set. It should be supported when it breaks. If you buy a new car and the tranny breaks, do you return the car to get fixed because you bought a new car?
www.jdsmarthome.com

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 12:05:31 pm »

Be nice.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 12:12:16 pm »

Be nice.

Sorry Jim, just didn't feel the need for the attack. BTW, as I've already said I think JRiver fits my needs PERFECTLY - and I've used many front ends. It just works, and that's what I love. But.....what about the weather? Will we see it fixed in MC16?

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 12:16:49 pm »

Sorry Jim, just didn't feel the need for the attack. BTW, as I've already said I think JRiver fits my needs PERFECTLY - and I've used many front ends. It just works, and that's what I love. But.....what about the weather? Will we see it fixed in MC16?

Jimmy
If it can be done easily, we will.  But the problem isn't an MC problem.  It's that the source of the data went away.

Grape Ape

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 11:10:33 pm »

Well, a fix would be nice. MC16 does everything I need it to do, except weather now, and I don't like to be shaken down for another $20 for a fix. 

Grape Ape

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 11:15:32 pm »

I also disagree that it's not a MC problem. It 100% is a MC problem because you decided where the data came from for this feature. It's not your customers fault that your data source changed their revenue structure. My "contract" is with JRiver, not weather.com.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 12:25:56 pm »

FYI: From the EULA:

7. UPGRADES AND UPDATES.  This license does not entitle Licensees of the PRODUCT to Updates or Upgrades to the PRODUCT. If Updates or Upgrades to the PRODUCT are made available, they will be available from http://www.jrmediacenter.com and will be subject to JRiver's then current license agreement and payment of additional license fees, if any.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 02:36:08 pm »

I don't think that fixin an integral component of the product woulf be considered an upgrade - regardless if the source that MC16 uses is no longer viable. If the weather module was an upgrade and not an included feature set, would it not be listed in the 3rd party section? Would I not have a choice to install it or not? Being that it came with the product, and a purchaser may have made his decision to purchase the product on it's stated and included features, and then it fails to perform those features, would he not be entitled to at least get it fixed and not asked to buy a whole new product that he does not need or want to have it working again? As for myself, I bought MC16 because I wanted ALL the features that the company advertices MC16 comes with. I do not need MC17 (beta, BTW and not an official Gold release). Upgrading to beta MC17 is optional so I chose to stick with GOLD MC16. I don't want a buggy beta version. Weather is part of the intrnal code that I purchased in MC16 and it worked when I downloaded the trial version. A decision was made based on the trial versions feature sets, and I purchased the product. A few days later an important component of the software has failed to operate - for whatever reason. For me, I wanted the weather. I'm sure many don't need it, and that's fine. They can choose to not use it. But I wanted it, and I paid for it. I don't want to upgrade to a beta version to get it back. If the Blu Ray consortium changed the way they handle the Blu Ray keys and thus making MC unuseable at Blu Ray playback, would not many people be a bit tiffed and expected fixed? If that problem was fixed on an upgraded version and JRiver said they must pay the upgrade to get it working again, would that be fair? At the end of the day it is an easy fix for the team to rewrite the weather code for the new address, and it would be in their best interest to satisfy the paying customer for this small fix. JRiver has the final word about this, but this could mean the difference between keeping and losing a few people. For me, this is the last front end that I will need - it has everything I want and it works (well, mostly :) ). I've used many front ends, but MC16 is just such a great product that I've got to give hudos to where they're due. But I also think that the same level to attention that went into making this great product will also go into maintaining good customer relationships. After all, no one is asking for a new product, just a working product that was bought. I'm confident a solution will be made the the JRiver team.

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

Grape Ape

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 05:02:00 pm »

http://www.jriver.com/download.html

Here is the official download of the current release of MC. You get to it from the main jriver.com page. Anybody who buys MC16, and downloads it from the official page will get this version. After installing it, and they try to configure the built in official weather information, they will be confronted with an error message. To me, this is the best test on if we should be complaining or not. I don't have to download an app, or do anything to get the weather. It's just there. It's there with audio, video, photos, television etc. If they no longer want to spend any time or resources to get this main piece of functionality working, then they should release a new version that does not include weather, and remove any mention of weather functionality from their website.

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 05:30:13 pm »

http://www.jriver.com/download.html

Here is the official download of the current release of MC. You get to it from the main jriver.com page. Anybody who buys MC16, and downloads it from the official page will get this version. After installing it, and they try to configure the built in official weather information, they will be confronted with an error message.

cut

I realize Weather is a little thing for many users, however, the Out-Of-Box/first impression first time users will experience (for the entire MC program) could be could be effected by this in a bad way.

Grape Ape

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 10:15:56 pm »

http://riderfan.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/MC16.jpg <-- screenshot

Here is the webpage you go to when you buy MC16. http://www.jriver.com/htpc.html

It seems pretty clear to me that weather comes standard with MC16. Either put weather back, or fix your page.
Pages: [1]   Go Up