INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPNP Control Points Acting Strange Nowadays [Solved]  (Read 1774 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
UPNP Control Points Acting Strange Nowadays [Solved]
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:59:03 pm »

Good morning MC World!!!

Sometime since MC16 rolled out, the way in which the UPNP Server interacts with a control point has changed

The new development is as follows, and occurs identically with PlugPlayer and eLyric.

- Select an entire album/playlist and start playback.
- Playback starts and plays in order as it should.  Track 1, Track 2 etc...
- All is well until the app is minimized or screen is locked.
- Then when you re-enter the app, the currently playing track will be at the end of the list (in addition to where it actually exists in the original playlist/album
- Of course when this song ends, the playlist is over and the music stops.

Basically, once the app stops directly talking to MC, it loses the playlist queue.

This wasn't always the case and I am wondering what possibly changed on MC's end of things regarding how current tracks and playlists are handled??

Is it possible for me to "rollback" to a previous build in order to eliminate this?  Does anyone inside MC's Dev Team know if something significant was changed in this area?

If memory serves, it was working properly after MC16 but changed somewhere in between then and now.

Thanks in advance!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

pcstockton

Re: UPNP Control Points Acting Strange Nowadays
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 08:35:21 am »

no one?
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:22:39 am »

DLNA sends one file at a time.

That means you can't turn off the controller.

There are some workarounds like making the one file a playlist or using non-standard functions, but neither are widely supported.

Gizmo (on Android) sends a playlist, so allows the controller to be shutdown.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pcstockton

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 01:15:51 am »

Thanks Matt.

That may be....but something has changed.  Previously everything worked fine.

-p

Robo983

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 02:00:01 pm »

Thanks Matt.

That may be....but something has changed.  Previously everything worked fine.

-p

pcstockton, I seem to think something has changed too in the last few weeks but I think there was an update to PP and I do not have eLyric but seriously thinking of getting it because I too thought I was seeing strange things from PP not seen before. I get a lot more lock ups and reboots than I remember getting. I was seeing the playlist stop in the middle of a song and jump down two songs or just start by skipping the first few songs. I turned off the ignore stop events and it seems to have fixed the latter. It thought it was always on for me before...but anyway I have always thought the problems were plugplayer, WebRemote works flawlessly and quick.

I still think something is wrong but am trying to isolate a consistent problem. I use it over 3g, wifi over the internet from work and at home so not sure what problems I am having where. For now seems to be working at work but does lock up and reboot and the play/pause button is out of sync with what is actually going on.

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 02:22:20 pm »

The issue is not with plugplayer.  I gave up asking about it here as no one seems to care about anything relating to an iDevice.  For your info, the problem is the same with eLyric.

I tried three other UPNP Servers with both PlugPlayer and eLyric and all of them worked as they were supposed to, i.e. they do not append the currently playing track to the end of the playlist.

I am back to using the Remote App with Foobar as I find it to be the best option available.  This sucks because I do prefer to use Theater Mode in JRiver.  But unfortunately viable control point options for MC are few and far between.  I seriously cannot think of another platform/media player that doesn't have some kind of iOS app or at least compliance with one.

I get that this community is basically anti-Apple and i am fine with that.  I dont own a Mac myself.  I understand that MC devs have ZERO interest in developing an iOS app.  But I dont understand how/why JRiver has not developed a relationship with either PP or PSAudio (eLyric), seeing that both seemingly want to work with them.  JRiver gets free development and a control point that will help sell their software. 

I think PSAudio, despite developing their own Server, suggests MC as a great option.  There are a few stickies mentioning how to configure MC to work correctly with their Networked DAC.

Anyway...... I am going to try to figure out how to roll back to a previous build of MC.  I will let this thread know which build will reverse this problem.  Maybe that would pinpoint the change MC made.  Perhaps they can change it back???

Take Care,
Patrick

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 03:09:09 pm »

The issue is not with plugplayer.  I gave up asking about it here as no one seems to care about anything relating to an iDevice.
We've spent a fair amount of time working with plugplayer and trying to get things smoothed out.

And we're focusing on Android because they're open and growing fast.  They've left Apple in their dust:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/11/gartner-nokia-held-off-apple-in-smartphone-sales-in-2q-2011/ (via engadget.com)

pcstockton

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 04:37:37 pm »

I haven't even seen a Nokia phone since 1999 and I was on VoiceStream (pre TMobile).

I am sure both sides can present different data sets that show one thing or another regarding ubiquity.  That said, I only know one person with an Android based phone, ironically it is my only friend who uses a Mac.

Regardless, how has seemingly every other software, hardware, audio/video manufacturer missed the boat?  They are ALL wrong to have developed an iOS app rather than, or in addition to, an Android App? 

Anyone I can think of has iOS if only one option.  Most develop for both platforms.

I am not asking that you keep from going against the grain.  It just that your stance on iOS has an "Apple vs Flash" feel to it. 

Why cant we all get along??

Mac OS is certainly not my flavor.  I would never buy a computer running it.  But the iOS and corresponding hardware are both amazing.  I think you would agree that regardless of who is "bigger", there are a TON of iPad and iPhones out there and will be for a long time.  Anyone wanting to continue to contend in this marketplace with a $50 media player (the single most reason people wont even demo it) should offer, at a profit, an iOS app. 

I have already spent $80 on MC.  I will continue to drop $30 every time you upgrade.  But without a decent control point other than the computer interface itself, I cant say how much longer that lasts.  The control point is quickly becoming one of the most important aspects of streaming music and hifi in general.  I would buy your iOS remote for $9.99 without blinking an eye. Or more if you need it.  Whatever.... 

I already use Foobar almost exclusively when I cant use the HDTV for music (my Music PC uses my TV as a monitor) because of the ability to use Remote App.  Money. 

Lastly, what is open about Android apps?  Are you saying you can get apps from any joe in the world?  There is no submission process/rules?  How is this different than Apple?  I am not joking FYI.  I figured both moderated the party in some fashion.  Given the ridiculous number of iOS apps out there, good and bad, it cant be that can it? 

Cheers!
Patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 09:37:17 am »

Many thanks for fixing this issue in .171

I am SO happy.

Cheers!
Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up