INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to add Pseudo Items to the Library?  (Read 4210 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Is it possible to add Pseudo Items to the Library?
« on: July 23, 2011, 01:09:34 am »

Odd, Q but Is it possible to add an Item to the Library that does not exist on the HDD?

I'm thinking of adding all the Coverart, Tags etc for the 00's of Physical Discs that I have so I can keep track of what I have.  I'd like to be able to browse these items in TheaterView just but of course could not play them.

Thanks
Nathan

JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Is it possible to add Pseudo Items to the Library?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 01:17:58 am »

Yes it's possible with a workaround. I believe rick.ca is the expert. I think he creates dummy files, assigns them a media type and then tags them. As we see automated metdadata scraping happen in MC, it might be a very useful thing to have has a supported feature.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 01:35:18 am »

Thanks - I've once tried the dummy file approach using a short video clip saying Please Insert Disc..... that I copy over and over and over - is this still the easiest way of getting an entry?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 02:17:47 am »

Also I'm fine with the basic info and Coverart we get from the MC Wikipedia lookup but there is no Genre applied from what I can see ... is this correct and if so is their a basic set of Genres that is used eg just a broad half dozen or so....like
- Action
- Drama
- Horror
- Comedy
- Romance (or Chick Flick?)
- Kids
JRiver CEO Elect

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 02:25:05 am »

Have you considered using Personal Video Database? It would probably save you time in gathering meta data and posters. Once your database is populated, it's a simple matter to export a list of titles that can be crunched into a batch file that creates a dummy file (I use a LOG extension) for each title. Those are then scanned by PVD and associated with the movie records. Once they are imported by PvdImport, they provide the link between the two programs, and PvdImport automatically updates all the records in MC.

It's pretty basic, but you might also appreciate PVD can scan the disks using MediaInfo and records that information. That provides basic but reliable information about stream types, bitrates, total size, duration, etc.

Also I'm fine with the basic info and Coverart we get from the MC Wikipedia lookup...

That's clearly less fuss, but you get what you pay for... ;)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 02:31:47 am »

Thanks I"ll give PVD a shot:
1) Downloading and installing form: http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/
2) I did a search here and saw a range of threads regarding the PvdImport - which one should I follow / post in?

JRiver CEO Elect

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 03:12:50 am »

Use PvdImport Test log V. I think raldo must have run out of steam just before releasing this so-called beta version. It's stable and has new features you'll want. It's been so long, I don't even know if the released version works in MC16.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 03:15:45 am »

I must be thick - I can work out how to add a movie in PVD, it grabs Coverart etc but no data apart from the imdb URL.  Do I need to be a member and logged on to IMDB?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 03:32:23 am »

IMDB has this as a list of Genres...good enough for me!

Action
Adventure
Animation
Biography
Comedy
Crime
Documentary
Drama
Family
Fantasy
Film-Noir
Game-Show
History
Horror
Music
Musical
Mystery
News
Reality-TV
Romance
Sci-Fi
Sport
Talk-Show
Thriller
War
Western

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Video Genres
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 03:46:55 am »

Just reviewed this with the family and looks like we are going of our own cut down custom list based on the content we actually have and a couple of our own:
Action
Chick Flick (the stuff my wife likes)
Comedy
Documentary
Drama
Kids (the stuff kids like)
Fantasy
Horror
Musical
Sci-Fi
Teen (the stuff teenagers like)
JRiver CEO Elect

minolotus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 04:58:16 am »

I must be thick - I can work out how to add a movie in PVD, it grabs Coverart etc but no data apart from the imdb URL.  Do I need to be a member and logged on to IMDB?

You don't need to have an account at IMDB to download the information. Have you checked the settings under Tools - Preferences - plug-in - imdb?

rick.ca

Re: Video Genres
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 01:56:38 pm »

Just reviewed this with the family and looks like we are going of our own cut down custom list based on the content we actually have and a couple of our own...

If you're going to import Genres (using PVD or otherwise), I recommend not messing with the imported data. If you're using PvdImport, you would have to enter your personal "genres" in PVD. Otherwise, it would detect the change you made directly in MC and overwrite it. In this case, it would be better to add another field for what the data actually is—a "Preferred by" (family member)—and use that as a separate category in your Theatre View movie views.

BTW, it's not at all practical, but when you have lots of good meta data it's fun to create a smartlist that attempts to predict the "preferred user"—as mentioned here. 8)

In another situation where the data you're adding really is more of the same, I would still recommend using a separate field. That way, you can maintain the integrity of the original data, see exactly what you've added, and just combine them using an expression.

minolotus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 06:11:45 pm »

You don't need to have an account at IMDB to download the information. Have you checked the settings under Tools - Preferences - plug-in - imdb?

There is currently a problem with the imdb script. Turn off downloading images under Tools - Preferences - plug-in - imdb - configure. Then, the download should run without a problem.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 06:33:24 pm »

I think this is how it is configured out of the box (see pic) - I've not changed a thing ...
JRiver CEO Elect

rick.ca

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 07:29:31 pm »

It looks like you've got an old version of the plugin. Run Help > Check for updates to get the current version. Don't assume the "out-of-the-box" configuration is what you want. For example, the default Overwrite fields settings are for "save if empty." That may be fine, but for a better starting point click the "All" button to change them all to "overwrite" (a check mark). As for the bug mentioned, just make sure "Download images" is not selected.

And if you need more help, please ask at PVD Support so we don't get bounced from here. ;)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 08:26:03 pm »

Your right, drifted way off topic with the PVD Stuff.
JRiver CEO Elect

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 08:52:08 pm »

Let me try to real it back in  ;D

Thanks - I've once tried the dummy file approach using a short video clip saying Please Insert Disc..... that I copy over and over and over - is this still the easiest way of getting an entry?

I do this too, works fine for me. You could get smarter about it by generating symbolic links to a single file (rather than generating many identical ones). I've thought about this in the past but the physical files have some benefits too IMO. 
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 09:02:33 pm »

Yeah like the data held in the sidecar files and coverart that is generated from the filename.
JRiver CEO Elect

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 09:57:09 pm »

Would not symlinks, which are reparse point files, require n + 1 files, in addition to requiring 2n file ops?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rick.ca

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 03:08:07 am »

As inane as it may seem, this conversation has prompted me to implement a long overdue improvement in my use of dummy files. Occasionally I accidentally play one. The LOG extension is associated with my default text editor, so the (usually null) file would open in that. Not a happy event while using Theatre View from the couch. Now my LOG files are associated with an AHK script which uses the file location to select an appropriate audio message to play (e.g., "This video has been viewed and is no longer available.") 8)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 04:21:23 am »

I'm a bit late to the party here, but, you know that all you need to do is let MC 'see' each disc, if it hasn't already, and it then records an entry for it in its own CD database?

You can then create a view in standard view that shows only those files, (Modify results > Limit database to > CD) and tag the entries to your hearts content.

You can then add a Theatre View view that lets you browse this offline media by setting the "files to display" to be limited to the CD database.

No need for dummy files. Or did I miss a bit somewhere?

-marko

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 06:21:46 am »

Thanks for all the feedback.  I've now tagged (using MC's wikipedia lookup) about 250 Blu ray discs using a small template video file, I copy / rename for each one (when played it says go and get it from the library).  It was reasonable quick....now to convert the 100+ HD DVD to Blu and repeat!
JRiver CEO Elect

rick.ca

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 06:26:42 am »

No need for dummy files. Or did I miss a bit somewhere?

No, that's probably the first option to consider. No dummy files required, and it has the advantage of recording [Last Played] and [Number Plays]. But there are fewer options for maintaining meta data. And dummy files can be used for situations where there is no disc. Since the purpose of the CD database is to record the physical disc (I guess it records the volume serial number or something), it seems unlikely it could be used for records not associated with a disc.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 07:08:48 am »

Mmm. What I need now is someway of holding say up to 500 Blu-ray discs that a user can flip thought to select the one they want (sort of like what Video Stores have but ones that can fit into a cupboard....almost like trays you can pull out).  At present they are just in stacks in a cupboard and they soon "spread out"
JRiver CEO Elect

rick.ca

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 11:45:07 am »

Just curious... Are there disc-changers that can be used with MC? Obviously such things are designed to handle and play the discs themselves, but do any connect to a computer/network and allow disc play to be triggered remotely?

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 05:24:42 pm »

Just curious... Are there disc-changers that can be used with MC? Obviously such things are designed to handle and play the discs themselves, but do any connect to a computer/network and allow disc play to be triggered remotely?

Not that I'm aware. I asked about MC support for this years ago (DVD changers). I'd probably debate the need for this today :-)
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

rick.ca

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 05:45:01 pm »

I'd probably debate the need for this today

I only ask out of idle curiosity. I agree—he should rip his 500 BD. ;D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 06:08:16 pm »

Don't joke.  I am in two minds on physical vs ripping (need another 20tb).  ...but what is the point of ripping stuff that is rarely viewed...
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up