INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help making a date imported view, that will stick forever.  (Read 1496 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Help making a date imported view, that will stick forever.
« on: August 20, 2011, 10:05:15 am »

How would one make a date imported view that stays forever. meaning if i move files from one drive to another, or to a different pc, and if those files were ripped or download in 2010, and then i go to say movies/ recently imported/keywords view it would not show those movies until i get to all 2010 movies?

Every-time i move files my recently imported changes,, or every-time i re-install jriver, my recently imported is never right by year imported/ripped to HDD.

Hope this makes sense..
Thanks in advance

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Help making a date imported view, that will stick forever.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 11:11:33 am »

Create your own date imported field, and save that field to tags.

You could create it as a calculated field, that extracts from from [date imported].  To prevent this from occurring a second time, use an expression which only updates [my date imported] with [date imported] when [my date imported] is empty:

Eg pseudo code.

if isempty [my date imported] then
  [my date imported] = [date imported]
endif
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 12:08:54 pm »

thanks for quick reply... so i need to make an additional date imported field? what should it be named? i thought all tags were saved in sidecars?
if i need to make an additional field, would that field then be smart enough to know when that file was originally downloaded/transfered/created on pc/HDD? so that it will always be that date. example all my dvd's i ripped 3 years ago. but everytime i re-install jriver or move files around, all those dvd's always show up as recently imported, they don't show up as 3 year old imported movies.

Could you elaborate a little more please. i'm not fully understanding the steps to take.

Thanks for clarification.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 12:31:00 pm »

Sure.

Name the field whatever helps you remember it.

Here's a little info that should guide towards understanding tags, fields, properties:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File_Properties_%28tags%29

(it is a work in progress)

Fields aren't smart - they contain what they've been told to contain.  If you'd prefer to have the field retain a Date Created value, you can do that.

Date Imported means the date and time that MC first added the entry into its own database (aka the Library).  Different Libraries will have different Date Imported fields for a given track.  But Date Created is a file system date for a file, and it doesn't change unless you change the file (which will happen when tags are written).  So if you want to maintain some idea of a date when you first entered a track into any MC database, you have to a) create something (a field) to manage that, and b) write it out to a tag so that it is available outside of MC's and any one library.  Where tags are actually written depends on the file type.

Have a read of the link above, and we'll go onto next steps...

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 01:25:47 pm »

Will Do... Thanks!

HTPC4ME

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:10:16 pm »

is it possible for me to overwrite date imported rules? and make it date created?
or is it similar to artist and genre, where we have to make/use ArtistS and Keywords to replace those?

Also i'm in the process of researching a server solution. Right now all my drives are 1 tera, If i upgrade to all 3 teras, and transfer all files over to those 3 teras, would those date created stay the same, or would they all be new again? if the same, would rule above work the same?

Thanks

MrC

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 11:51:14 am »

is it possible for me to overwrite date imported rules? and make it date created?
or is it similar to artist and genre, where we have to make/use ArtistS and Keywords to replace those?
Two concepts here: 1) can read-only fields be modified by the user.  2) can the user change the data type of a stock field.

Answer to 1: sometimes, and I haven't tested trying to overwrite date fields, nor have any idea about the implications of doing so for a date field.  But see: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Changing_the_number_of_plays.

Answer to 2: No.

If your goal is to simply maintain your own date, which only you change, it is probably best to use a new field and not attempt to hijack an existing one and impose new semantics.

Quote from: xtacbyme
Also i'm in the process of researching a server solution. Right now all my drives are 1 tera, If i upgrade to all 3 teras, and transfer all files over to those 3 teras, would those date created stay the same, or would they all be new again? if the same, would rule above work the same?

The three dates maintained by the file system (date created, modified, accessed) are managed by the file system when operations are performed on the files that create, modify or access the files.  There are archival and copy utilities to allow preserving those dates; you'll just have to use one of those to transfer your media files to a new system.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 04:09:52 pm »

Makes sense. Thank You :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up